Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Just found out something VERY interesting about Steam!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Just found out something VERY interesting about Steam!! Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Just found out something VERY interesting about Steam!! - 11/11/2014 1:45:21 AM   
aaatoysandmore

Now, all you in favor of Steam that say you don't have to have steam to play your games offline. Take a look into your TASK MANAGER when you try to play that game "offline" by just clicking the application.exe icon (the icon that you press to usually load a game). Several things in the STEAM CLIENT LOAD into your task manger. Now, you say they will run without steam. Then delete steam from your computer and try to run those same programs. The Steam client exclusive ones like Rome II (AAA title) will not load or run.

Here are some of the files it has to load for your game to work in "OFFLINE" mode

1 Steam.exe *32

2 Steamwebhelper.exe *32

3 Steamreporter.exe (something that popsup for a few seconds and then goes away but the fact that it still has to popup is still there.

So, it apparently looks like with AAA titles and those exclusive to Steam have to install some steam client items even when you play offline or the game will not run.

If you don't believe me try it yourself it's not hard to find just press CTRL + ALT + DELETE at the same time and a box that has the words task manager at the bottom of that box will appear. Click on that and then goto processes and look for the name of your computer in the processes. System programs usually have to be running but USER or name of your computer processes do not. If you use the sort feature that is installed into taskmanager when you open it you can click on PROCESSES in the tabs at the top until all of the programs are in User (name of your computer order) and then system programs below it.

Now, though here's the kicker. In your TASK BAR down at the bottom of your screen look for the steam icon. If you try to exit this it will close down your game as well. Some form of Steam.exe *32 has to be running in your task manager for the AAA title or game exclusive to play on Steam will run.

I tested this several ways by copying the files in the Steam folder for Rome II to another folder outside of Steam. When I click on the Rome II.exe application icon the same thing happens it has to process Steam.exe *32.

I understand some games that aren't exclusive to Steam can probably be made to work without the Steam client but the majority of AAA titles will now.

Now, I'm going to test a Paradox game Crusader Kings II.

Ok, since CKII is not exclusive to the Steam Client it will play without the steam.exe an other steam programs loading. I dare say the Matrixgames games you get from Steam will work as well without Steam.

So, now I'm pretty sure all of the Total War games exclusive to Steam won't run unless the Steam client is installed an able to run a few programs EVEN in offline mode.

I'ma test one more Xcom: The Unknown

And as I suspected it "requires" the Steam.exe *32 as well as the two others to run even in offline mode.

One more X3:Terran Conflict

Yeppers same programs everytime. That client has to be in place to even play offline. Without the steam client and that Steam.exe *32 they won't run.

Very interesting discoveries tonight. I always thought something of the Steam Client had to load even offline as it always popped up a screen checking my account and then disappeared. I bet that is that steamreport one listed above.

If you're concerned about it just run each of your steam games one at a time and look at the task manager. If Steam.exe *32 doesn't show up then you can have and play that game forever an ever (provided you at least keep your cd keys saved somewheres). It really has no ties to Steam at all. But, if you see Steam.exe *32 you might wanna worry a bit cause for what ever reason Steam decides to cancel or ban your account you will lose those games. Besides the point they may go out of business one day and nothing lasts forever you know except taxes and death.

< Message edited by aaatoysandmore -- 11/11/2014 3:04:30 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Just found out something VERY interesting about Ste... - 11/11/2014 1:54:23 AM   
terje439

quick question, does those files require you to connect TO steam by the net?

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 2
RE: Just found out something VERY interesting about Ste... - 11/11/2014 1:58:01 AM   
aaatoysandmore

Nope I just found that out cause I disconnected my modem entirely and those files are IN your computer in the Steam Client folder. It basically checks your information locally I see not in the clouds as I thought. But, the process still remains that those files have to load or the game won't run. When I try to shut down the steam.exe *32 from task manager it shuts down Rome II total war and Shogun Total War and Xcom and X3:Terran as welll. But, not CKII since that is not "exclusive" to Steam.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 3
RE: Just found out something VERY interesting about Ste... - 11/11/2014 2:07:14 AM   
terje439

Ok, so you need steam installed, but you do not need to be able to connect to steam?
Works for me

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

Post #: 4
RE: Just found out something VERY interesting about Ste... - 11/11/2014 2:08:53 AM   
aaatoysandmore

Sid Meier's Ace Patrol add to that list that requires Steam.exe *32. Also another interesting popup for it in offline mode. A blank page of a EULA agreement that it wants me to accept. This is crazy now.

Post #: 5
RE: Just found out something VERY interesting about Ste... - 11/11/2014 2:10:44 AM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

Ok, so you need steam installed, but you do not need to be able to connect to steam?
Works for me

Yes you must have steam installed or those steam.exe *32 an others won't load up and those AAA titles or all exclusive games to steam won't load. I did say SOME games will load without steam. If you're only playing those then this doesn't concern you. It's for those that buy and play AAA titles exclusive to Steam.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 6
RE: Just found out something VERY interesting about Ste... - 11/11/2014 2:12:05 AM   
Ranger33

But you are still playing "offline" correct? Some games still launch through the Steam program, but it's not really doing anything, it's just kind of passively there. I imagine it would be a simple thing for those games to be patched to not launch through Steam, in the highly unlikely case that Valve went belly-up.

Post #: 7
RE: Just found out something VERY interesting about Ste... - 11/11/2014 2:16:41 AM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranger33

But you are still playing "offline" correct? Some games still launch through the Steam program, but it's not really doing anything, it's just kind of passively there. I imagine it would be a simple thing for those games to be patched to not launch through Steam, in the highly unlikely case that Valve went belly-up.

Yes you are playing offline, but, if you think you don't have any connection to Steam in the OFFLINE mode. Just delete Steam.exe *32 from your task manager. Or just exit out of Steam from your Steam icon in your task bar. Right click and press exit. If the game is "exclusive" to Steam it will shut down even in offline mode. Therefore you do need steam client all the time for some games to run.

Understand "exclusive" means it will only run if you have the Steam Client. Some games don't require the client to run I even understand that. But, many of the AAA titles do. I couldn't believe Sid Meier's Ace Patrol is now on that list of required though.

EDIT: Also if it's just kinda passively there then how come it's just not passively there for all the games? Why just the ones exclusive to Steam?

< Message edited by aaatoysandmore -- 11/11/2014 3:19:26 AM >

(in reply to Ranger33)
Post #: 8
RE: Just found out something VERY interesting about Ste... - 11/11/2014 2:30:53 AM   
Ranger33

I believe it's a choice of the game developer/publisher whether Steam runs in the background or not. Part of the purpose of Steam is to act as DRM, and I imagine there are different levels of "security."

I know one thing Steam does in almost all games is provide the Steam overlay when you press Shift-Tab, that includes chatting with your friends, links to community content for that game, and a web browser. Steam would have to be running in the background to do that. You can turn it off if you want to.

< Message edited by Ranger33 -- 11/11/2014 3:31:36 AM >

Post #: 9
RE: Just found out something VERY interesting about Ste... - 11/11/2014 2:38:34 AM   
aaatoysandmore

Well, I do understand that when I disconnect from the internet I'm not really physically connected to steam. But, there are still processes of Steam that have to run for certain games to run (even offline) I'm pretty sure of now. I know not all games really require the steam client now and all I would wish for here is Steam to tell us in the store page whether the game is all exclusive to steam or not. I think that would not only help me but them as well. Since more people will have a better understanding of Steam and more choices about which games they want to buy. I don't always know every game that is exclusive to Steam but I do now know most AAA titles are.

(in reply to Ranger33)
Post #: 10
RE: Just found out something VERY interesting about Ste... - 11/11/2014 2:58:09 AM   
aaatoysandmore

Now here's one in "offline" mode that won't even run with the Steam.exe *32 running in the background. I "have" to be online to play this one. Fancy that huh? It works fine online but when I tried to load it offline it crashes every time. Oh the game? Talisman Digital.

Fixing to try Civilization V any takers out there? As suspected needs those files.

Post #: 11
RE: Just found out something VERY interesting about Ste... - 11/11/2014 4:35:14 AM   
Greybriar

quote:

I believe it's a choice of the game developer/publisher whether Steam runs in the background or not....

Yes, it is. In the words of Johan Andersson at Paradox Development Studio, "Steam is NOT a DRM, unless a developer wants it to be."

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to Ranger33)
Post #: 12
RE: Just found out something VERY interesting about Ste... - 11/11/2014 6:27:36 AM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

quote:

I believe it's a choice of the game developer/publisher whether Steam runs in the background or not....

Yes, it is. In the words of Johan Andersson at Paradox Development Studio, "Steam is NOT a DRM, unless a developer wants it to be."

Only sad thing is most AAA developers want it to be from my research. Only Paradox games so far run without that Steam.exe *32 running in the background. I would imagine most indie titles don't use Steam for DRM but I haven't found any yet.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 13
RE: Just found out something VERY interesting about Ste... - 11/11/2014 7:08:51 AM   
Rising-Sun

When Skyrim first came out, and required Steam to run, I was very upset over this. For those doesn't have the internet or cant afford it, since I was living out of the area or city limit. So I had to find a place to hook up the internet on my pc, then install Steam and Skyrim. Headed back home and play it offline lol.

One thing about Steam, you wont get your refund back and hardly any helps if needed. So becareful what you spend on, doing some research may help to.

Off topic here, I just poked around on Paradox's Forum on Hearts of Iron IV and see what going on over there as a guest, just saw a few users gotten banned. Was told you cant get banned over there and something isn't right over there. Some fans been over there for along time with many posts. Sorry to add this topic aaatoysandmore, just like to know what the hell is going on over there in Paradox's Forum. I know the moderator locked up my thread and probably a good idea before it get out of hands.

Post #: 14
RE: Just found out something VERY interesting about Ste... - 11/11/2014 7:32:34 AM   
aaatoysandmore

Oh no problem this thread will fall by the wayside anyways unless we get some pro Steam posters. I just wanted to inform the uninformed in case anyone didn't know about the Steam.exe *32 even offline program running in the background.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 15
RE: Just found out something VERY interesting about Ste... - 11/11/2014 4:04:32 PM   
t001001001

We get it, you really, really don't like steam. How many threads is this now. What are you accomplishing, other than starting to annoy ppl w/ the constant complaining enough already. no mas!

Post #: 16
RE: Just found out something VERY interesting about Ste... - 11/11/2014 10:02:57 PM   
Dorb

+1.

I just don't get the big deal about it, its a hobby,- not food, shelter or clothing to be so worried about.

(in reply to t001001001)
Post #: 17
RE: Just found out something VERY interesting about Ste... - 11/12/2014 1:51:19 AM   
aaatoysandmore

There they come ^^^ I knew they would show up!

(in reply to Dorb)
Post #: 18
RE: Just found out something VERY interesting about Ste... - 11/12/2014 2:35:12 AM   
t001001001

A steam client runs on ur machine even when ur offline - JUST IN CASE ANYONE DIDN'T ALREADY KNOW THAT!!111

Post #: 19
RE: Just found out something VERY interesting about Ste... - 11/12/2014 4:06:35 AM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: t001001001

A steam client runs on ur machine even when ur offline - JUST IN CASE ANYONE DIDN'T ALREADY KNOW THAT!!111

Thanks for "CONFIRMING" that.

(in reply to t001001001)
Post #: 20
RE: Just found out something VERY interesting about Ste... - 11/12/2014 5:40:01 AM   
JudgeDredd

Sorry - what was the breaking news? That when you go offline, like...no internet right?...you can still play your Steam games?

Oh....ok.

Dude what's the big deal. I've heard, for many years now, that you can play your Steam games offline. I never EVER once thought that meant that some part of Steam would not load because I would assume some (I had assumed ALL to be honest) games would have a hook in there. But as long as I can play them when my internet goes down - I have no concerns. So the Steam client loads? I'm not running 2MBs of RAM anymore.

By the way - this statement right here...
quote:

...freakishly reminds me of someone. Anyone remember Ravinhood?

*edit*
to keep family safe

< Message edited by JudgeDredd -- 11/12/2014 7:13:20 AM >

Alba gu' brath

Post #: 21
RE: Just found out something VERY interesting about Ste... - 11/12/2014 11:14:58 AM   
Terl

quote:

Oh my, yes, your nemesis I believe? That was long ago and far away.....

As for Steam, I love it, do not care what it loads, it fits all my needs and during holiday and summer sales one can buy many games for a mere pittance. If you do not like it, then do not use it. Kind of like anything really, do not like Crest then use something else....don't like Ford, buy something else...

Strikes me as humorous that people get so anti-DRM yet run Windows...

I also enjoy that it works on my Linux machines as well with more and more Linux games available each month.

quote:

Is that supposed to mean "I can say anything I want but do not respond in my thread?

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 22
RE: Just found out something VERY interesting about Ste... - 11/12/2014 11:20:49 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terl

quote:

Oh my, yes, your nemesis I believe? That was long ago and far away.....

Indeed

quote:

As for Steam, I love it, do not care what it loads, it fits all my needs and during holiday and summer sales one can buy many games for a mere pittance. If you do not like it, then do not use it. Kind of like anything really, do not like Crest then use something else....don't like Ford, buy something else...

Exactly

quote:

quote:

Is that supposed to mean "I can say anything I want but do not respond in my thread?

Indeed. It's a smarty pants way of having your say without having anyone respond. There's the additional pat on the back that if anyone DOES come in to defend what they do, you predicted it. You were right. A "Bully for me" kind of thing.

But he got us....he was indeed right

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Terl)
Post #: 23
RE: Just found out something VERY interesting about Ste... - 11/12/2014 11:50:32 AM   
Terl

quote:

But he got us....he was indeed right

Meh, that is okay. I have some 200+ games on Steam to wile away the hours and give me solace, most of which were bought for $5 or less during their sales. And.....I even get Steam codes for Slitherine/Matrix titles that provide them (but I do buy them through the Matrix storefront)!

< Message edited by Terl -- 11/12/2014 1:03:46 PM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 24
RE: Just found out something VERY interesting about Ste... - 11/12/2014 5:47:26 PM   
gradenko2k

Ever since they implemented regional pricing I can get games even cheaper. Allied Corps for 6 USD while it's on sale.

(in reply to Terl)
Post #: 25
RE: Just found out something VERY interesting about Ste... - 11/12/2014 9:36:43 PM   
Dorb

quote:

ORIGINAL: t001001001

+1

< Message edited by Dorb -- 11/12/2014 10:37:41 PM >

(in reply to t001001001)
Post #: 26
RE: Just found out something VERY interesting about Ste... - 11/12/2014 9:38:10 PM   
Dorb

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Oh no problem this thread will fall by the wayside anyways unless we get some pro Steam posters. I just wanted to inform the uninformed in case anyone didn't know about the Steam.exe *32 even offline program running in the background.

We like the spam you serve.

Post #: 27
RE: Just found out something VERY interesting about Ste... - 11/12/2014 10:02:13 PM   
bairdlander2

So first you are ranting about how bad Steam is,then you ask for a link to their sale in another thread,now you are complaining about Steam again in this thread.

(in reply to Dorb)
Post #: 28
RE: Just found out something VERY interesting about Ste... - 11/13/2014 12:43:36 AM   
t001001001

< Message edited by t001001001 -- 11/13/2014 2:42:10 AM >

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 29
RE: Just found out something VERY interesting about Ste... - 11/13/2014 1:31:34 AM   
Aurelian

So if it's in the running background when offline, so what?

(in reply to t001001001)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Just found out something VERY interesting about Steam!! Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI