Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Laptop

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> New Laptop Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Laptop - 11/9/2014 2:50:26 PM   
Lowpe

I picked up a new/refurbished laptop to replace the aging beast that was on a death spiral.

At last count I think I have WITP AE up on like 5 computers, various versions, scattered at home and work. It just seems to grow! They are all my personal computers...God, am I sick or what? Don't answer that, it is self evident.

I will use my new to me Lenovo L510 picked up for $210 for my game against Tiemanj primarily. I need to port over Tracker, but managed to make the main game transition with no problem even found my old key code. The old laptop will get shot as soon as I get the rest of junk out of it.

But, I am quite impressed how the L510 plays WITP AE. Significantly faster than my old laptop, but a lot slower than a homemade computer that is a beast with fast current components (I don't need to play the game that fast).

I did strip the memory from another laptop, I seem to be swimming in computers, and upgraded the original 2 gb ram to 4, but other than that good to go.

So, my rambling point is that a refurbished laptop is quite good enough to run this game. Maybe not tracker when it gets huge, but then again, what computer can?

L510, 2 gb ram, 160 hard drive (tiny), 2.10GHz duo core for $210. Windows 7...soon to be Ubuntu/Windows 7. Next week my local community college is selling off their old computer gear, and I might pick up a backup Dell (a brand I generally don't like) for giggles probably around the same specs for $50 but not refurbished.
Post #: 1
RE: New Laptop - 11/9/2014 10:23:24 PM   
wdolson

We have 5 computers on pretty much 24/7. Two are for my SO's work, her main computer and one that serves as a sort of server. I also have two computers stacked as an end table. Neither is hooked up to anything at the moment, but I need to keep both for work stuff. Some of the hardware I work with requires a computer with an ISA slot and new motherboards haven't had those in over a decade. I also have two laptops, one bought in 1998 hasn't been on in years, but it is workable. The other is about 8 years old, but still works fine as a travel computer.

I have some old machines stacked in corners that haven't been used for years and about a year ago I gave away a large box of old computer parts to Free Geek (a Portland area computer rebuilder and recycler). Some of the stuff was so old they charged me to take it off my hands and recycle it.

Sounds like you're going to get some life out of the old computer. I would go with Windows 7 too. I think Win 7 is inferior to Win XP as far as usability goes, but with XP no longer supported, you have to do something.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2
RE: New Laptop - 11/10/2014 3:36:30 PM   
btd64

There's a therapy session for WITPAE addicts tomorrow at 9pm.....GP

Intel i7 3.4GHz,8GB Ram,1920x1080 rez

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DW Series-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

I don't like paying for the same real estate twice..Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 3
RE: New Laptop - 11/11/2014 2:15:57 PM   
moore4807

That's what I thought "The Thread" forum already was...

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 4
RE: New Laptop - 11/12/2014 3:49:45 PM   
Amoral

Just as an aside. If your computer is on 24/7 it is cheaper to buy a new one with power management features than to keep running a power hungry box from 5 years ago.

It costs about $0.078 an hour to run a computer from 2008. That is about $700 a year if it is on 24/7. Double that if you are also air conditioning your house.

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 5
RE: New Laptop - 11/12/2014 4:04:05 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Amoral

Just as an aside. If your computer is on 24/7 it is cheaper to buy a new one with power management features than to keep running a power hungry box from 5 years ago.

It costs about $0.078 an hour to run a computer from 2008. That is about $700 a year if it is on 24/7. Double that if you are also air conditioning your house. (But a small reduction in heating costs during heating periods.)

Are you using the power rating from the specs of the computer? On all products those are usually the maximum draw, actual power usage almost always far less.

$700 is a very large percentage of our yearly electric bill, and considering all of the other things we have running just seems too high.

(in reply to Amoral)
Post #: 6
RE: New Laptop - 11/12/2014 5:48:45 PM   
Amoral

I estimated $0.12 per kw/h for a 650watt device.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 7
RE: New Laptop - 11/12/2014 7:31:32 PM   
witpqs

OK, I think that explains it. 650 watts is way more than it would use 99% of the time.

(in reply to Amoral)
Post #: 8
RE: New Laptop - 11/12/2014 9:30:02 PM   
wdolson

Just because a computer has a 650W power supply doesn't mean you're ever going to draw that much power. All my computers are plugged into UPSs with displays that can be set to show how much power they are supplying. When the computer is up and running the power draw is around 125W. When idle it's less than that.

From what I've read the biggest idle power draw in the house is typically the flat screen TV. Those things consume a lot of power when they are supposed to be off. Other "smart" appliances like DVRs are always consuming power too.

I watch our electric bills closely. While I'm not 100% happy with our total electric usage, our average power consumption per hour for the entire house is always under 2000 W, and that includes air conditioning or the furnace, refrigerator, other appliances, lights, etc. For eye strain I need to have a lot of light in my work area when I'm working (I work from home), so that consumes a lot more electricity than the computer does.

I also live about 10 miles from the Bonneville dam and we get our power from there at the hydro rates (around $0.08 per KWH). So we're not breaking the bank.

Bill

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 9
RE: New Laptop - 11/13/2014 4:50:15 AM   
koniu

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Just because a computer has a 650W power supply doesn't mean you're ever going to draw that much power. All my computers are plugged into UPSs with displays that can be set to show how much power they are supplying. When the computer is up and running the power draw is around 125W. When idle it's less than that.

+1
Average moder PC (desktop) is using now ~100W in idle. But when stressed it can go 200-300W.
That mean for 90% PC users 400W Power supply is enough. There is also that last 10%, people that have best CPU and dual, triple or sometimes quad GPUs. For them sometimes 1000W cant be not enough.

What is important is Quality of Power Supply. It is better to have 400W bronze or silver star efficiency power supply (~80-85% efficiency) than low quality 600W power supply with 50-60% efficiency. That last to give You 300W to Your components will need to take from wall ~500W. First one will take from wall ~375W of power. You will have to pay little more for power supply but in long term it will save lot of money.

That extra power from wall usually change to heat. That why good power supplies are cold while in the same time on those low quality ones You can boil egg.

quote:

From what I've read the biggest idle power draw in the house is typically the flat screen TV. Those things consume a lot of power when they are supposed to be off. Other "smart" appliances like DVRs are always consuming power too.

From my experience. I had now new 40" Samsung LCD Smart TV with LED background light at 50%, maximal power use i saw ( i have wattmeter) was ~50W, when TV was shutdown it was using ~0,7W. My old 32" LCD TV with classic (fluorescent lamp) background light was using ~120W of power, in idle again ~1W.

Biggest power drain device in house is refrigerator. It can be responsible for 1/3 of total power drain.

If not needed i always cutting off my devices from power. That small red dot usually mean 1W of power drain but sometimes (like my old DVD player it was 10W in sleep). One device is not much but 10 give You some power.

quote:

I watch our electric bills closely. While I'm not 100% happy with our total electric usage, our average power consumption per hour for the entire house is always under 2000 W, and that includes air conditioning or the furnace, refrigerator, other appliances, lights, etc. For eye strain I need to have a lot of light in my work area when I'm working (I work from home), so that consumes a lot more electricity than the computer does.

You should try LED light. At least for me it is working well. It take me some time before i find quality of light i want to have but savings are huge. I spend some money to upgrade all my light sources but is see difference now in electric bills. Short story - total power consumption of my light sources was ~800W now when i have everything on it is ~120W.

With new TV, new LED light, good A+ class or better refrigerator, decent PC power supply and i manage to reduce bills by at lest 1/4. It is lot of money. Maney i spend shold return to me in about 3 Years.
Europe energy prices are huge. I am paying 0,20$ per KWH (for energy only) plus i need to pay some maney for have acces for energy so at the end i paying ~0,25$ per KWH. And everyone are telling that prices will go up in next years

)

< Message edited by koniu -- 11/13/2014 6:28:45 AM >

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 10
RE: New Laptop - 11/13/2014 7:16:17 AM   
wdolson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: koniu
+1
Average moder PC (desktop) is using now ~100W in idle. But when stressed it can go 200-300W.
That mean for 90% PC users 400W Power supply is enough. There is also that last 10%, people that have best CPU and dual, triple or sometimes quad GPUs. For them sometimes 1000W cant be not enough.

What is important is Quality of Power Supply. It is better to have 400W bronze or silver star efficiency power supply (~80-85% efficiency) than low quality 600W power supply with 50-60% efficiency. That last to give You 300W to Your components will need to take from wall ~500W. First one will take from wall ~375W of power. You will have to pay little more for power supply but in long term it will save lot of money.

That extra power from wall usually change to heat. That why good power supplies are cold while in the same time on those low quality ones You can boil egg.

I've built my own computers since 1987. (It's a lot easier these days than it was then!) In my primary use computers I use the best quality power supplies I can get. Both my SO and I are sensitive to noise, so all out computers are as quiet as we can get them. That includes using good quality power supplies that are very quiet.

quote:

quote:

From my experience. I had now new 40" Samsung LCD Smart TV with LED background light at 50%, maximal power use i saw ( i have wattmeter) was ~50W, when TV was shutdown it was using ~0,7W. My old 32" LCD TV with classic (fluorescent lamp) background light was using ~120W of power, in idle again ~1W.

Biggest power drain device in house is refrigerator. It can be responsible for 1/3 of total power drain.

If not needed i always cutting off my devices from power. That small red dot usually mean 1W of power drain but sometimes (like my old DVD player it was 10W in sleep). One device is not much but 10 give You some power.

I'm going by what I read. Some of the newest TVs are probably attempting to be more efficient. It's amazing how poor many engineers can be at energy management. I worked for years in embedded design (my degree is in Electronic Engineering) and one major consideration in most applications is controlling how much energy you use. I find iOS interfaces very annoying, but Apple is outstanding at battery management. They get a lot more mileage out of their batteries than the competition.

Refrigerators can be very expensive. Heating and cooling can be expensive too. We switched to using a high efficiency gas fireplace for most of our heating about 10 years ago. I saw our gas usage in the winter drop by 25% and the electricity usage drop by about 20%.

quote:

quote:

You should try LED light. At least for me it is working well. It take me some time before i find quality of light i want to have but savings are huge. I spend some money to upgrade all my light sources but is see difference now in electric bills. Short story - total power consumption of my light sources was ~800W now when i have everything on it is ~120W.

With new TV, new LED light, good A+ class or better refrigerator, decent PC power supply and i manage to reduce bills by at lest 1/4. It is lot of money. Maney i spend shold return to me in about 3 Years.
Europe energy prices are huge. I am paying 0,20$ per KWH (for energy only) plus i need to pay some maney for have acces for energy so at the end i paying ~0,25$ per KWH. And everyone are telling that prices will go up in next years
)

Electricity rates probably won't be going up here much in the coming years. There are laws locking in the prices for hydro power in the Northwest. Those costs aren't going up, so the Northwest will probably continue to see some of the lowest electricity rates in the world. Some other areas of the world are seeing electricity rates skyrocket. I believe Germany has seen prices go up dramatically in recent years.

I will go blind with LED lighting. White LED lights are blue LEDs with a coating that makes them white. They still produce a spike in the blue spectrum that most people don't notice. I have a mutation that gives me excellent night vision, but I'm more sensitive to blue light than most people. The blue peak in white LEDs is right at the frequency of moonlight and it turns on the night vision receptors in my eyes. Some LED lights are better than others, but I get massive eye strain after between 1/2 and 2 hours. It feels like someone is trying to pull my eyes out.

I tried using an LED task light for a while and had massive headaches the whole time and my near vision started going. Ever since then I not been able to focus up close without glasses or a magnifier. It's very annoying, I never had any trouble focusing close before that. I was probably going to need reading glasses at some point, but it was coincident with trying an LED light.

When I tried an LED back light monitor, I had to quit using it after an hour. It took more than a day for the headache and eye hurt to go away.

The new Apple displays are a bit better, than others, but I get eye strain using those too.

Philosophically I like the idea of LED lighting, but it's not for me.

Bill

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> New Laptop Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI