Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Wargame development?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Wargame development? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wargame development? - 11/8/2014 1:36:57 AM   
wodin

Some questions.

What language is best, what engine is recommended and finally where do you start from?

Two game ideas, one is 2D and has the building elements of Prison Architect \Dwarf Fortress plus a management aspect using different windows and charts including possible pie charts for statistics, game would have a fair bit of text.

Next is a simultaneous turns 3D game of tactical plane combat with squadron management aspects and rpg elements.

Post #: 1
RE: Wargame development? - 11/8/2014 7:26:46 AM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Some questions.

What language is best, what engine is recommended and finally where do you start from?

Two game ideas, one is 2D and has the building elements of Prison Architect \Dwarf Fortress plus a management aspect using different windows and charts including possible pie charts for statistics, game would have a fair bit of text.

Next is a simultaneous turns 3D game of tactical plane combat with squadron management aspects and rpg elements.

If you are talking about computer programming language, then C++/xml is your best bet. To me it seem easiest language around and having debug to check your works.

Hope that helps.

Good luck

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2
RE: Wargame development? - 11/8/2014 7:28:10 AM   
zakblood

he might mean engine's ie which one is the best etc, like BA2 or unity etc etc, i may be wrong, i normally am

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 3
RE: Wargame development? - 11/8/2014 7:32:47 PM   
chemkid

< Message edited by chemkid -- 4/24/2018 12:20:31 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 4
RE: Wargame development? - 11/11/2014 5:02:45 AM   
histgamer

quote:

That's an interesting question, I believe Combat Mission runs on their own proprietary engine, Scourge of War runs in it's own, Hist War I presume runs its own and the Total War games all run their own proprietary engine, Ultimate General uses Unity, so there seems to be a lot of variety on that front, I don't get the sense there is much engine uniformity across those types of games unlike FPS's which have dozens and dozens of games using similar or identical engines.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 5
RE: Wargame development? - 11/11/2014 9:41:42 AM   
Neilster

quote:

Some questions.

If you are talking about programming a game...err...unless you have years of relevant experience as a programmer...good luck. Even reasonably simple games are major programming efforts done by people with significant expertise. Anything that looks half decent is done by a team of people who really know what they're doing.

Take just 3D graphics for example. Do you know linear algebra and matrix manipulation? That's how a lot of 3D graphics is done. Then you have to write a graphics engine that incorporates all that mathematics, a lighting model and a bunch of other things. Even if you use someone else's, you still have to know how it works.

It sounds like you haven't done much programming. If that is the case, then it's not impossible for you to produce a game but I hope you're not doing anything for about 10 years because that's about how much full-time work you're going to have to put in to get up to speed. Even then, almost no-one can produce a good game by themselves.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 6
RE: Wargame development? - 11/11/2014 10:27:21 AM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

If you are talking about programming a game...err...unless you have years of relevant experience as a programmer...good luck... I hope you're not doing anything for about 10 years because that's about how much full-time work you're going to have to put in to get up to speed.

+1

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 7
RE: Wargame development? - 11/11/2014 5:14:55 PM   
Rising-Sun

Yeah it does require a lot of timing and testing, even for one person is almost impossible to do. If you are working while making a living will be a nightmare come to this. When I picked up to learn Borland C++ and it does take time and patient.

So developing a game or software, need a lot of knowledge on audio, graphics, user interface, etcs. So much to do. The best ways to do it is the write out details on what you want to have and focus on. Like a movie script on cartoons that played out later on into the real motion pictures.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 8
RE: Wargame development? - 11/12/2014 6:33:00 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

Some questions.

If you are talking about programming a game...err...unless you have years of relevant experience as a programmer...good luck. Even reasonably simple games are major programming efforts done by people with significant expertise. Anything that looks half decent is done by a team of people who really know what they're doing.

Take just 3D graphics for example. Do you know linear algebra and matrix manipulation? That's how a lot of 3D graphics is done. Then you have to write a graphics engine that incorporates all that mathematics, a lighting model and a bunch of other things. Even if you use someone else's, you still have to know how it works.

It sounds like you haven't done much programming. If that is the case, then it's not impossible for you to produce a game but I hope you're not doing anything for about 10 years because that's about how much full-time work you're going to have to put in to get up to speed. Even then, almost no-one can produce a good game by themselves.

Cheers, Neilster

lol - have you ever thought about being a motivational speaker?

Seriously though guys - Wodin has shown an interest in this for a couple of years now and I fully expect he's looking at it through a set of "hobby" eyes...at least initially.

You probably would be better off staying away from 3D...it's an additional, very time consuming level of complexity.

You've always shown an interest in producing a wargame. So produce one...a 2D hex one. Do it as a hobby and take yer time. Plan it out. Write your rules down and keep them simple at first. You'll be best to not get bogged down in a big game initially...so keep your first few attempts simple and small, trying things out.

In terms of language, there's a plethora of languages you can use. C# and C++ for speed. Not sure about XML (never used it). Visual Basic even is fine. All MS tools (I believe) are free for non enterprise programming (learning)

Get yourself a good book on whatever language you choose. It'll at least teach you the basics and give you a fighting chance.

They are correct - it's not going to be easy. I've been a programmer for 20 years almost (predominantly windows based database front ends) and I've looked into programming a game and decided whatever I wanted was already done and better than I could.

But if you do get one up and running, the level of self achievement you feel will be super high.

You're on Grogheads - have a PM conversation with gameleaper over there. He's been touting a few wee games he's been doing himself...so he's more than likely got ideas on where you want to start

Good luck...and keep it simple. If you get bogged down, you'll feel beaten. You need to get a few quick hits from accomplishment from little projects.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 9
RE: Wargame development? - 11/12/2014 2:09:04 PM   
Chickenboy

Warspite1

quote:

Some questions.

What language is best,

Well, I'm biased, but I prefer English. The Queen's own. Jolly, jolly good. Other derivative versions of English are for savages. Or colonials. Same thing, really.

quote:

what engine is recommended and finally where do you start from?

Kind of depends what you want to do. Move earth? A heavy diesel is your bag. Commuter bus? NatGas has been very effective in fleet transport. Commuter car? Hybrid or electric seems to be gaining ground.

Why not start from where you left off?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 10
RE: Wargame development? - 11/12/2014 5:49:27 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Warspite1

quote:

Some questions.

What language is best,

Well, I'm biased, but I prefer English. The Queen's own. Jolly, jolly good. Other derivative versions of English are for savages. Or colonials. Same thing, really.

quote:

what engine is recommended and finally where do you start from?

Kind of depends what you want to do. Move earth? A heavy diesel is your bag. Commuter bus? NatGas has been very effective in fleet transport. Commuter car? Hybrid or electric seems to be gaining ground.

Why not start from where you left off?

Chickenboy (and not warspite1)

Er..wat's a conputer?... and wat do simultanus mean?

Thanks for help wiv the speling mom.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 11
RE: Wargame development? - 11/14/2014 1:08:02 AM   
Kayoz

I'd go with Unity. You really don't want to write your own flipping engine just to accomplish basic tasks.

But that said, doing pie charts in Unity can be a pain. It wasn't built with that in mind, and you'll have to bang out a fair bit of C# to get anything vaguely presentable. Or that's how it was last I checked.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 12
RE: Wargame development? - 11/14/2014 4:51:53 AM   
wodin

Thanks JD:). Thanks everyone.

The game would be graphic light to be honest.

Should have started this back in the eighties when you could program a decent game from your bedroom.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Wargame development? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote