Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RAW 8

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RAW 8 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RAW 8 - 10/30/2014 3:30:52 AM   
dhucul2011

I hear a lot about the RAW 8 in the works.

What are some of the new rules and changes that will be included?

Post #: 1
RE: RAW 8 - 10/30/2014 8:32:34 AM   
Dabrion

RAW8 is not released yet. Those with access to the playtest material read a "commercial in confidence" banner on the top.

There was an announcement on wifdiscussion by Dave LeLacheur, that the Collectors Edition will be released by June 2015. I believe that RAW8 will be ready by then.

General things that happen with the rewrites are: incorporation of the extension kits that have been released since the last RAW (if they are popular). This will be FiF and KiF for RAW8. Steamlining of optional rules (remove those not played, standardize those played a lot). Also, if you read wifdiscussion over the last couple of years you will have a pretty good idea about what oddities of RAW7 will be addresses in RAW8. Given how easy the Allied side has it with RAW7, I think there will also be a balance swing in favour of the Axis, not a dramatic one though.

“WiF is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.”
- Richard P. Feynman, 'WiF, Sex, and the Dual Slit Experiment'.

(in reply to dhucul2011)
Post #: 2
RE: RAW 8 - 10/30/2014 5:10:41 PM   
AlbertN

Ack now I am curious too.
And I somehow suspect that MWIF will remain with RAW7 or?

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 3
RE: RAW 8 - 10/30/2014 5:48:30 PM   
Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cohen

Ack now I am curious too.
And I somehow suspect that MWIF will remain with RAW7 or?

Yes.

Peter

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 4
RE: RAW 8 - 10/30/2014 6:14:34 PM   
brian brian

The new rules will also re-organize them some, so there is less flipping between Rule 9 DoW and Rule 18 Minor Countries, for example.

This makes them a little challenging to absorb, as there aren't just simple indicators of what changes, like the red text used to highlight actual changes that has been used in the past.

I don't keep up with the process, but it should come out sometime soon I think.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 5
RE: RAW 8 - 10/30/2014 6:35:55 PM   
paulderynck

A big change will be the oil rules for those that use them. RAW8 will closely follow what was already released in KiF.

And yes, MWiF will remain RAW7 for a long time.

Paul

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 6
RE: RAW 8 - 10/30/2014 8:59:00 PM   
AlbertN

Hmm by the little I've read though the KIF oil rules appear to favor the Allies even more as they're "on use" for things, which means the Axis will have to spend oil to move panzers and such in the early war too even if they do not get disrupted.

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 7
RE: RAW 8 - 10/31/2014 3:59:05 PM   
Dabrion

KiF oil works like this: you pay an amount of oil for your action when you start your impulse. The cost depends on major power, action type and year, and can be read from a table. So you do not pay "on use" in the sense you seem to imply.

There is also an option, where you pay 1/10 of oil per oil dependent unit (first free), bounded by the cost from the table. This lets you get a "cheap" impulse if you want certain action limits but dont use your oil dependent units. Since you usually have one or two big impulses and then some ~2/10 impulses until the turn ends, this dramatically cuts down overall oil cost. In any case, oil cost doesn't depend on performance anymore, and you don't have to spend 30m of book-keeping in 44+ at eot.

Allies have enough oil but need to transport it home (UK). US can dump 5 oil per turn to Canada after USE 15. This takes care of at least 1naval+1combined, meaning US and CW effectively never have oil problems. Oil in the UK is only relevant to mitigate bad turns on the supply lines.
Axis initially has barely enough oil to keep the beast running, and that is historically correct. Esp. for Japan, but Germany also basically consumed all of its (inlc. Romania's) strategic reserves at the point they declared war on the USSR.

“WiF is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.”
- Richard P. Feynman, 'WiF, Sex, and the Dual Slit Experiment'.

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 8
RE: RAW 8 - 10/31/2014 6:15:49 PM   
AlbertN

Other question - as they appear somehow simple to code - how come in MWIF there aren't the optional divisions that are in KIF?

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 9
RE: RAW 8 - 10/31/2014 6:24:33 PM   
paulderynck

My copy of KiF is copyrighted 2013. It came out long after the scope for MWiF was defined.

It may be possible to add those units as a Mod though.

Paul

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 10
RE: RAW 8 - 10/31/2014 8:35:48 PM   
AlbertN

One can simply "add" new units or must replace other units?
Besides I am unsure Armoured Engineer type unit or the Marine-Para Japanese division would be coded to function.

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 11
RE: RAW 8 - 10/31/2014 11:17:55 PM   
paulderynck

I don't know. I believe you can add units. I agree the "new" specialty types might end up only partly working.

Check the Mods threads and also the last few chapters of Players Manual 2, which explain the csv data files for the units.

Paul

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RAW 8 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI