Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Basic questions about game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Basic questions about game Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Basic questions about game - 10/11/2014 4:51:49 AM   
76mm

Hi, I'm not familiar with this game system but stumbled upon this forum, and it looks kind of interesting. Could someone answer a few questions?

1) In scale, etc., this look pretty similar to the new Panzer Battles series, although I understand that this engine is much older. What are the significant differences between the two series?

2) What is the largest map (in hexes) that can be created in the map editor?

3) I see that it is possible to play in unencrypted mode, but only in non-multiplayer mode. Is this only possible against the AI, or also in hot-seat mode (ie, playing hot-seat against myself).

4) Is it possible to revise save-game files only in unencrypted mode, or also in encrypted mode (I would mainly be looking to use this game as a op-layer for a tactical game).
Post #: 1
RE: Basic questions about game - 10/11/2014 5:01:28 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

Hi, I'm not familiar with this game system but stumbled upon this forum, and it looks kind of interesting. Could someone answer a few questions?

1) In scale, etc., this look pretty similar to the new Panzer Battles series, although I understand that this engine is much older. What are the significant differences between the two series?

This was JT's first crack at the scale, although the Campaign Series has been much improved since the initial 1997 release from Talonsoft.

The biggest difference is that you get all fronts with hundreds of scenarios already included in the game where Panzer Battles seems to focus only on Kursk.

Map scale is the same.

Time scale is a bit different.

Units are platoons.

quote:

2) What is the largest map (in hexes) that can be created in the map editor?

At the moment, with the latest UPDATE, I don't believe there is a limit - if there is, it is the limitations of the users graphics card.

quote:

3) I see that it is possible to play in unencrypted mode, but only in non-multiplayer mode. Is this only possible against the AI, or also in hot-seat mode (ie, playing hot-seat against myself).

It is only available against the AI.

Mind you, if you send me the files you need encrypted, I can encrypt them for you. Both players will need to use them though!

quote:

4) Is it possible to revise save-game files only in unencrypted mode, or also in encrypted mode (I would mainly be looking to use this game as a op-layer for a tactical game).

At the moment, the save game files are free for all, meaning, they are unencrypted, so you can edit them at your leisure. This will be looked into in a future UPDATE.

Jason Petho

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 2
RE: Basic questions about game - 10/11/2014 5:20:41 AM   
76mm

Thanks for the quick response. Panzer Battle's focus on Kursk is a turn-off for me, so I might pick this one up.

Also, it looks like there is extensive effort being put into updating this old game, which is heartening--out of curiousity, is that simply because of a fanatical developer bent on updating the game (), or for some reason is this game's code easier to update than some others (eg, Steel Panthers, etc.)?

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 3
RE: Basic questions about game - 10/11/2014 11:16:15 AM   
Crossroads

quote:

Thanks for the quick response. Panzer Battle's focus on Kursk is a turn-off for me, so I might pick this one up.

Also, it looks like there is extensive effort being put into updating this old game, which is heartening--out of curiousity, is that simply because of a fanatical developer bent on updating the game (), or for some reason is this game's code easier to update than some others (eg, Steel Panthers, etc.)?

Hello 76mm, to answer your questions in two parts, well first: there's a dedicated team effort in place in releasing new game titles to series under Project Modern Wars, first one being the title covering Middle East Conflicts from 1948 onwards. To do that, a significant effort was needed to put together a combined code base, that would include the three Campaign Series games, and all the new titles coming out.

In addition to that, there was some serious catching up to do, new operating systems, larger monitors, you name them. All this is covered well under the various Diaries out here, there's an index of them available HERE. So rather than wait until first new game title is out, the catching-up part was released as a FREE UPDATE on Campaign Series. You are welcome

Then, whether there's one or more fanatical developers behind the effort, I'll leave that to you all to decide. Some of us are quite mad I confess to that, but not sure about fanatical

Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 AVAILABLE SOON
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 Fully reimaged v2.0 available now!

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 4
RE: Basic questions about game - 10/11/2014 12:09:50 PM   
Warhorse

Alright, I'll be first to admit, someone has to, I AM one of the fanatics!!! Had this game for 15 years I guess, and can't get enough, a real joy, and modding it is a blast, the reason I got into developing it as well, hope you decide to grab it, enjoy!!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 5
RE: Basic questions about game - 10/11/2014 12:24:36 PM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

quote:

Then, whether there's one or more fanatical developers behind the effort, I'll leave that to you all to decide. Some of us are quite mad I confess to that, but not sure about fanatical

Easier to update? Couldn't say vis-a-vis SP etc. Easy to update? Hardly! Fortunately I have considerable Unix/Linux tools, talent, and experience to draw upon for analyzing and rewriting the code. In my Campaign Series development effort, I spend as much time if not more so in Linux, else Cygwin, as I do in Windows. I actually prefer using Emacs (supplemented by vi, grep, awk, sed, Perl, etc.) to using the Microsoft Visual Studio IDE. (I use the latter for compiling and debugging, though.) I could not have done any of this without Linux!

Madly fanatical? Sure! Fanatically mad? Some would say so.

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder http://johntillersoftware.com

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 6
RE: Basic questions about game - 10/11/2014 12:42:55 PM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: berto

I could not have done any of this without Linux!

This bears repeating, and emphasizing:

We could not have done any of this without working as a team.

For the life of me, I couldn't develop OOBs, maps, graphics, and scenarios. But we have Dev Team members who specialize in each.

The Campaign Series is much more than code, way more.

Did Jason say "hundreds of scenarios"? Using Cygwin, we can determine exactly how many:

Robert@roberto ~
$ cd /cygdrive/f/Games/Matrix\ Games

Robert@roberto /cygdrive/f/Games/Matrix Games
$ ls
John Tiller's Campaign Series 1.00 SUPPORT
John Tiller's Campaign Series 1.04 SUPPORT
John Tiller's Campaign Series 2.00 SUPPORT
John Tiller's Campaign Series 2.01 SUPPORT
John Tiller's Campaign Series 2.02 SUPPORT
John Tiller's Campaign Series 2.10 DEVELOPMENT
John Tiller's Campaign Series 2.10 DEVELOPMENT BACKUP
Korean War
Middle East
Middle East PRE 20140919 BACKUP
Vietnam

Robert@roberto /cygdrive/f/Games/Matrix Games
$ find "John Tiller's Campaign Series 2.02 SUPPORT" -name \*.scl -o -name \*.scn | wc -l

In JTCS alone, 1241 scenarios! (All kinds, including those in LCGs, Linked Campaign Games.)

Code without data is useless. Arguably the more important half of CS is the vast amounts of OOB, map, scenario and other data accrued over the past 17 years. Considering also the full range of editors and development tools, can any other game compare?

(Berto runs and ducks for cover... )

Campaign Series Lead Coder http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder http://johntillersoftware.com

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 7
RE: Basic questions about game - 10/11/2014 1:28:25 PM   
Big Ivan

Fanatics you bet!

Cheers to all the fanatics and development team members who made CS what it is today, hats off!

Ever since 1998 I've loved this game called Campaign Series. Open it ever day and play at least a turn or two against the A/I or someone!

Its in my blood.

Big Ivan

Blitz call sign Big Ivan.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 8
RE: Basic questions about game - 10/11/2014 3:18:52 PM   
Crossroads

It is official now. We're all mad here.

---

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 9
RE: Basic questions about game - 10/11/2014 3:23:12 PM   
Crossroads

And wouldn't have it any other way, mind you!

---

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 10
RE: Basic questions about game - 10/11/2014 3:51:16 PM   
Jason Petho

Yes, this certainly wouldn't be happening without the dedication from the development team.

It's a pleasure knowing we are all mad.

Mad with determination to keep the series alive by expanding and improving!

Jason Petho

< Message edited by Jason Petho -- 10/11/2014 4:52:34 PM >

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 11
RE: Basic questions about game - 10/12/2014 1:33:00 PM   
MrRoadrunner

Mad?
Madness?

This is Sparta! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qR0Uke2XNI

RR

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Post #: 12
RE: Basic questions about game - 10/12/2014 4:39:17 PM   
76mm

Well, I certainly appreciate the dedication of the dev team and the fans. Frankly, the last thing I need right now is another game I don't have time to play, but I'm going to take another look at this one as soon as I have a moment, and will probably pick it up.

Is the manual available for download anywhere? I generally prefer to peruse the rules before I buy a game these days...

(in reply to MrRoadrunner)
Post #: 13
RE: Basic questions about game - 10/12/2014 4:45:24 PM   
Jason Petho

You can find the manual, up to the 2.01 UPDATE, here:

MANUAL

Jason Petho

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 14
RE: Basic questions about game - 10/12/2014 5:00:46 PM   
76mm

Awesome, thanks much, I will take a look.

Post #: 15
RE: Basic questions about game - 10/12/2014 5:02:33 PM   
Jason Petho

You're welcome!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jason Petho

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 16
RE: Basic questions about game - 10/14/2014 6:28:19 PM   
76mm

I went ahead and bought the game but am off to a rough start; out of the box the game changed my Win7 theme (first time that's happened!) and the updater can't download the latest patch...trying to download the patch from the website now...I'm sure more questions will follow.

< Message edited by 76mm -- 10/14/2014 7:28:58 PM >

Post #: 17
RE: Basic questions about game - 10/14/2014 6:34:06 PM   
Jason Petho

That is corrected in the 2.02 UPDATE.

Unzip the file before trying to run it and make sure it is installing in the correct location.

Jason Petho

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 18
RE: Basic questions about game - 10/14/2014 7:10:26 PM   
76mm

The file would not download via the updater--or I should say that it would seem to download but then announce an error at the very end and not install--but downloading from the website and installing from there worked fine.

First up will be looking at what graphics mods are available, will look at the forum, might have questions about that.

I read the manual, seems to "feel" pretty similar to Panzer Campaigns, which I know pretty well, so hopefully I'll understand things pretty quickly.

Post #: 19
RE: Basic questions about game - 10/14/2014 7:15:59 PM   
James Ward

It's a lot like PzC in some ways but it also has some big differences. A lot of the menus and buttons will look familiar.

It's old but a good series though. You can't beat the number of scenarios plus the different campaigns AND you get three complete games so you can pretty much explore any sort of battle from WWII that you want.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 20
RE: Basic questions about game - 10/14/2014 8:17:57 PM   
Warhorse

There is also a Korean War Mod I made, although we are going to do a real game of that after Modern Wars:Middle East, but still, it is fun. Also a sci-fi Mod based off of Harry Turtledoves books about aliens invading during WW2.

Did you used to be into SPWAW a long time ago, I think I remember you, but don't remember your real name?

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 21
RE: Basic questions about game - 10/14/2014 8:41:46 PM   
berto

quote:

... out of the box the game changed my Win7 theme (first time that's happened!) ...

Your Windows color theme should be restored on game exit.

To prevent this color change in future, check the menu item Options > System Colors, which tells the game to use your Win7 theme default (system) colors.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 22
RE: Basic questions about game - 10/15/2014 4:32:19 AM   
76mm

Warhorse, I don't recall being active in SPWAW, but maybe a long time ago...I did recently pick up SPWWII, but haven't had time to play it much. I use the same "call sign" on all the gaming sites, so you've probably seen me around somewhere...

A couple of questions:

1) Warhorse, in a thread from August, you mention that some major revisions are coming for EF--is that 2.02, or is there something else coming??

2) Any chance of a more zoomed-in 2D view (ala PzC)? I always prefer 2D and the current resolution is a bit tough for me to see...

3) Any good 2D terrain mods, such as madmod for PzC? I saw a thread about it on this forum, but it doesn't sound like it was ever done.

4) Mid-East wars would be a good fit for this game; I've seen some of your dev posts, but is there any comprehensive description about what further changes are coming?

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 23
RE: Basic questions about game - 10/15/2014 5:26:41 AM   
berto

quote:

2) Any chance of a more zoomed-in 2D view (ala PzC)? I always prefer 2D and the current resolution is a bit tough for me to see...

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 24
RE: Basic questions about game - 10/15/2014 8:35:25 PM   
Warhorse

Hey guy,

It would have been a long time ago, for sure, I haven't been very active in WAW for some time now, even though that was my "first love".

Not sure what post you refer to, but the 2dicon project was a biggee, I think it is unofficially included in the Forgotten Battles mod from Petri and myself, mostly Petri! That was where I went through all the oob's for EF/WF, and assigned correct NATO and graphical 2d images for all countrys, they were a mess before, I added over 300 more military symbols than were there out of the box. There is much more in the works, I will see if our programmer can elaborate for you all, they do developer diaries from time to time to let you all know what is going on! Myself, I mostly do graphics for Matrix/Slitherine, but also do mods, and oob research etc., I love DCG's. PBEM is a great thing I just got into a few years ago, solo play is cool too, but PBEM is where it's at.

Not sure of any 2d terrain mods, I would do some, but am very busy helping to develope the new Middle East, Vietnam, and Korean War games we have in the works!!

Hope this helps some?

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 25
RE: Basic questions about game - 10/16/2014 2:21:41 AM   
1925frank

Regarding the Forgotten Battles mod, when I tried to activate it, there was a warning about some files being changed permanently, so I backed off taking a peak. My ability to monkey with computers is limited. What exactly gets changed permanently?

I too would prefer a larger 2d. The above posts make me think it might be worth it to risk permanently changing some of the files.

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 26
RE: Basic questions about game - 10/16/2014 2:30:23 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

A couple of questions:

1) Warhorse, in a thread from August, you mention that some major revisions are coming for EF--is that 2.02, or is there something else coming??

The next UPDATE is due out in 2016, referred to as the 2.10 UPDATE. It will be a significant UPDATE with new features, new data and new scenarios/campaigns.
quote:

That's the plan, yes. Hopefully for the 2.10 UPDATE.
quote:

3) Any good 2D terrain mods, such as madmod for PzC? I saw a thread about it on this forum, but it doesn't sound like it was ever done.

Not that I am aware of for terrain.
quote:

4) Mid-East wars would be a good fit for this game; I've seen some of your dev posts, but is there any comprehensive description about what further changes are coming?

In the works and due out in Q1 2015. We've been working really hard on this. Pretty well everything has been rebuilt from the ground up. New scenarios (~55 so far), new countries, new campaigns, many new features.

It's going to be quite the game when released!

Jason Petho

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 27
RE: Basic questions about game - 10/16/2014 2:39:49 AM   
76mm

Thanks for the responses, sounds great.

So the 2.1 update will apply to both the current game (including EF) and MidEast, or will those features already be baked into MidEast? Also, is there a description anywhere of what will be included in 2.1--is that what is being described in the developer diaries, or is that only about MidEast?

Post #: 28
RE: Basic questions about game - 10/16/2014 3:42:28 AM   
Jason Petho

For the most part, most things that are going to be released with Middle East, will be included in the Campaign Series.

Maybe not all, but certainly a good portion.

It is good to watch the developer diaries to see what our master programmer is up to. Absolutely brilliant!

Jason Petho

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 29
RE: Basic questions about game - 10/16/2014 5:47:15 PM   
76mm

OK, a few more questions (can't say I didn't warn you...):

1) what is the time scale? I see that hexes are 250m, and units have specific movement rates, so there must be some time scale, but I don't see it anywhere?

2) Is it possible to edit units to reduce their movement and range by 50% (thereby effectively making the hexes 500m)?

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Basic questions about game Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI