Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rousing game of "Tigers in the Snow" yesterday

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Rousing game of "Tigers in the Snow" yesterday Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rousing game of "Tigers in the Snow" yesterday - 9/29/2014 10:16:53 AM   
aaatoysandmore

Going back in time to the 1980's is fun. Through use of commodore 64 emulator I was able to bring back those times with "Tigers in the Snow". Love the way it it simple and easy to play. Divisional units and not a whole lot of units on each side. I played the Germans of course to see if I could cross the Meuse River in time. I got 4 units past the Meuse but not out the exit zone because of allied units near their zoc. I didn't take Bastone but, moved very quickly to get those 4 units past the Meuse. I got an "Operational" Allied victory because I didn't get those units exited off the map but it was great fun trying to do it. Easily playable in a days play while watching football and baseball too.

Next up will be "Knights of the Desert" the boardgame conversion to PC of Africa Korp by Avalon Hill.

I must say playing Tigers in the Snow did make me want to drag out my old Avalon Hill game of Battle of the Bulge. Ahhh the days of simple easy games to play. Not "tedious" (MrsWargamer hehe)

It did take a little fidigiting with the controls to get it to work but after a few trial an error methods I found the perfect interface that the game needed. Most of the game runs with one using the keyboard keys of spacebar and the F (finished or next unit) key or the E (exit combat selection phase) key and of course answering the questions of attack and who attacks with a Y or N and 1 thru 6 for movement.

"Operational Allied Victory" <~~~~~ old games with good AI computer play.

I also looked at "Crusade in Europe" and started playing that but didn't have enough time to really breakout in France. So canned it for awhile. Works fine with that emulator though.

Can't believe all these C64 games I found on this one site. Auto Duel, just about all the Avalon Hill, SSI and SSG computer games for the Commodore 64 that I have. Games like Computer Ambush, Kampfgruppe, Battlegroup, Typhoon of Steel, Panzer Strike, Germany 85, RDF 1985, Reach for the Stars, Emperium Gallactia, Battles of Napoleon, Gettysburg, Shilo, Antietam, Sons of Liberty and many more. It's like being a kid again in a candy store where everything is free. Only game I tried that I couldn't get to work was "War of the Lance" very colorful game and good ai as I remember in that one but for some reason it just never would goto the application screen to load. They've even got "Under Fire" by Avalon Hill. That is another great old game I had almost forgotten. Games like Castles and Castles 2 I believe are there. It's such a candy jar of games from the 80's Even the very old game of "Carrier Force" is there.

It also made me realize how much money I had spent on computer games in my youth for that commodore 64. lol It's easy to get carried away buying them as you can see. You think $30-$50 a pop isn't very much but, when you add them up over time it turns out to be a lot. Wow! I'm just glad I can get them to work on this Vista 64 bit PC.
Post #: 1
RE: Rousing game of "Tigers in the Snow" yest... - 9/29/2014 12:10:16 PM   
MrsWargamer

My first computer wargame was Cris Crawford's Patton Strikes Back. I think you would have liked it.

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 2
RE: Rousing game of "Tigers in the Snow" yest... - 9/29/2014 12:14:05 PM   
Gilmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

My first computer wargame was Cris Crawford's Patton Strikes Back. I think you would have liked it.

I'm pretty sure I had that game. Sadly, I did not enjoy it.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 3
RE: Rousing game of "Tigers in the Snow" yest... - 9/29/2014 1:41:57 PM   
Blond_Knight

I played "Tigers on the prowl" and "Panthers in the shadows" in Dosbox as late as 2008. Great games.

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 4
RE: Rousing game of "Tigers in the Snow" yest... - 9/29/2014 7:14:55 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Next up will be "Knights of the Desert" the boardgame conversion to PC of Africa Korp by Avalon Hill.

Got my interest here, any good ?

FWIW I am playing AH's Advanced Civ on the PC via DOSBox, works great and the update patch is still available via Hasbro.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

Post #: 5
RE: Rousing game of "Tigers in the Snow" yest... - 9/29/2014 7:28:16 PM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

quote:

Got my interest here, any good ?

FWIW I am playing AH's Advanced Civ on the PC via DOSBox, works great and the update patch is still available via Hasbro.

It's just like the boardgame really. So if you liked the boardgame you'll like this conversion.

You'll need this site :

gamebase64.com

and this emulator:

http://www.ccs64.com/

I don't put direct links to software sites as they frown on it here and it's up to you whether you use it or not. They have tons of commodore 64 games though. It's a candyjar of retro playing.

< Message edited by aaatoysandmore -- 9/29/2014 8:34:00 PM >

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 6
RE: Rousing game of "Tigers in the Snow" yest... - 9/29/2014 7:40:28 PM   
Jeffrey H.

Every try Six Gun Shootout ? I had some fun with that one.

Ron Swanson

Post #: 7
RE: Rousing game of "Tigers in the Snow" yest... - 9/29/2014 8:18:32 PM   
aaatoysandmore

Knights of the Desert
Tactical Design Group
Intermediate

AP, AT, C, I, T

Spring 1983 (AP, AT, T), $39.95

"In March 1941, Hitler sent Rommel to North Africa. His task: to push his Panzer divisions all the way to Alexandria, crushing British troops along the way and taking the Suez Canal and the precious oilfields that lay beyond.

"KNIGHTS OF THE DESERT is the faithful re-creation of this famous North African campaign of World War II. Containing divison/regiment-sized units of infantry, motorized infantry and tanks, KNIGHTS OF THE DESERT introduces an innovative system of play. During the logistics phase, the players must first assign supply and re-supply priority for each unit--before moving it. The operations phase allows multiple movements per turn by one player while permitting the opponent to make reaction and limited reaction moves.

"Both players' goals are the same: a sweeping movement of troops across the northern coast of Africa, pushing the enemy as far back as possible and capturing key towns such as Benghazi and Tobruk. The only difference is direction.

"As the German commander, your ultimate target is eastward to Alexandria. Your campaign is hindered by shortages of supplies while the British have essentially unlimited supplies. However, you do have offsetting tactical advantages. Your Panzer units can move faster than the British and your crack German troops have higher morale ratings.

"As the British commander, you struggle westward to sweep Rommel all the way back to El Aghelia and win the game.

"This 12-turn game also provides for solitaire play in which the computer ably directs the British forces." -Spring 1983

"Joust with armored tanks during the North African Campaign of 1941-42." -Spring 1985

Awards: "1983 Winner of Origins 'BEST COMPUTER GAME' Award." -Spring 1985

quote:

Every try Six Gun Shootout ? I had some fun with that one.

Yes I did. I practically have the complete SSI catalog of games for the commodore 64. I was young and foolish and bought everything that moved back then. lol

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 8
RE: Rousing game of "Tigers in the Snow" yest... - 9/29/2014 9:28:25 PM   
jcjordan

For boardgames - One of the SPI Civil War games or AH The Longest Day. Never could complete either due to cats getting on table & messing up pieces

Post #: 9
RE: Rousing game of "Tigers in the Snow" yest... - 9/29/2014 10:16:02 PM   
aaatoysandmore

There's a game I think Impressions made called "D-Day The Beginning of the End" that is just like The Longest Day in a way. Has tons of battles and pieces. You start on a strategic map and then play out every land battle during D-Day tactically afterwards. Really bit and long game. I miss AH's D-Day game like in the old days. You got to choose your landing site didn't always have to be Normandy in that game.

Here's a YouTube video of it: http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+beginning+of+the+end+pc+game&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=F9EF5FADC6101E1B8EADF9EF5FADC6101E1B8EAD

< Message edited by aaatoysandmore -- 9/29/2014 11:19:32 PM >

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 10
RE: Rousing game of "Tigers in the Snow" yest... - 9/29/2014 11:44:04 PM   
aaatoysandmore

Well I just found out Knights in the Desert is going to be a little harder to figure out. I can't figure out the keyboard movement from piece to piece and it just grunts at me. Normandy Invasion only works for 2 real players as it messes up if I try to play against the computer some kind of syntax error pops up. It'll take a little time but I think I can figure it out. Hope so I really want to play Africa Korps.

Post #: 11
RE: Rousing game of "Tigers in the Snow" yest... - 9/30/2014 2:09:26 AM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

Well I just found out Knights in the Desert is going to be a little harder to figure out. I can't figure out the keyboard movement from piece to piece and it just grunts at me. Normandy Invasion only works for 2 real players as it messes up if I try to play against the computer some kind of syntax error pops up. It'll take a little time but I think I can figure it out. Hope so I really want to play Africa Korps.

I found the dos version on an abandonware site here

So with this and DOSBox you should be ready to go.

Ron Swanson

Post #: 12
RE: Rousing game of "Tigers in the Snow" yest... - 9/30/2014 2:28:57 AM   
Challerain

quote:

Knights of the Desert
Tactical Design Group
Intermediate

Had a lot of fun back in the day with this one

Post #: 13
RE: Rousing game of "Tigers in the Snow" yest... - 9/30/2014 3:03:11 AM   
Rosseau

Yes, I remember paying $80 for Carrier Force. It wasn't worth it

(in reply to Challerain)
Post #: 14
RE: Rousing game of "Tigers in the Snow" yest... - 9/30/2014 8:41:38 AM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: rosseau

Yes, I remember paying $80 for Carrier Force. It wasn't worth it

Dang where did you buy it? I got mine for under $40 at Chips & Bits back then. It was pretty good I thought. Not much for graphics for sure, but, the seearch and destroy method they used was fun. Reminded me of the Avalon Hill Midway boardgame. I liked how you had to face the carries in the wind to launch planes. I cursed everytime one of my groups couldn't find their targets. It was almost like the real thing. You know "realistic" lol.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Rousing game of "Tigers in the Snow" yesterday Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI