Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Matrix Game Demography

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Matrix Game Demography Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Matrix Game Demography - 9/25/2014 4:45:56 PM   
MickM2

Apparently 52% of all gamers are now female. What is the demography for Matrix gamers? After reading the Australian beauties' posts I assume 100% male?
Post #: 1
RE: Matrix Game Demography - 9/25/2014 4:48:03 PM   
zakblood

then you would be wrong

(in reply to MickM2)
Post #: 2
RE: Matrix Game Demography - 9/25/2014 5:14:45 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

That might be true if you consider candy crush and bubble pop in the figures. Not exactly what I would consider traditional gamers although those are indeed games. If you broke it down I'd say about 10% would be console and even less PC gamers. Mostly this is being pushed by the sjw to have them change the way RPGs and fps are being made.

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3
RE: Matrix Game Demography - 9/25/2014 5:17:52 PM   
Qwixt

It's definitely a sausagefest. If you're looking for a female date, you're probably not going to have much success here.

Want a girl that can finish that full campaign game of WitE:AE MP with you? Come on over to e-Matrix when you're looking for that special someone.

< Message edited by Qwixt -- 9/25/2014 6:21:04 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 4
RE: Matrix Game Demography - 9/25/2014 6:05:09 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

There are a number of highly active female posters on the forums, but it is probably fair to say that our games tend to be mostly played by men. In the broader gaming world more women are playing more games, which is great. You only have to look at the Bioware RPGs to see how engaged your female players will be if you can genuinely play from alternate perspectives. I think it is definitely true (across the broader gaming market) that 'if you build it they will come'. Casual gaming too of course, though I think it is reductive to say that women only play casual games.

That said, for the core wargaming it's a little different. Iain gave a good answer during the stream we did from the last event on our games specifically. Subject matter definitely affects cross-gender appeal.

Also: let's avoid toxic terms like SJW etc. I want to avoid the kinds of hysterical (see what I did there) escalation that you can easily find out there on some elements of this issue.

Cheers

Pip

follow me on Twitter here

(in reply to Qwixt)
Post #: 5
RE: Matrix Game Demography - 9/25/2014 7:34:53 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

SJW is a toxic term? Even if they consider themselves such and are an intregal part of the discussion as it pertains to females in the gaming circles?

Well let's call them briga frot dilliums. The actions of the briga frot dilliums are well documented and especially with the release of new info coming forward. Somehow the bfd's think that if games are made that are not of their vision it somehow excludes others from making games that do attract females. I'm all for anyone playing games, but a campaign to have other titles changed is selfish and artificial. It affects what I like. Is there any corner of the world that the bfd's don't infiltrate into and try to impose their views of limited freedom?

**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 6
RE: Matrix Game Demography - 9/25/2014 7:47:03 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

To add it would be like a group of men demanding that the image Lifetime Chanel portrays of men is disparaging to men in general and that they demand that all movies show men in a positive manner and of their vision of how a man should act.

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 9/25/2014 8:48:19 PM >

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 7
RE: Matrix Game Demography - 9/25/2014 7:53:40 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

It is a toxic term in that it is used to dismiss whole areas of discussion, and that is not useful. I'm confused by the idea that someone asking that a game be changed to something they would prefer is selfish. The idea that "they're coming to take our games!!1!!11" is just internet conspiracy run amok. Let's keep this thread about specific ideas, and avoid broad brush social or political commentary.

Cheers

Pip

Post #: 8
RE: Matrix Game Demography - 9/25/2014 7:54:04 PM   
GaryChildress

What does SJW mean? Or should I want to know? Maybe I should just leave it at that. 

EDIT: (Cross post) Never mind please don't tell me... I don't want to know.

< Message edited by Gary Childress -- 9/25/2014 9:04:16 PM >

Post #: 9
RE: Matrix Game Demography - 9/25/2014 7:59:02 PM   
GaryChildress

BTW, welcome back to the "general discussion" forums Missouri Rebel, I haven't seen you in a while. I guess I should say that too.

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 10
RE: Matrix Game Demography - 9/25/2014 8:28:59 PM   
MickM2

Sorry for starting this one, I was only trying to find a girlfriend. Just joking as am spoken for. Anyway more females gaming is a positive step forward.

Post #: 11
RE: Matrix Game Demography - 9/25/2014 8:31:40 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

Thank you Gary. Yeah I tend to stay away especially considering that almost every subject outside the same stuff is controversial here. And because controversies involve two sides it helps to keep one of the sides quiet to avoid the perceived 'controversy'. Such is the way. Anything different must be considered internet conspiracy run amok, despite evidence to the contrary.

quote:

I'm confused by the idea that someone asking that a game be changed to something they would prefer is selfish.

See post 6

Post #: 12
RE: Matrix Game Demography - 9/25/2014 8:36:42 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mick M

Sorry for starting this one, I was only trying to find a girlfriend. Just joking as am spoken for. Anyway more females gaming is a positive step forward.

No apologies needed. Not too many play war games. I can think of Rhonda but I'm not sure she's looking for a boyfriend. Lol

I'm all for including women in whatever they choose to do. Heck, my mother is a woman as is my wife and daughters. Even though they enjoy things like fishing atv riding shooting firearms etc. war games have never been their forte.

(in reply to MickM2)
Post #: 13
RE: Matrix Game Demography - 9/25/2014 8:44:03 PM   
berto

That I know of, at least three^H^H^H^Hwo women war gamers who frequent the Matrix Forum:

• rhondabrwn
  • [stricken from the list]
  • Graf Zeppelin [WITP:AE]

I'm sure there are others.

< Message edited by berto -- 9/25/2014 9:56:25 PM >

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
    Campaign Series Lead Coder http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
    Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder http://johntillersoftware.com

• Post #: 14
    RE: Matrix Game Demography - 9/25/2014 8:51:25 PM   
    Qwixt

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

What does SJW mean? Or should I want to know? Maybe I should just leave it at that. 

I had to google it,

quote:

SJW

Social Justice Warrior. A pejorative term for an individual who repeatedly and vehemently engages in arguments on social justice on the Internet, often in a shallow or not well-thought-out way, for the purpose of raising their own personal reputation. A social justice warrior, or SJW, does not necessarily strongly believe all that they say, or even care about the groups they are fighting on behalf of. They typically repeat points from whoever is the most popular blogger or commenter of the moment, hoping that they will "get SJ points" and become popular in return. They are very sure to adopt stances that are "correct" in their social circle.

The SJW's favorite activity of all is to dogpile. Their favorite websites to frequent are Livejournal and Tumblr. They do not have relevant favorite real-world places, because SJWs are primarily civil rights activists only online.

Post #: 15
    RE: Matrix Game Demography - 9/25/2014 8:57:36 PM   
    Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwixt

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

I had to google it,

quote:

SJW

Social Justice Warrior. A pejorative term for an individual who repeatedly and vehemently engages in arguments on social justice on the Internet, often in a shallow or not well-thought-out way, for the purpose of raising their own personal reputation. A social justice warrior, or SJW, does not necessarily strongly believe all that they say, or even care about the groups they are fighting on behalf of. They typically repeat points from whoever is the most popular blogger or commenter of the moment, hoping that they will "get SJ points" and become popular in return. They are very sure to adopt stances that are "correct" in their social circle.

The SJW's favorite activity of all is to dogpile. Their favorite websites to frequent are Livejournal and Tumblr. They do not have relevant favorite real-world places, because SJWs are primarily civil rights activists only online.

I'd say that that definition is wrong concerning all because many bfd's behave in a civil manner and are not hypocrites. They may still be wrong, but being a self described bfd doesn't mean they engage in those tactics. And unlike most bfd's I've come across, I'm open to hearing arguments to the contrary. Something about having ideas fought out on the battlefield of open exchange that I enjoy.

(in reply to Qwixt)
    Post #: 16
    RE: Matrix Game Demography - 9/25/2014 9:05:13 PM   
    Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwixt

It's definitely a sausagefest. If you're looking for a female date, you're probably not going to have much success here.

Want a girl that can finish that full campaign game of WitE:AE MP with you? Come on over to e-Matrix when you're looking for that special someone.

I'm not sure that would be such a good idea. Can you imagine dinner?

'Honey, are there any more cresent rolls left'

'No. They're gone just like your bases around the Solomon's you loser!'

Sigh!

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 9/25/2014 10:06:09 PM >

(in reply to Qwixt)
    Post #: 17
    RE: Matrix Game Demography - 9/25/2014 9:16:49 PM   
    Missouri_Rebel

With all that grandstanding above I still respect Matrix games and what they do. I'm a regular customer of theirs even if I don't post much anymore.

Also Mick. It might be useful if you post a source with those stats.

Edit: I meant my grandstanding just to be clear.

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 9/25/2014 10:38:48 PM >

Post #: 18
    RE: Matrix Game Demography - 9/25/2014 9:22:06 PM   
    PipFromSlitherine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

Thank you Gary. Yeah I tend to stay away especially considering that almost every subject outside the same stuff is controversial here. And because controversies involve two sides it helps to keep one of the sides quiet to avoid the perceived 'controversy'. Such is the way. Anything different must be considered internet conspiracy run amok, despite evidence to the contrary.

quote:

I'm confused by the idea that someone asking that a game be changed to something they would prefer is selfish.

See post 6

If I wanted to silence anyone I would have just locked the thread Always happy to see assertions backed up with evidence. That said, #6 is a hypothetical. There may well be people demanding that all games be entirely inclusive irrespecitve of context, but nobody is taking them seriously. CoD is a $B franchise - nobody is going to mess with the formula. On the other end of the scale, Bioware as I said has been aggressively inclusive for more than a decade without affecting the quality of the games at all. Like so many things these days this is a pretty sedate issue hijacked by a tiny minority at the extremes.

The wider internet 'debate' on this is packed with literal conspiracy theories as well as the kind of bile which thankfully we seldom see on these forums. I just want to keep the level of discourse here to its usual level.

Cheers

Pip

Post #: 19
    RE: Matrix Game Demography - 9/25/2014 9:32:21 PM   
    Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

quote:

See post 6

If I wanted to silence anyone I would have just locked the thread Always happy to see assertions backed up with evidence. That said, #6 is a hypothetical. There may well be people demanding that all games be entirely inclusive irrespecitve of context, but nobody is taking them seriously. CoD is a $B franchise - nobody is going to mess with the formula. On the other end of the scale, Bioware as I said has been aggressively inclusive for more than a decade without affecting the quality of the games at all. Like so many things these days this is a pretty sedate issue hijacked by a tiny minority at the extremes.

The wider internet 'debate' on this is packed with literal conspiracy theories as well as the kind of bile which thankfully we seldom see on these forums. I just want to keep the level of discourse here to its usual level.

Cheers

Pip

A very reasoned and factual reply. Bioshock is a great example and one where my daughter and wife enjoyed very much, as did I. I'll agree there are extremists on both sides.

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 9/26/2014 4:15:23 PM >

Post #: 20
    RE: Matrix Game Demography - 9/25/2014 9:43:23 PM   
    GaryChildress

EDIT: Sorry, wrong thread...

< Message edited by Gary Childress -- 9/25/2014 10:50:21 PM >

Post #: 21
    RE: Matrix Game Demography - 9/25/2014 10:01:54 PM   
    MickM2

Unable to post links for 7 days for some reason. Anyway it was in the British newspapers this week. Search in the Guardian and '52% of gamers are female' and you'll find the source.

Post #: 22
    RE: Matrix Game Demography - 9/25/2014 10:08:44 PM   
    GaryChildress

I take that back. This is the right thread for me. What are you talking about Missouri Rebel? Extremists on both side of what? Is there a spectrum of gamers or something? Or are we no longer talking about the gaming industry? All I see here are a bunch of people interested in some of the games offered by Matrix and Slitherine who are discussing things. Now we are talking about some sort of exclusion? Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I would think the fact that you are here in the forums is a pretty good indicator that  you aren't being excluded. On the other hand it does concern me a little that I have not noticed Mr. Rutins posting lately and Pipfromslitherine instead. Are the regular Matrix crew on a well deserved vacation? I'm a little concerned here.

Post #: 23
    RE: Matrix Game Demography - 9/25/2014 10:13:28 PM   
    MrsWargamer

How many of you boys enjoy cross stitching? Just curious :)

There's nothing at all wrong with the way our wargames are made.

But, a person has to want to play a wargame before they will play a wargame.

Right now, most of my time is spent either kicking butt play my Warlock Zoo deck (I win 4 out of 5 games at Rank 16), or I'm playing a tower defense type game of some sort on a tablet. But I love gem games too.

And my local buddy that I play Battle Academy with is likely not too happy with me. I have seriously trashed him bad in 3 maps so far. And in two of them, it almost seems like fate hates him.

But I have never ever once played another woman a wargame. Oh well.

I don't know any girl that isn't a gamer though. And I know of a lot of female role gamers. But, I have yet to meet any women that want to play table top miniatures.

(in reply to MickM2)
    Post #: 24
    RE: Matrix Game Demography - 9/25/2014 10:20:16 PM   
    GaryChildress

Never mind, I was typing Eric Rutins with a "c" on the end instead of Erik Rutins with a "k" in the "find a member" list. My bad. 

< Message edited by Gary Childress -- 9/25/2014 11:21:00 PM >

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
    Post #: 25
    RE: Matrix Game Demography - 9/25/2014 10:25:41 PM   
    wodin

MrsWargamer you should PM DSWargamer..though her last post was 4 days before you joined. Still she may still be around.

Post #: 26
    RE: Matrix Game Demography - 9/25/2014 10:26:12 PM   
    aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

How many of you boys enjoy cross stitching? Just curious :)

There's nothing at all wrong with the way our wargames are made.

But, a person has to want to play a wargame before they will play a wargame.

Right now, most of my time is spent either kicking butt play my Warlock Zoo deck (I win 4 out of 5 games at Rank 16), or I'm playing a tower defense type game of some sort on a tablet. But I love gem games too.

And my local buddy that I play Battle Academy with is likely not too happy with me. I have seriously trashed him bad in 3 maps so far. And in two of them, it almost seems like fate hates him.

I don't know any girl that isn't a gamer though. And I know of a lot of female role gamers. But, I have yet to meet any women that want to play table top miniatures.

Do you play The Sims too?

Post #: 27
    RE: Matrix Game Demography - 9/25/2014 11:37:36 PM   
    danlongman

My daughter complains a lot about the dinosaurs and neckbeards found in the male gaming community.
    She has been playing computer games of every sort since she stopped drooling on the keyboard and
    is in her mid 20's now. She regularly complains of the attitude displayed by certain of her male
    playmates and from what I have seen of it she has some justification. I never thought much of the values
    of certain gamers and do what I can to stay out of the "dinosaur" category. They abound in certain areas
    where PreCambrian conservative thinking is dominant.

"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
    Post #: 28
    RE: Matrix Game Demography - 9/26/2014 12:09:04 AM   
    rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

I could help you out there, but it would have to be PBEM unless you live in NE Arizona :)

Maybe a fast game of WiTP:AE? Somebody above wanted to see that

Joking! Joking! I meant a slow game at Newbie levels

Seriously... I'm very good at the HPS ACW games, especially Campaign Gettysburg, and they have a miniatures feel to them.

Any of you guys interested? I already managed to help break up one marriage so I'll be totally non-threatening and not display the 67 year old sex kitten that hides within my psyche. Honest!

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

Post #: 29
    RE: Matrix Game Demography - 9/26/2014 12:24:06 AM   
    Aurelian

I tried to teach my lady. but wargames didn 't take. Now something like Cinemaware's Three Stooges she loved.

She loves chess. But she never beats me.

Sometimes it just gets cold on that couch......

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
    Post #: 30
    Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Matrix Game Demography Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI