Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sub Air Bubble

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Sub Air Bubble Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sub Air Bubble - 8/27/2014 1:49:27 AM   
Grubwurm

Here's a link of a supersonic sub concept.

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/563840/20140825/underwater-travel-china-submarine-supercavitation-air-bubble.htm

The interesting thing is that Russia developed a torpedo capable of speed 320kts. This was during the cold war.
Post #: 1
RE: Sub Air Bubble - 8/28/2014 1:08:44 AM   
Stevechase

I am quite skeptical. If you read closely it says 370 kilometers (not knots). Which could mean 370 kilometers per day, per second, or per week. Besides I think it was all theoretical ie on paper ie no actual vehicles or torpedoes. But just my opinion, no expertise on my part or facts to back that up you understand. But still interesting post nonetheless.

< Message edited by Stevechase -- 8/28/2014 2:10:38 AM >

(in reply to Grubwurm)
Post #: 2
RE: Sub Air Bubble - 8/28/2014 6:17:55 AM   
Klahn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stevechase

I am quite skeptical. If you read closely it says 370 kilometers (not knots). Which could mean 370 kilometers per day, per second, or per week. Besides I think it was all theoretical ie on paper ie no actual vehicles or torpedoes. But just my opinion, no expertise on my part or facts to back that up you understand. But still interesting post nonetheless.

I don't know anything about the submarine, but the torpedo is quite real and has been in service for a long time.

VA-111 Shkval (wikipedia)

(in reply to Stevechase)
Post #: 3
RE: Sub Air Bubble - 8/28/2014 10:03:10 AM   
jarraya

It's not supersonic, but it is VERY fast.

< Message edited by jarraya -- 8/28/2014 11:03:37 AM >

(in reply to Klahn)
Post #: 4
RE: Sub Air Bubble - 8/28/2014 11:08:21 AM   
mrfeizhu

If you write about it its exists, ( along with Santa Claus, vampires and the Easter bunny). Most news from here is like reading the Onion www.theonion.com . The Article written in the original language says nothing about being it being theoretical. It makes some of the people happy.

Old man sort of living in China for the last 10 years

(in reply to jarraya)
Post #: 5
RE: Sub Air Bubble - 8/28/2014 9:45:12 PM   
Stevechase

I am still having a hard time believing it is anything other than theoretical as a weapon system. If a country has actually built an inventory of them that would certainly change my mind.

ps vampires aren't real? Nosferatu is going to be pissed.

(in reply to mrfeizhu)
Post #: 6
RE: Sub Air Bubble - 8/30/2014 4:29:45 AM   
NakedWeasel

Though surrounded by a great number of enemies
View them as a single foe
And so fight on!

(in reply to Stevechase)
Post #: 7
RE: Sub Air Bubble - 8/30/2014 10:07:48 PM   
Primarchx

What if it hit a whale going that speed?

(in reply to NakedWeasel)
Post #: 8
RE: Sub Air Bubble - 8/31/2014 7:59:42 AM   
Gunner98

quote:

ORIGINAL: Primarchx

What if it hit a whale going that speed?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 9
RE: Sub Air Bubble - 8/31/2014 9:00:43 AM   
RoryAndersonCDT

ahahahahaHahahAhahah

Command Dev Team

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 10
RE: Sub Air Bubble - 8/31/2014 12:13:24 PM   
STKS

A sub would need to travel at 1500 m/s to become supersonic as opposed to 340 m/s for an aircraft but maybe I'm just being pedantic You're certainly going to hear it coming, super cavitation or not. I'm fairly sure we will never see supersonic submarines, the issues with drag and propulsion are just too great. If you thought bird strikes were bad though,imagine what a whale strike would be like.

(in reply to RoryAndersonCDT)
Post #: 11
RE: Sub Air Bubble - 9/2/2014 1:18:42 AM   
Klahn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stevechase

I am still having a hard time believing it is anything other than theoretical as a weapon system. If a country has actually built an inventory of them that would certainly change my mind.

ps vampires aren't real? Nosferatu is going to be pissed.

Contact Dastan Engineering in Kyrgyzstan. They build and sell the export version (Shkval E). They've sold a bunch of them to China and apparently a number to Iran as well. Shkvals are regularly advertised for sale at defense industry shows. Iran is now building it's own version called "Hoot." (Iran, of course, claims they invented the Hoot themselves and that it is not based on the Shkval at all.)

I have a source that says virtually all Soviet nuclear submarines carried at least one with a nuclear warhead on it for use as a "revenge weapon" during the cold war. It was designed to destroy both the target and the launching platform.

The newer Russian ones are quite a bit slower, but are guided instead of pre-programmed. Guided Shkvals are not available on the export market.

(in reply to Stevechase)
Post #: 12
RE: Sub Air Bubble - 9/2/2014 3:15:55 PM   
jdkbph

Do you have a contact and a phone # for Dastan Engineering in Kyrgyzstan?

j/k

But seriously, it's not the existence of the super-cavitating torpedo that's in question (although it's utility most certainly is), but the super-cavitating submarine.

Think about it: Communication (including sensors) to/from a super-cavitating torpedo are problematic. It's one of the drawbacks of the technology. If one of those were to hit a large fish you might get by with an "ooops".

But if a super-cavitating sub were to hit a large fish...? Well, "ooops" probably isn't going to cover it.

JD

(in reply to Klahn)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Sub Air Bubble Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI