Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

My Historical Global War AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> My Historical Global War AAR Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
My Historical Global War AAR - 8/17/2014 10:45:18 PM   
rkr1958

This AAR documents my attempt to play a Global War scenario along historical lines. This doesn't mean that I will follow the historical flow exactly; but will use it as an outline to "conduct" my own war. I admit that I have a much greater understanding of the history of WW2 in Europe and North Africa than I do in Asia and the Pacific. So please forgive, and feel free to correct me, when I deviate too far from the historical. Though, if my play leaves opportunities with great benefit for either side that deviates from history, I won't hesitate to exploit them.

Germany: They want payback from the harsh conditions and humiliation imposed on them by the Treaty of Versailles. But most of all they want Lebensraum, or room to spread out, which they look to the East. Their strategic plan is for the conquest of Poland and Denmark in 1939. Holland, Belgium, France, Yugoslavia and Greece in 1940. Then it's on to the Soviet Union in 1941 to gain as much space as they can and, in the process, damage the Soviet army so that they're no longer a threat to them.

Italy: They plan on letting Germany do the heavy lifting against the allies. They want to expand their empire by grabbing whatever they can in North Africa and the Middle East.

Japan: Japan wants to grow their empire as much as possible through conquest in China and the Pacific. Their desire is to be left alone to do this; but realize the US won't sit on the sidelines forever.

The Commonwealth: Survive at first and then later join with the US to retake Western Europe and North Africa back from the Axis.

France: Survive as long as possible.

USA: Win the war in the Pacific and work with the CW to retake Western Europe and North Africa.

USSR: Survive 1941 and 1942 and then start rolling west until the German army is no more and all of Eastern Europe is under their control. In Asia, their plan is to let the USA and CW fight the Japanese and stay out of that one until both the destruction of the Germany and Japanese armies are assured. Then, they plan on entering the war against Japan and grab what they can before the war ends.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 8/17/2014 11:47:27 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: My Historical Global War AAR - 8/17/2014 11:11:22 PM   
rkr1958

I first starting learning the rules of and how to play WMiF (WiF) almost 6 months ago. Prior to the purchase of MWiF, I had zero experience with WiF, though I did read and follow posts on this forum, including AARs, off and on since joining over five years ago. If one were to rate experience and strength of play from: (1) novice, (2) beginner, (3) fair, (4) good, and (5) expert; I would rate myself as a "solid" beginner. I do feel I have put in the time to move from a novice to beginner, but I feel I still have a long way to go before I can classify myself as a fair player. Honestly, with solitary play only, I don't think (expect) to achieve anything higher than fair. And that's ok with me; because my objective is play and enjoy the game on my own time and my own terms. Though I do admit that the thought of playing against the AIO that Steve has envisioned does thrill me. I do hope that he does get the chance to build such an AIO, not so much for my sake, but for his as this, as I understand it, has been a long term goal for him.

The optional rules that I decided on was an iterative process that I discussed in: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3527647&mpage=3&key= (post 74 and prior).

I wanted to play with oil, the 1D10 land CRT and factional odds. I have "played" some with the 2D10 land CRT, but for me personally I just like the way the game plays with the 1D10 land CRT.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 2
RE: My Historical Global War AAR - 8/17/2014 11:14:57 PM   
rkr1958

Here's a rollup of all the units I scrapped during setup. Maybe I was too conservative in scrapping units?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 3
RE: My Historical Global War AAR - 8/17/2014 11:16:39 PM   
rkr1958

Lend lease pool just after setup.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 4
RE: My Historical Global War AAR - 8/17/2014 11:30:59 PM   
rkr1958

September 1, 1939. Case White - The Invasion of Poland.

With the exception of two garrisons, the entire Germany army and Luftwaffe are set up in the East for the attack on Poland. The German objective is for a swift conquest. The two garrisons in the West will be joined by the German reserves, which will be called out on this first impulse. Warsaw defenders include two 5-3 Polish infantry corps and the 1-4 infantry division.

The Soviets will move into and claim Eastern Poland and the Baltic States on their first impulse. After that, they plan to claim Bessarabia. They have it on reliable sources that the Germans won't deny their claim. However; they have no such designs on the Finnish borderlands.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 5
RE: My Historical Global War AAR - 8/17/2014 11:45:48 PM   
rkr1958

End of Sep/Oct 1939. European Theater of Operations (ETO)
The Germans were able to fully conquer Poland on their second impulse, which was the the third impulse of the Sep/Oct 1939 turn. They then began moving their forces West for the planned 1940 attacks on Holland, Belgium and France (i.e., Case Yellow). The next victim, however, is Denmark, which will be invaded and conquered next turn

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 8/18/2014 1:01:05 AM >

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 6
RE: My Historical Global War AAR - 8/18/2014 12:04:10 AM   
rkr1958

September 1, 1939. China. Japan is poised to continue their war of aggression against China and Asia.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 7
RE: My Historical Global War AAR - 8/18/2014 12:12:14 AM   
rkr1958

End of Sep/Oct 1939 Turn. Asia. The Japanese army group led by Umezu, and bolstered by significant reinforcements from Japan, makes good gains in southern China against the Nationalist.

In the north, an army led by Tevauchi moving for Korea advances on the Communist.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 8/18/2014 1:19:00 AM >

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 8
RE: My Historical Global War AAR - 8/21/2014 2:59:56 AM   
rkr1958

Nov/Dec 1939. Western Front.

The objective for the German High Command (OKW) was to begin the transfer of German forces from the East (Poland) to the West for the planned 1940 attack on the Low Countries and France (i.e., Case White). Case White will be lauched as soon as the weather permits. Also, the Germans used the end of 1939 to invade and conquer Poland. This invasion was conducted in poor weather and by happenstance on the last axis impulse of this turn. German forces were able to capture Copenhagen and Aarhus on this surprise impulse but weren't able to reach Frederikshak. As you'll see in the next post this has implications on Danish ships getting away and joining up with the CW.

In France, the British BEF composed of Gort HQ, 7-6 mech corps and 7-4 motorized corps took up their assigned defensive positions on the Anglo-French lines in Calais and Lille. They were transported from England and landed in France last turn (Sep/Oct 1939).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 9
RE: My Historical Global War AAR - 8/21/2014 3:04:36 AM   
rkr1958

The Surrender of Denmark.

The RN is the beneficiary of two Danish heavy cruisers and 4 CPs because of the inability of the Germans to overrun the Danish port of Frederikshaw on the impulse of invasion. This Danish fleet sails to Scapa Flow when Denmark formally capitulates to the Germans at the end of the Nov/Dec 1940 turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 10
RE: My Historical Global War AAR - 8/21/2014 3:35:48 AM   
rkr1958

Nov/Dec 1939. China.

In the south, the Japanese army group under the command of Umezu manages to capture the city of Nanning and advance into the mountains of the Kwangsi providence. The open city of Kweillin and a non-oil resource is there for their taking. The nationalist form a defensive line in the mountains of the Kweichow providence on a line running northeast from the Hung river to the Huran providence. Umezu anticipates slow going against the Nationalist next turn given the mountainous terrain, expected weather and supply difficulties.

In the north, the army under the command of Terauchi take up positions on the north bank of the Yellow river opposite the communist controlled city of Chengchow.

In the center, a newly landed army under the command of Admiral Yamanato, which disemarked at Shanghai, move directly west towards the lightly defended Hupen Providence.

Japan is throwing every corps and division they can muster into their attack on China. This will continue as long as the allies leave them alone.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 11
RE: My Historical Global War AAR - 8/21/2014 8:09:57 AM   
yvesp

If you allow me, I'd say that your German setup is not offensive enough in Poland.

You could have three stacks near Königsberg, ready to roll to Varshaw.

With surprise, it is difficult to defend against: if all three stacks can reach the city, then it is likely doomed in one impulse: with suprise, you ignore the river penalty (so basically you're already at 4-1 or better) ; to that you add the full GS that you have (so three units disorganized for a +5) ; thats about a +13 bonus (attacking HQ and HQ support will cancel out city penalties.) You can even throw in a combat Engineer for an additional +1 (unsure that we have it on setup though) : the 23+ result is then a 72% occurence, and an S result is a 90% occurence (using the 2d10 table.)

< Message edited by yvesp -- 8/21/2014 10:24:49 AM >

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 12
RE: My Historical Global War AAR - 8/21/2014 9:28:36 AM   
yvesp

quote:

ORIGINAL: rkr1958
In the south, the Japanese army group under the command of Umezu manages to capture the city of Nanning and advance into the mountains of the Kwangsi providence. The open city of Kweillin and a non-oil resource is there for their taking.

Note that you won't be able to use it until you bring it to a port by railway.
This involves either taking Vietnam (quite possible after a Vichy France); or Hengiang and all the railway lines to Canton. This is more difficult to achieve, especially as no Chinese ZOC is allowed for the resource to pass...

I'd also say that you Chinese are too scatered, sitting in cities. The Japanese should easily conquer China. Both warlords in central China should have been deployed in advanced positions, to prevent easy Japanese advance (the cities they protect are at no risk yet.)

More generally, the Japanese biggest problem is keeping supply in China ; their troops are vulnerable to being cut off, and the Chinese should be playing a war of movement, always trying to get behind the Japanese lines. For exemple, I'd move the infantry in the city south of Chenchow (that's a bad one because it is too slow, but it gives you an idea), and advance it east, until the Japanese react. If they don't, you threaten to advance into Suchow or, even better, Nanking : taking Nanking renders the Yamamoto army group more or less useless. Worst : your next reinforcements then can appear in the new city, which in the next turn is a supply source for China. Very soon, this can become a nightmare for Japan.

< Message edited by yvesp -- 8/21/2014 10:45:58 AM >

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 13
RE: My Historical Global War AAR - 8/22/2014 1:01:03 AM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: yvesp

If you allow me, I'd say that your German setup is not offensive enough in Poland.

With surprise, it is difficult to defend against: if all three stacks can reach the city, then it is likely doomed in one impulse: with suprise, you ignore the river penalty (so basically you're already at 4-1 or better) ; to that you add the full GS that you have (so three units disorganized for a +5) ; thats about a +13 bonus (attacking HQ and HQ support will cancel out city penalties.) You can even throw in a combat Engineer for an additional +1 (unsure that we have it on setup though) : the 23+ result is then a 72% occurence, and an S result is a 90% occurence (using the 2d10 table.)
Thanks, good to know!

I'm playing with the 1D10 land CRT and without combat engineers. With my setup I did look at a first turn attack on Warsaw and the odds that I could get were 4:1 +1. I'm playing with fractional odds so that could have shifted to 5:1 +1. At 4:1 +1 on the assault table at 4:1 +1 there's a 40% of not taking Warsaw, and which the (large) attacking force becomes disorganized. Even at 5:1 +1 there's a 20% chance of this happening. Given that I was going with a Sitzkrieg Case Yellow strategy, I decided to not go for Warsaw on the first impulse but clear the way so I could take it on the 3rd (i.e., 2nd axis) impulse, which is what I did. By the way, I did roll a 1 or 2 on a 7:1 assault attack (Poznan I believe), resulting in those attackers becoming disorganized. 2 of 3 of my other first impulse attacks were automatic and I rolled well on the 3rd, which was at 6:1 odds on the assault table.

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 8/22/2014 3:22:02 AM >

(in reply to yvesp)
Post #: 14
RE: My Historical Global War AAR - 8/22/2014 1:05:01 AM   
rkr1958

quote:

quote:

In the south, the Japanese army group under the command of Umezu manages to capture the city of Nanning and advance into the mountains of the Kwangsi providence. The open city of Kweillin and a non-oil resource is there for their taking.

Note that you won't be able to use it until you bring it to a port by railway.
This involves either taking Vietnam (quite possible after a Vichy France); or Hengiang and all the railway lines to Canton. This is more difficult to achieve, especially as no Chinese ZOC is allowed for the resource to pass...

I'd also say that you Chinese are too scatered, sitting in cities. The Japanese should easily conquer China. Both warlords in central China should have been deployed in advanced positions, to prevent easy Japanese advance (the cities they protect are at no risk yet.)

More generally, the Japanese biggest problem is keeping supply in China ; their troops are vulnerable to being cut off, and the Chinese should be playing a war of movement, always trying to get behind the Japanese lines. For exemple, I'd move the infantry in the city south of Chenchow (that's a bad one because it is too slow, but it gives you an idea), and advance it east, until the Japanese react. If they don't, you threaten to advance into Suchow or, even better, Nanking : taking Nanking renders the Yamamoto army group more or less useless. Worst : your next reinforcements then can appear in the new city, which in the next turn is a supply source for China. Very soon, this can become a nightmare for Japan.
Yes to all! Thanks for all the strategy tips. I definitely can use them! The good news is that all sides are being played by an inexperienced player.

I've actually 3 turns ahead of my posting (i.e., I've complete the Jul/Aug 1940 turn).

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 8/22/2014 3:20:21 AM >

(in reply to yvesp)
Post #: 15
RE: My Historical Global War AAR - 8/22/2014 2:30:46 AM   
rkr1958

Mar/Apr 1940. Western Front. Start of Case Yellow.
The Germans get a favorable weather roll and the weather is fine across the globe except for rain in the Arctic. I was surprised given this fine weather that the impulse advance was 2 and not 1, but that was asked and explained in http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3555406&mpage=9&key=# (post 268 - 270).

With the fine weather comes the start of Case Yellow and the invasion and conquest of the Netherlands on the first impulse. Though the chance of fine weather for the next axis impulse (#3) in the North Temperate is only 30%, the Germans get the roll and get fine weather again. They invade and easily conquer Belgium. It's a good start to Case Yellow.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 8/22/2014 3:31:57 AM >

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 16
RE: My Historical Global War AAR - 8/22/2014 2:32:54 AM   
rkr1958

The situation in West at the end of the turn. France is next!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 17
RE: My Historical Global War AAR - 8/22/2014 2:45:13 AM   
rkr1958

Mar/Apr 1940. China.

This was not the best of turns for the Japanese in China. In the north, the Communist counterattacked and retook the city of Chengchow, which the Japanese had captured last turn (Jan/Feb 1940). This counterattack destroyed 2 corps. Yamanato's army will pivot north to provide much needed relieve to Umezu's northern army. These two armies will be merged into a single army group under the command of Yamanato. His objective is to counter-counterattack and wipe the Chinese communist off the map.

In the south, Umezu's army group is stopped not by nationalist troops but by the weather and supply difficulties.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 18
RE: My Historical Global War AAR - 8/22/2014 2:46:43 AM   
rkr1958

Mar/Apr 1940. Destroyed Pool.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 19
RE: My Historical Global War AAR - 8/22/2014 8:41:40 AM   
yvesp

quote:

quote:

Thanks, good to know!

I'm playing with the 1D10 land CRT and without combat engineers. With my setup I did look at a first turn attack on Warsaw and the odds that I could get were 4:1 +1. I'm playing with fractional odds so that could have shifted to 5:1 +1. At 4:1 +1 on the assault table at 4:1 +1 there's a 40% of not taking Warsaw, and which the (large) attacking force becomes disorganized. Even at 5:1 +1 there's a 20% chance of this happening. Given that I was going with a Sitzkrieg Case Yellow strategy, I decided to not go for Warsaw on the first impulse but clear the way so I could take it on the 3rd (i.e., 2nd axis) impulse, which is what I did. By the way, I did roll a 1 or 2 on a 7:1 assault attack (Poznan I believe), resulting in those attackers becoming disorganized. 2 of 3 of my other first impulse attacks were automatic and I rolled well on the 3rd, which was at 6:1 odds on the assault table.

It's even better with the 1d10 CRT.

You could ground support with most of your Lnd. That's a 30+ addition considering the surprise (tactical factors doubled): the hex is captured 90% of the time (assault 7-1) ; you could Ground Strike before with one of the 2 factors Lnd : you'd likely to get and additional +1 for a 100% success.

Alternatively, you could Ground Strike with the 2 best Lnd and Ground Support with the two others. You'd have 80% to disorganize the three units (for a 100% success on the 5-1 attack column), and an additionnal 17% to disorganize two of them (for a 90% chance of success on the 5-1 attack column.)

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 20
RE: My Historical Global War AAR - 8/22/2014 11:10:26 AM   
rkr1958

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks, good to know!

It's even better with the 1d10 CRT.

You could ground support with most of your Lnd. That's a 30+ addition considering the surprise (tactical factors doubled): the hex is captured 90% of the time (assault 7-1) ; you could Ground Strike before with one of the 2 factors Lnd : you'd likely to get and additional +1 for a 100% success.

Alternatively, you could Ground Strike with the 2 best Lnd and Ground Support with the two others. You'd have 80% to disorganize the three units (for a 100% success on the 5-1 attack column), and an additionnal 17% to disorganize two of them (for a 90% chance of success on the 5-1 attack column.)

Wow and thanks! Look's like I need to come up with a better Polish setup if Warsaw can be captured that easily on the first impulse. How do you setup the Polish forces?

(in reply to yvesp)
Post #: 21
RE: My Historical Global War AAR - 8/22/2014 11:26:45 AM   
yvesp

quote:

Wow and thanks! Look's like I need to come up with a better Polish setup if Warsaw can be captured that easily on the first impulse. How do you setup the Polish forces?

Usually I setup like this.

But I'm not even sure that's a good setup.
Against usual opponents, it works well. But a crafty German might well find many holes with it. One I've recently seen is that I have only two units in Varshaw (you don't see them, because this is a Ground Strike shot), and I believe now that I should be able to smash this setup with a lone stack attack... I'd have to count to be sure, and I've not done that yet.

Anyway, the primary purpose of this setup is to "ensure" (if that has a meaning) that Varshaw is not captured on the first impulse. To this end, various units are placed west to block the advancing German units. None can be overrun and there is no road in the plains going to Varshaw.

The inf north of Varshaw prevents an attack on Varshaw from the eastern hexes: only one hex is available for attack. Actually, the infantry in Dantzig should be elsewhere (I need to rethink it again ; I know that setup was not optimal.)

The planes are in the forest and not stack: they won't be ground struck and will be available as support, unless the German uses a 6 movement armor to go there.

The HQ is SE. If it is ignored for Ground Strike or Ground Strike fails (usually 1 chance in 4), then it moves north and reorg the units in Varshaw, or it itself goes in to reinforce.

There certainly is better out there with veteran players. Now, I remember that this kind of setup once let me have Poland kicking and alive in November: needless to say that the German player did not enjoy it!

< Message edited by yvesp -- 8/22/2014 12:29:50 PM >

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 22
RE: My Historical Global War AAR - 8/22/2014 11:27:58 AM   
Orm

To me it looks better to attack Lodz during the first Axis impulse with that Polish defence and just ground strike Warsaw during the surprise. The attack on Lodz looks automatic to me.

Edit: This post was in reference of the Polish setup used in the AAR. See post #5.

< Message edited by Orm -- 8/22/2014 12:33:52 PM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 23
RE: My Historical Global War AAR - 8/22/2014 11:31:35 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

Usually I setup like this.

But I'm not even sure that's a good setup.
Against usual opponents, it works well. But a crafty German might well find many holes with it. One I've recently seen is that I have only two units in Varshaw (you don't see them, because this is a Ground Strike shot), and I believe now that I should be able to smash this setup with a lone stack attack... I'd have to count to be sure, and I've not done that yet.

Anyway, the primary purpose of this setup is to "ensure" (if that has a meaning) that Varshaw is not captured on the first impulse. To this end, various units are placed west to block the advancing German units. None can be overrun and there is no road in the plains going to Varshaw.

The inf north of Varshaw prevents an attack on Varshaw from the eastern hexes: only one hex is available for attack. Actually, the infantry in Dantzig should be elsewhere (I need to rethink it again ; I know that setup was not optimal.)

The planes are in the forest and not stack: they won't be ground struck and will be available as support, unless the German uses a 6 movement armor to go there.

There certainly is better out there with veteran players. Now, I remember that this kind of setup once let me have Poland kicking and alive in November: needless to say that the German player did not enjoy it!

Trouble with this setup is that Lodz looks like it can be captured during the first impulse by a automatic attack. And my humble opinion is that to Germany Lodz is more important than Warsaw.

----

Should this discussion be moved to a new thread?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to yvesp)
Post #: 24
RE: My Historical Global War AAR - 8/22/2014 11:34:21 AM   
yvesp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

To me it looks better to attack Lodz during the first Axis impulse with that Polish defence and just ground strike Warsaw during the surprise. The attack on Lodz looks automatic to me.

That's fine for me: Lodz is nothing!
And Varshaw stands : now, what's the weather next impulse ? No garantee it is good!

First and foremost, the defense of Poland it tightly linked with the defense of France!
Any impulse lost in Poland is an impulse lost on the attack of France...

In my latest AAR (japanese), the turns were long: By early June, France is virtually fallen... If March had seen even one impulse of good weather, it could have fallen then!
That's because Poland ties a significant amount of your troops, without which attacking west is difficult. And you want to move these units west, as fast as possible. And it may be long in winter turns, with mud...

So if you take an impulse to capture Lodz, that's fine to me!

PS: I think that it is not a good idea to let Poland stand long. First, it is a liabilty : you never what a suicidalk rampaging unit might do (overrun some naval units in undefended ports or whatever...) And more to the point, by January, the Russian might well be in a position to declare war on you : that's something I'd definitely not play with!

< Message edited by yvesp -- 8/22/2014 12:39:11 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 25
RE: My Historical Global War AAR - 8/22/2014 11:38:50 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

That's fine for me: Lodz is nothing!
And Varshaw stands : now, what's the weather next impulse ? No garantee it is good!

First and foremost, the defense of Poland it tightly linked with the defense of France!
Any impulse lost in Poland is an impulse lost on the attack of France...

In my latest AAR (japanese), the turns were long: By early June, France is virtually fallen... If March had seen even one impulse of good weather, it could have fallen then!
That's because Poland ties a significant amount of your troops, without which attacking west is difficult. And you want to move these units west, as fast as possible. And it may be long in winter turns, with mud...

So if you take an impulse to capture Lodz, that's fine to me!

You do know that both Lodz and Warsaw are needed to conquer France?

If Lodz, with the red factory, and both resources are captured by Germany then there is really no hurry for Germany to conquer Poland. Warsaw can be left to the infantry while the panzer rush west.

(in reply to yvesp)
Post #: 26
RE: My Historical Global War AAR - 8/22/2014 11:42:42 AM   
yvesp

quote:

You do know that both Lodz and Warsaw are needed to conquer France?

If Lodz, with the red factory, and both resources are captured by Germany then there is really no hurry for Germany to conquer Poland. Warsaw can be left to the infantry while the panzer rush west.

Yes, but Lodz is easier to conquer, because it has no river protection.
Once Varshaw is lost, Lodz is toast, whatever the weather.

And if you want to play it smart with the neutrality pact while France is not fallen, thats good for you, but not for me: your units within a Polish ZOC don't count as garrison...

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 27
RE: My Historical Global War AAR - 8/22/2014 12:52:45 PM   
composer99

quote:

I would say that the reverse is also true.

As Germany, I probably set up almost as few units as possible against the Poles (I have a division group ready to sweep across Denmark, a couple of corps poised to advance into Yugoslavia, and a few corps and von Rundstedt along the Western Front) and unless I have bad attack rolls, I rarely have a problem taking Poland the first turn of the game, even in bad weather.

The Poles are just too weak. My experience is that Poland takes three impulses worth of land attacks to capture (1 to clear away the borderland riff-raff, 1 to take each city), with weather and German attack results determining whether they are consecutive or not.

The only real timetable is that Poland has to be finished off in Nov/Dec 39 at the latest.

~ Composer99

(in reply to yvesp)
Post #: 28
RE: My Historical Global War AAR - 8/22/2014 2:00:29 PM   
Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

quote:

I would say that the reverse is also true.

As Germany, I probably set up almost as few units as possible against the Poles (I have a division group ready to sweep across Denmark, a couple of corps poised to advance into Yugoslavia, and a few corps and von Rundstedt along the Western Front) and unless I have bad attack rolls, I rarely have a problem taking Poland the first turn of the game, even in bad weather.

The Poles are just too weak. My experience is that Poland takes three impulses worth of land attacks to capture (1 to clear away the borderland riff-raff, 1 to take each city), with weather and German attack results determining whether they are consecutive or not.

The only real timetable is that Poland has to be finished off in Nov/Dec 39 at the latest.

Agreed. And you don't even need to capture Lodz in the first turn either. The resources are the ones that matter.

Peter

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 29
RE: My Historical Global War AAR - 8/22/2014 6:37:32 PM   
AllenK

Hi,

This is a set-up I tried. It means the Germans can't get to Warsaw on the first impulse. The Inf Div in the port means the Germans have to commit a reasonable unit to take it, otherwise the Navy is gifted to the CW. On most of the runs I have tried with this, the Germans are still able to conquer Poland in 2-3 impulses given reasonable die rolls. There was one classic where with Warsaw completely surrounded, something like a 1 or 2 was rolled. All attackers disorganised and no loss to defenders. Poland survives to the next turn.

An alternative would be to put the Inf Div in Lodz so the Germans have to kill 2 units to capture it. I haven't tried it yet but if it enables a better chance of Lodz surviving the first assault and draws the units away from Warsaw, particularly if some are disorganised, it may prolong things.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> My Historical Global War AAR Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI