Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question regarding minefields

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Question regarding minefields Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question regarding minefields - 8/15/2014 8:18:49 PM   
Boomer Redleg

I was looking over Scenario 2 Stock and the minefields for Japan. The manual says that each ACM maintains up to 150 mines. There are only 33 ACM at the start of the game but just to maintain the existing minefields with ACM ships in this scenario Japan would need 75 of them.

Is there something else that factors into maintaining minefields like maybe port level or something? I could probably start making another 42 ACM but that would take time and the existing minefields would start to deteriorate.

Kaboom!

- See ya
Post #: 1
RE: Question regarding minefields - 8/15/2014 8:32:23 PM   
witpqs

quote:

Is there something else that factors into maintaining minefields like maybe port level or something?

No. The at-start minefields are not really historical, they are calculated based upon (I forget) either total base size or port size. So, the number of ACM ships is going to be more historical than the number of mines or mine fields (numbers of various ship types is more historical in some later scenarios than in the stock scenarios too, but that's a different matter).

So you may not have enough ACM to go around, and you will have to prioritize where you put them.

(in reply to Boomer Redleg)
Post #: 2
RE: Question regarding minefields - 8/15/2014 9:13:07 PM   
dr.hal

Or you can convert.... there are many small AKLs that convert or small PBs. It might be worth it in the long run.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3
RE: Question regarding minefields - 8/16/2014 4:10:56 AM   
crsutton

In reality you will not need to worry about certain bases as the game goes on. Allies really should not be concerned about mines at rear bases after 1/43. The window for Japanese invasion and raids is pretty much gone by then. Likewise as Japanese bases get bypassed you won't have to worry about mines where the Allies are not going to attack. You should have enough ACMs to do what you need. Don't worry about making more unless you have high losses.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 4
RE: Question regarding minefields - 8/16/2014 5:42:06 AM   
witpqs

quote:

Allies really should not be concerned about mines at rear bases after 1/43.

I disagree with this in one respect. Major Allied bases get decent protection from submarine attacks by having good mine fields in place. Of course ASW groups and air search, etc. should also be running.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 5
RE: Question regarding minefields - 8/16/2014 1:46:12 PM   
dr.hal

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

Major Allied bases get decent protection from submarine attacks by having good mine fields in place.

As this thread started with a question about Japanese minefields, I would argue that what witpqs states is valid for the Japanese as well. Keeping the minefields in tact within Japanese waters allows for precious ASW assets to be used in other areas that are not protected. If a sub were to deploy into a hex with 200-400 mines, it is almost certain death. Therefore, I would venture to say that the "maintenance" of that field by ACMs is a great deterrent. Thus having enough ACMs is important. There are plenty of small coastal cargo vessels that can convert to meet the needs of Japan (as Japan certainly doesn't need any more coastal cargo ships!).

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 6
RE: Question regarding minefields - 8/18/2014 3:29:58 AM   
Boomer Redleg

Thanks all, for your thoughts and perspective. I think I'll make a few more ACM as it's pointed out that I have quite a few "extra" small cargo ships. But I don't think I'll try to keep all of the mine fields either. It's to bad I can't recover some of those mines in the mine fields.

Anyways, thanks again.

Kaboom!

- See ya

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Question regarding minefields Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI