Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Your favourite scenario and why...?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Your favourite scenario and why...? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Your favourite scenario and why...? - 8/8/2014 6:59:20 AM   
wodin

Whats your favourite scenario across he whole series?

Mine is Parachutes over Corinth. It's a small size scenario that thankfully lasts a decent length of time and isn't over to quickly, which all adds up to me getting really immersed as it's easy to keep track of all your units and know exactly whats happening with them. I can actually appreciate the way the AI works and see see the attacks go in in formation easier with few units on the map. I no longer just see loads of square counters moving around the map but instead see companies of pixeltruppen doggedly fighting at times desperate firefights. I take more time checking over the units stats and seeing if the commanders have names and a bio which adds again to the immersion. Finally to op it off the scenario has periods where you have to defend and other times attack.

Post #: 1
RE: Your favourite scenario and why...? - 8/8/2014 8:15:09 AM   
dazkaz15

One of my favourites is Elsenborn Ridge.
Probably because its the one I weaned my teeth on, while learning to play, so will always have an element of sentimental value lol

I have not actually played very many of the scenarios. Mainly because of the AAR's, and my slow play style.

The cleverest designed scenarios I have played, is the one Phoenix introduced me to recently, Elasson Rear Guard.

I have also enjoyed the Tutorial Return to St Vith.
Cracking the Goose Egg.
Hofen Ho-Down
Joe's Bridge
Of course the epic From the Meuse to the Rhine, is a classic in my opinion, but needs about 2 months to play at my speed

I wasn't very keen on Losheim Gap, but that was probably because the small Cavalry units in the North, were unrealistically tough and annoying. I think that's fixed now.
The tactical Exersise ones are broken in my opinion, but provide a challenge for those that are into puzzle solving

I still have many scenarios to play yet, so good stuff to look forward to, including your recommended Parachutes over Corinth

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2
RE: Your favourite scenario and why...? - 8/8/2014 11:48:17 AM   
Phoenix100

Must try Paras over Corinth, Jason. Never have, partly because it's fictional, and my preference is for historical. I've spent A LOT of time on From the Meuse to the Rhine. Way too much time. It's superb. I stopped when I felt I could get a win, as allies, which took me perhaps 50 runs through, where others could do it immediately!! I've also spent ages on Manhay, which is challenging as Axis. I've never got a decisive victory, despite spending a really enjoyable weekend at the battlefield itself. Enjoyed Hofen most when I was practising. Recently enjoyed Ellasson Rear Guard. But I'm sad to report, in a way, that my favourite ever is Huib's The Woensdrecht Isthmus, because it's longish, yet with a manageable number of forces (same reasoning as you, Jason), it involves periods of attack followed by periods of defence and a need to shift forces strategically to cover the places where the AI decides to focus. It really is superb, I think. Extremely nice map, nice estab, playable from both sides. From the Allied side it's Canadians with an interesting mix of armour and infantry, for the Axis it's KG Chill which I've been reading all about in the book I mentioned in another thread on Race for Bastogne recently. It's historical, and was a nasty, bitter fight in real life. It's just up the road from where I live, and so I've been able to visit the site.

Recently got into Race for Bastogne and enjoyed. It's big, with a full Corps t command, so you have to take your time.

And then there have been the experiments with platoon level scenarios put together by CapnHillrat. Had great fun playing soviets in the Kekava Fireight.

All great scenarios, I think. But Woensdrecht was the first one I played through where I thought the balance of length to size was just right for what I like.

< Message edited by phoenix -- 8/8/2014 12:49:48 PM >

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 3
RE: Your favourite scenario and why...? - 8/8/2014 6:03:18 PM   
ubiquitous

Like Daz, I haven't played many (perhaps 4 or 5 from BftB, 2 from HTTR, and none--yet--from BFG) so I'm not sure I could say with much authority which were the best.

That said, I attach a lot of sentimental value to "Return to St Vith", which is also a neat and atmospheric scenario. I have been recently playing "All Americans Over Nijmegan", which proved to be a lot of fun (and has an outstanding map). I also enjoyed "Final Jump", although I found it quite challenging. Looking forward to getting more under my belt!

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 4
RE: Your favourite scenario and why...? - 8/8/2014 7:30:39 PM   
dazkaz15

I just finished playing Parachutes over Corinth Jason.

It was a fun little scenario, but for me doesn't have the replay value of the larger ones.
Even though I didn't know where the Allie's reinforcements were coming in on the map, or when, I found I was easily able to contain them.
Now I know where they enter, I don't think this scenario would hold much of a challenge playing as Axis.

I guess the same can be said for most of the smaller scenarios, and to a lesser degree the larger ones as well, once you have played it through, and gained that kind of Intel.

Which side do you play as?

(in reply to ubiquitous)
Post #: 5
RE: Your favourite scenario and why...? - 8/8/2014 7:53:32 PM   
Werewolf13

Hmmm...

For BFTB (this may sound silly) I'm partial to the St Vith tutorial. Small enough that I'm not overwhelmed by having to control a large number of units. The objective is clear, precise and can be achieved in a number of different and not so obvious ways. And it can be played in just an hour or two.

For HTTR I'm partial to Joe's Bridge for much the same reason as noted above.

For BfG - haven't had it that long so I really have no favorite at this point in time. From what I've seen my initial impressions are that it has a great deal more variety in both maps/terrain, units and scenario situations thatn BFTB or HTTR which are big plusses for me. On the other hand I'm forced to play Axis or British forces neither of which I am a big fan of though I'll always choose to play Axis forces against soviet everytime and usually - though not always - will choose to play the Axis over British in scenarios that have those opposed.

Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 6
RE: Your favourite scenario and why...? - 8/9/2014 7:02:08 AM   
dazkaz15

With reference to what I said above about the Parachutes over Corinth scenario, which is a what if scenario, it got me thinking about how to make it more challenging.
Maybe in a future version of Command ops, it would be possible for the scenario designer to create several different entry locations for the arriving reinforcements in fictional scenarios, and have a random generator decide which location to spawn them in?

(in reply to Werewolf13)
Post #: 7
RE: Your favourite scenario and why...? - 8/9/2014 7:52:16 AM   
Arjuna

The scenario designer already has that option. Just create multiple reinforcement schedules of the same type - eg standard , favour friendly, favour enemy - and the Ai will select one of these randomly at scenario start.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 8
RE: Your favourite scenario and why...? - 8/9/2014 9:35:02 AM   
Gizuria

I'd have to say the tutorial mission,'Return to St Vith' too. I have played that mission as the Allies so many times. It has a very manageable OB and is most fun using the Favour Axis options. I really like that I have to assault, capture and secure a bridge early on the first day.

I also really enjoy the 'All Americans over Nijmegen' scenario but have only played it a couple of times.

I haven't played any BfG missions yet. Saving them up for a rainy day.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 9
RE: Your favourite scenario and why...? - 8/9/2014 10:53:57 AM   
wodin

Daz..yes your right..played as Germans..but it was so long ago since I last played it I had forgotten the route they came in. I suppose it more the immersion I get with smaller unit amounts:)

(in reply to Gizuria)
Post #: 10
RE: Your favourite scenario and why...? - 8/10/2014 4:45:03 PM   
dazkaz15

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

The scenario designer already has that option. Just create multiple reinforcement schedules of the same type - eg standard , favour friendly, favour enemy - and the Ai will select one of these randomly at scenario start.

That's awesome Dave
I'm not sure I understand completely what you mean though?
Don't you have to choose the "standard , favour friendly, favour enemy" manually at the start, with a press of the button, on the opening screen?

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 11
RE: Your favourite scenario and why...? - 8/10/2014 7:00:58 PM   
jimcarravall

quote:

ORIGINAL: dazkaz15

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

That's awesome Dave
I'm not sure I understand completely what you mean though?
Don't you have to choose the "standard , favour friendly, favour enemy" manually at the start, with a press of the button, on the opening screen?

Each of the reinforcement variations could include the same units, but could have different arrival locations and times depending on how many separate instances of the variation the designer chooses to design. If there is more than one instance under each of the variations, those instances are selected at random at game start.

Take care,

jim

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 12
RE: Your favourite scenario and why...? - 8/10/2014 9:06:04 PM   
dazkaz15

Ah, thanks Jim.
I understand now

(in reply to jimcarravall)
Post #: 13
RE: Your favourite scenario and why...? - 8/12/2014 5:13:05 PM   
Fred Sanford

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimcarravallah

Each of the reinforcement variations could include the same units, but could have different arrival locations and times depending on how many separate instances of the variation the designer chooses to design. If there is more than one instance under each of the variations, those instances are selected at random at game start.

I had a version set up in COTA that used the desert map, and had about 20 reinforcement schedules for each side. Just about every unit in both the Panzerarmee Afrika and the 8th Army was in the force list, but only 2-4 brigades were used in each reinforcement schedule, so there was tons of variability. Wasn't that hard to set up.

(in reply to jimcarravall)
Post #: 14
RE: Your favourite scenario and why...? - 8/21/2014 12:53:25 AM   
RangerX3X

Hands down Parachutes over Corinth from Conquest of the Aegean. The scenario is short, fun and has replay value.

(in reply to Fred Sanford)
Post #: 15
RE: Your favourite scenario and why...? - 8/21/2014 6:46:50 PM   
Perturabo

I also like St Vith the most.

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to RangerX3X)
Post #: 16
RE: Your favourite scenario and why...? - 8/21/2014 7:27:26 PM   
Major SNAFU_M

My favorites are Hoffen and St. Vith, because they are my go to scenarios when I want to test each new version to see how things are changing. Joe's bridge is another great one. I tend to stick to smaller scenarios so I can get more tries in on the same one and experiment with different plans. I also fiddle with the supply and reinforcement schedules.

This also leaves me with some time to work with the map maker....

"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." -

"One ping to find them all,
One ping to link them;
One ping to promote them all,
and in the darkness sink them"

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 17
RE: Your favourite scenario and why...? - 8/22/2014 8:57:58 AM   
Remmes

I like the smaller scenario's best because the allow me to oversee what is happening. I tend to lose oversight in the larger scenarios.

St Vith because it feels trusted
Hell on wheels counterattack because it is short and has replay value
Manhay crossroads; not too big and challenging from both sides
Advance from Joe's bridge is also an nice scenario trying to squeeze the Tommies through to Eindhoven

Wish I had more time to sink my teeth deeper into CO. Just not happening at the moment.

(in reply to Major SNAFU_M)
Post #: 18
RE: Your favourite scenario and why...? - 8/23/2014 6:38:12 AM   
dazkaz15

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ramses

I like the smaller scenario's best because the allow me to oversee what is happening. I tend to lose oversight in the larger scenarios.

I tend to agree with you mate.

I think this might change when we get the planning graphics in Command Ops 2 though.
It will be much easier to keep track of your forces, and to develop and stick to a plan.
Indeed it will make developing a plan into a game of its own I think.

(in reply to Remmes)
Post #: 19
RE: Your favourite scenario and why...? - 8/27/2014 8:20:44 AM   
ulisin

hi all

my fav scenario?
that I'm playing!

by the way
LONG SCENARIOS! - to play against AI
(first clash at veve, 7 days, magnificent, bastogne breakout, charge of centauro... 9 days, long httr scenarios... etc)

shorter scenarios - vs human

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 20
RE: Your favourite scenario and why...? - 8/29/2014 6:53:44 PM   
wodin

Same as me:)
quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerX3X

Hands down Parachutes over Corinth from Conquest of the Aegean. The scenario is short, fun and has replay value.

(in reply to RangerX3X)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Your favourite scenario and why...? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI