From: The Briar Patch Nebula
ORIGINAL: Gas Can
Awesome mod! My solo reason for keeping Distant World! However there're still much to improve, and I would sincerely hope that you guys can keep up the great work!
Bug: Benzite--a member species of Fed--colony is hostile to my Fed faction, cant colonize it.
Issues regarding immersions:
1. Is it possible to refrain Borg from engaging in diplomatic activities? In the original game the mech dont form any treaty or make any trade in the early stage of the game.
2. Tech tree so not ST! Where is my transphasic/plasma/gravimetric/chroniton/tricobalt torpedos(Phased Plasma Torpedo is quite non-canon), plasma/tetryon/phased polaron beam array, Auto-regenerative/Metaphysic/multi-spatial/Multi-spectrum/Paratrinic/Refractive shield, multikinetic neutronic mine and thalaron radiation weaponry? Hopefully you guys are planning on giving some species(Fed would be ns! I dont care about other "inferior" factions) their own tech tree! For example: Spatial--photon--quantum--transphasic torpedo. Ah and Impulse engine...
3. Can Fed become easier to colonize independent colonies? I would rather not conquering them.
Hello Gas Can, and thanks for your compliment! Glad you're enjoying our mod!
Concerning your issues...without hopefully drawing out a long discussion, I'll just quote Spock and
say "the needs of the many, outweighs the needs of the few. Or the one."
In producing this mod, I decided to make the mod a sort of "dealer's choice" type of mod when it
came to "canon immersion". The way DW is structured, I attempted to follow Elliot's direction and
provide a situation where the mod can address almost any situation. If you want as close to canon, then
select the races that are canon in ST theory and deselect the ROTS storyline so no Shakturi or Mechanoids
appear. If you don't care 'too much' about complete canon, play with any or all of the races, with or without the ROTS Storyline.
Or play from Pre-Warp and use your imagination. This is what I believe we have achieved. The only frustrating thing I encounter,
as in your statement about the Benzite race, (your opinion is ALWAYS fully valid though Gas Can) is that if a certain viewpoint is
not seen, then it must be a BUG! As a Trekkie I'm fully aware of the Benzite, Bajoran, and for a while Ktarian races were Federation members. Everyone's version of immersion can be different (Hey, that rhymed!).
Addressing your concerns directly though:
1. The Borg have been diplomatic in certain occasions. Such as the treaty with Janeway in the conflict with Species 8472. But since the mechanics of this game allow it, we nerfed the friendliness stats, and since a race HAS to interact with the private sector to have credits and survive in the mechanics of the game, so be it. So although I fully see your viewpoint, short of making the Borg a minor, static race, we punted! My 'Borg specialist' Carl4243 may provide you more detail if you wish to PM him about it.
2. Yes, we only BARELY touched the tech tree (and Research, and Facilities).
But again, as stated before, this theme/mod is handed to everyone to be even more moddable by each specific player. If you want to have all the bells and whistles (plasma/tetryon/phased polaron beam array or whatever) add them. If you don't like the UI graphics, change them to your liking, or add Das's UI like shown in his "Let's Play" sessions. Or integrate Icemania's AI Improvement Mod. Again, as stated before, we tried to address the "needs of the many"!
3. Not fully sure what you're desiring with that question. If you will, please PM me and elaborate in a bit more detail. We can then have a good discussion once I get a better idea of what you're looking for.
We can't deal with each and every request, but as I'm working on Version 2.0 in September, I DO like to
receive feedback. There will be more additions and changes (both canon & non-canon) in Version 2.0 as long as I can add them without breaking the things we built the mod to do.
Hope I responded to your issues amicably and didn't sound too brutish. Just getting a few too many inquiries about things that are more game mechanic changes than mod changes.
< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 8/23/2014 8:24:59 PM >
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...