I need your assistance. I have done the tutorial, read the manual, looked at the Forum FAQ, read newbie guide, watched the DAS video series, and am halfway through Larry's extreme play through. I certainly may have missed some stuff, but I have a few questions that I could use your help answering.
1) Ship types: Does the AI treat Frigates and Destroyers differently in combat? Do I need Frigates and Destroyers or will one type be sufficient? Does the AI have a default setting for each class of ship in combat regardless of weapons if automated? Are some more likely to standoff and others charge in? I understand explores and civilian ships evade, but what about military ship class tactics by the AI? I am trying to avoid what some have called the "death ball" where everyone piles on top of each other unless you manually choose standoff.
2) Damage control / Repair bots: Do these work on stations/spaceports or just ships? I have seen old forum posts saying multiple repair bots on ships works and others saying it doesn't?
3) Terraforming: Is it me or is there no way to improve the quality of a planet or change it from one type (ex. ocean to desert over a period of time to optimize it for your race? I know you can build wonders and luxuries for growth rate, but what about improving planet quality?
4) Forward repairing and refueling of ships: I understand the resupply ship concept for refueling, but what about quickly repairing a fleet in enemy held territory? For large maps, where fleets travel great distances, is it optimal to rotate fleets, add modules to gas mining stations/spaceports, or build a super support constructor/resupply ship that can dock and repair multiple ships quickly?
5) Number of Manufacturing plants vs number of construction yards: I read an older thread that stated that people tested one manufacturing plant provided enough support for up to 30 consruction yards? This was referred to as a design bug. Has this been fixed?
Thanks everyone for your comments.