This mod is in the process of being completely overhauled. The research tree is currently redone with a reorganized clearer structure. Vanilla research will be rebalanced where needed, there will be tons of new weapons, reactors, hyper drives and other components as well as more wonders and facilities. Follow the thread for more info.
The latest version of the Research Extended mod will be left up until the initial release of the new Research Reloaded mod. Expect it.
Basically ready for beta release. There are 950 research projects and 293 components. The last free components and 50 projects are reserved for race specific tech for the still to be added races.
Expect a beta within days after the component #256 bug gets fixed.
I have several cool improvements and extensions for Universe that either don't work or can't be added until the game gets a new patch, so plead to the developers together with me to consider implementing at least the first requests on my wish list.
3 would be great, 5 fantastic, even more would bowl me over.
Developer Support Wishlist
Things I'd like to have in the order of importance.
1) Allow more ressources to affect races in the race files. Right now there are 3, I need 7 to implement the 4 different kinds of drugs I've added to the game which have various effects. That also gives the pirates more contraband.
2) Allow more than 1000 research projects. I'd need 1200 to implement everything already planned.
3) Add a description field for components similar to facilities and plagues.
OR (even better)
Allow adding new content like component descriptions to the galactopedia. I have added description pages for several new weapon types, but they don't show up at all.
4) Include bonus/malus for weapons like targeting or striking against shields/armor in the components file instead of hardcoding them. It would be great if there were a new option for the weapon's impact on the crew so I could create a real death ray.
5) Allow setting a certain diplomatic penalty for the use of "evil" tech (now hardcoded only for planet bombardment/destruction).
6) Allow defining new facilities similar to wonders, if possible with more influence options.
7) Allow building more and various planetary weapons. As of now only one weapon per planet is possible.
8) Allow alternate weapons for fighters and bombers and apply their special properties.
9) Further raise the max number of components. I'm at 293 already and there still are a bunch of race techs to add. A few more would be nice, but I can also delete some obsolete vanilla ones.
10) Allow restricting research projects to certain governments similar to restricing them to races.
11) Allow more races. The more the better. A team of modders is thinking about a mega mod for DW Universe and 50 is way to low.
Developer Support Wishlist - Done - Thank you, Eric & Elliot
* Raise the max number of components from 170 to at the very least 250. I already have 50 new components I can't add. The list is growing, I'm done with just the first research area.
* Add templates for planet destroyers.
Since only beam weapon research leads to planet destroyers I want to add other planet buster weapons as endtech for several other weapon research paths to even out the playground. The problem is I need ship templates for planet destroyers so the various races can utilize the different weapons. Even better would be to allow ship class and template creation.
* Make the bundled huge construction size from gaining planet destroyer weapons unusable for ships without such a planet buster in the design.
There's also the question how the game recognizes alternate planet destroying weapons. Destructive power only or is there need for a new parameter in the components file?
Old initial mod version from here on.
This mod extends all tech trees of Distant Worlds Universe and gives you plenty of new tech and components to research. It includes my Lower Speed And Range mod, others may be added in the future. Colonisation is going to be completely redone based on the concept of Colonization Rebalanced v0.1.
This mod is WIP, there will be lots of new tech and components added you can look forward to.
It is basically still a beta. It includes mainly rebalancing, but some stuff complimenting the Lower Speed And Range mod is already added, namely new hyper drives, fuel cells and storage systems. Those are already balanced and fit right in so you are free to test.
Expect an update soon, maybe later today, but probably tomorrow.
This mod is not going to be abandoned anytime soon. Should I vanish from the forum for a prolonged time the community and/or Matrix is allowed to continue working on this mod, but if I return I probably want it back.
You're welcome to integrate this mod into other mod packs, just credit me if you release your mod to the public.
New version is up, you can download it here:
< Message edited by lurchi -- 9/27/2014 3:28:59 PM >