From: Secret Underground Lair
Little update on my efforts to get the Osito Galactic Star Map "Human Evolution" scenario to run with the "Bacon Mod + RetreatUE + Das Chrome" theme.
Based on something said by a previous poster in this thread, I wanted to explore the possibility that the two packages could be "duped" into working together simply by insuring that the directory name for the "theme" running when a new game is setup matched the directory name for the theme in which the map was originally created in the editor. I thought I'd first try with the "Extended Universe" version of Human Evolution.
I tracked down Haree78's "Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.3 released 40 races", downloaded and extracted it. This looked like this:
H:\\Downloads\DW Extended Universe 1.0.3 + Das Chrome Blue\DW Extended Universe
Mainly I did this just to know what the string was for the name of Haree78's theme. I wasn't sure if Osito's map would expect the larger (parent) string or the smaller one, so I decided to try the smaller one first "DW Extended Universe."
I then created a copy of
H:\\Steam\steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\Customization\RetreatUE Bacon
and renamed it:
H:\\Steam\steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\Customization\DW Extended Universe
When I loaded that theme (the "dupe labeled" RetreatUE) the interface told me there were two scenario maps for the theme, and I attempted to load the Human Evolution map.
In contrast to previous attempts to load the Human Evolution map with the more accurate "RetreatUE Bacon" name for the theme, there was no popup text telling me the game was attempting access any other directory (e.g., "Loading DW Extended Universe theme") so I took that as a sign that, the application had been duped into believing that the strings for the current them and the theme in which the map had been created matched up (suggesting there would be no point in trying the longer string "DW Extended Universe 1.0.3 + Das Chrome Blue."
Unfortunately this is where things went astray and the result of the tests suggests to me that the simple approach of "duping" the app by falsely matching names in the loaded theme and the one in which the map was created will not work in this specific case--and probably not in the case of most mods for the game.
The game suffered an exception and the error pertained to the application being "unable to read" a "resourceld" at line 174 in components.txt.
Going to line 174 in:
H:\\Steam\steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\Customization\RetreatUE Bacon\components.txt
11, Bombard - Nuclear Devastator, 11, 4, Torpedo_Large.wav, . . .
If memory serves, "Nuclear Devastator" missiles are a vanilla component? So the mismatch in what the application expected based on the map/scenario file and what it found in the theme itself is either a result of changes to the parameters for that component, else a difference in the exact permutation of lines in that file starting at that point.
This suggests to me that: getting the Galactic maps to work with the theme will involve some rectification of such mismatches, and that would require an overall level of understanding of how the data files are structured that far exceeds mine! I would imagine there are scores, hundreds or perhaps a thousand or more such mismatches in the data files, so that path seems pretty bleak . . .
So, I think I'll have a look at simply "redoing" the map by loading it as a custom scenario, wiping out all the aliens/pirates/etc., and then rebuilding it from "scratch" (i.e., using only the solar systems). If I succeed in that, I'll post it.