Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Questions about messages and message styles

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Questions about messages and message styles Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Questions about messages and message styles - 6/20/2014 1:59:03 PM   
Mgellis

Asking the hive mind for advice...

I always assume there are two "characters" in my scenarios:

* The player is in the position of the task force commander (who often has superiors to whom he must answer)

* The person actually giving the player messages is one of his bridge officers, possibly his executive officer

So I'm curious about the things such a bridge officer would say to his commanding officer and how he would say it.

I've been assuming he would relay messages from headquarters, or people calling for help, let the commanding officer know when weather reports come in, etc. That seemed pretty obvious.

Are there other things he would generally let the commanding officer know about? These should be things that would be worth putting in a Message event for.

Also, how would an executive officer go about letting a commanding officer know something has gone wrong, or that the commanding officer may have made a mistake? Or when someone just killed a whale by accident. Carefully, I know. :) Any suggestions, etc.?

Finally, could an executive officer get away with smart ass remarks--not when the commander makes a mistake, of course, but when things just aren't going well. Things like, "Oh, yes, just another day in paradise" when the weather turns hideous. That sort of thing.

Thanks for the help. I look forward to your replies, suggestions, etc.
Post #: 1
RE: Questions about messages and message styles - 7/5/2020 4:23:43 PM   
Parel803

Realizing this is an older post. But I hope it's oke to drop my question here.
I made an event that changes the weather.
Now I wanna make an action, message stating that change.
Is it possible to get the right text of the weather in the message? Without typing the text from the bottom of my screen. Sort of an import in the message.
Haven't found my answer in another post but if it's out there please let me know.
Hope this makes sense, with regards

(in reply to Mgellis)
Post #: 2
RE: Questions about messages and message styles - 7/5/2020 4:44:31 PM   
Randomizer

If I understand correctly...

What I did for Vikrant Goes to War was to add a message to inform the Player that an updated weather report has been received. Create a text action in the event editor and associate that action with the weather-change trigger. This draws the Player's attention to the weather info in the cursor information block of text. If you use a predetermined weather change you can include the new data as a METREP or something similar but since I used random weather triggering at random times, this was not an option.

Presumably some Lua genius could script an action that would provide the weather change in a standardized text format but that is light-years beyond my meagre scripting skills.

-C

(in reply to Parel803)
Post #: 3
RE: Questions about messages and message styles - 7/6/2020 12:45:47 PM   
KnightHawk75

quote:

Is it possible to get the right text of the weather in the message?

Yes.
The information can be grabbed by
ScenEdit_GetWeather(), then you generate your special message text using it along with ScenEdit_SpecialMessage()

sample:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4498721&mpage=1&key=getweather�

< Message edited by KnightHawk75 -- 7/6/2020 12:48:57 PM >

(in reply to Randomizer)
Post #: 4
RE: Questions about messages and message styles - 7/6/2020 1:06:24 PM   
Kushan04

Another way to do it is to do what Apache did in the Remaster scenarios in CMO. Assign a variable to each of the different weather options, then use that variable to both set the weather and infill the required sections of a met report update message to the player.

(in reply to KnightHawk75)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Questions about messages and message styles Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI