- Since you don't have repair components yet, i suppose this is early game. If ikkuro are in the game, it's worth trying to steal their fast repair bot special tech. Equip them on your frigates, it will greatly help for repair management.
- the hyperdeny component is the most useful component to fight against pirates since they flee all the time once outnumbered. By preventing their retreat, you can annihilate their raids ships, so their attack frequency will drop.
- start building a network of monitoring stations/explorer ships equipped with long range scanners. It will help you discover their bases locations. The monitoring stations will probably be attacked, so at first, explorer ships maybe better (remember the long range scanners will only work if the ship stay still).
- deal with pirates clan one by one, destroy bases that are as close as 2 sectors from your empire, you can leave the rest for later. Once a pirate clan has been chased away from your systems, it will probably leave you alone to attack another empire.
- pirate constructions ships are your main targets, if you find one, destroy it asap, it will prevent pirates to rebuild lost bases.
- i don't bother much with it, but try to use assault pods on your ships: once in a while, you'll capture a pirate ship you can include in your fleet or retire for technology. I read that assault pods on mines work quite well for this too.
- if you have trouble building starports because of pirates attacks, try building smaller defense bases first, then the starport.
- i don't really know how much pirates ships you face when raided, but i usually go with only 5-ships defense fleet and 32-ships attack fleet (or the largest i can afford if 32 is too much). Bigger fleets are better in almost all cases.