Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Protectorates and subjugated races

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Protectorates and subjugated races Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Protectorates and subjugated races - 6/12/2014 12:49:18 AM   
arisian

So, I'm new here; maybe someone who's more experienced can explain to me how the diplomacy system deals with protectorates and subjugated races.

I had a much weaker race come to me and ask to be a protectorate; I said yes, and agreed to protect them. A bit later, another race attacked them, which pulled me into a war. Since this other race was *also* weak compared to me, I asked them to surrender and become subjugated, which they did. To my surprise, this didn't end the war between these two races, but I was able to get them to make peace by threatening to go to war with the race I'd just subjugated. A while later, the first race (the protectorate) declared war on the second (the subjugated ones).

First problem: why did an empire much weaker attack my protectorate?

Second problem: why didn't making them my subjects end the war with my protectorate?

Third problem: why am I able to threaten to declare war on a race that just gave me unconditional surrender? (or rather, why do I *have* to threaten war; isn't the point of unconditional surrender that I don't need to make further threats to get them to do what I want?)

Fourth problem: why does my protectorate think it's okay to attack my subjugated race?
Post #: 1
RE: Protectorates and subjugated races - 6/12/2014 9:08:51 AM   
fenrislokison

first problem: i don't know, a empire should include the power of the protecting empire when considering attacking a protectorate.

second problem: as far as i know, a subjugated empire isn't a vassal, it's still independent except it must provide you with 10% of its income and show you all of its operational maps.
By making peace, even if it's a victory, you're just making a separate peace, you're not deciding for your protectorate.

third problem: same as the second, your subjugated empire is still independent and doesn't have to obey everything you say. Think of subjugation as forcing the loser to pay war reparations and not changing it in some kind of puppet empire.

4th problem: as both protectorate and subjugated empires are independent from you, they can declare war on each other.

Generally speaking, diplomacy and war resolutions are a bit simplistic in DW, but well... not really more than in a lot of 4x games.

< Message edited by fenrislokison -- 6/12/2014 10:10:06 AM >

(in reply to arisian)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Protectorates and subjugated races Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI