While it is good that you have managed to at least get some form of workaround, it is tragic that it is simply a band aid to what sounds like a major problem. The more I look over the modding forums the more issues I can see with just how bad DW is at being modded. I can understand that perhaps the original game simply wasn't built with modding in mind and just doesn't allow for it. But to put out grand statements of how open the DWU expansion is and then actually put out a product the contradicts that statement can only be doing long term harm to DW.
I can only really talk with any authority about the game editor, as that's the only part of the modding facilities that I have used much, but there are many many things that could be improved in the editor. Some examples are:
1. We should be able to select a system name before creating the system, so all the planets automatically take the system name.
2. We should be able to add and remove nebulas. The lack of any ability to do this means that whenever a map is used in a new game, all the nebula positions change.
3. We should be able to select the type of main sequence star that we want. When setting up my map, I spent ages placing/deleting stars, in order to get the right colour.
4. There should be a star count. Furthermore, the game should not let you set up galaxies which won't run. If the game crashes with more than 1400 stars, then don't allow more than 1400 to be added. If the total number of objects matters (somewhere the game info says 'up to 50,000'), there should be an 'object' count too.
5. It should be possible to start with a blank canvas containing no empires. It is annoying to have to create a 100 star galaxy, then delete them all. It's also annoying that you have to leave the player empire on the map. When you load my map in a scenario it tells you that it is a 100 star galaxy (even though it's got 1370 stars), because I started off with a 100 star galaxy, to make it quicker to delete all the unwanted stars.
6. It should be possible to cut and paste star systems and planets.
7. The lack of ability to tab between the fields in the editor is a pain.
8. I don't want the fledgling human empire to have any aculon. Wtf is aculon? We should be able to set the starting resources of the empires.
9. We should be able to change set up options like difficulty, colonisation range, etc. from within the editor. It's silly that when you're setting up a scenario you're stuck with your initial choices, and can't change them without redoing the whole scenario.
10. You should be able to load maps into themes other than the one you created it in. Although it is possible to do this, you have check the box for regenerating resources.
11. It should be possible to set at least the starting position of your own empire and preferably that of other empires (without having to create a specific scenario).
12. There should be a more refined sector grid to make it easier to place star systems in the right place. I had to put a transparent overlay on my monitor to do this.
13. The supernova bug still needs fixing.
14. When placing star systems, it's fine that planets/moons are added, but asteroids shouldn't be added automatically, as it takes ages to edit them out.
These are just the things that immediately came to mind.
< Message edited by Osito -- 7/11/2014 3:39:59 PM >