Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scenario Ideas

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Scenario Ideas Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scenario Ideas - 6/5/2014 12:09:21 AM   
ChrisMaiorana

Any thoughts on what scenario you'd like to see developed? I will try to work up a custom map and scenario if there is a consensus around something?
Post #: 1
RE: Scenario Ideas - 6/5/2014 12:40:41 PM   
ulisin

desert scenarios!
Zidi bou zid
Kasserine pass

Gazala?

ANZIO, german counterattack
Salerno, german counterattack

... Cassino, 1^ and "^ battle

Sicily

(in reply to ChrisMaiorana)
Post #: 2
RE: Scenario Ideas - 6/5/2014 1:15:19 PM   
Phoenix100

That latest Stalingrad map looks excellent, Cap. I'm with Ulisin for Desert Scenarios, but I also like to play battles on great, detailed maps, and the desert tends to be a bit ....well...blank, 'desert-like'. But, whatever you choose I would love it to be something for which you have available detailed historical sources for the map and OOB. How about Prochorowka? There are many books detailing parts of it, I think. Big, decisive battle that was more or less evenly balanced.
Which of your many excellent scenarios would you say has the most detailed, historically accurate map, by the way?

< Message edited by phoenix -- 6/5/2014 2:17:45 PM >

(in reply to ulisin)
Post #: 3
RE: Scenario Ideas - 6/5/2014 2:02:28 PM   
jimcarravall

quote:

ORIGINAL: CapHillrat

Any thoughts on what scenario you'd like to see developed? I will try to work up a custom map and scenario if there is a consensus around something?

How about the Nazi invasion of Norway?

It's the earliest West Front seaborne campaign I can recall and it lies outside the "usual" WWII campaign explorations.

Take care,

jim

Post #: 4
RE: Scenario Ideas - 6/5/2014 5:41:45 PM   
ubiquitous

Not so much a scenario idea, but I think it would be great to have a sequence of scenarios in a kind of mini campaign that together tell the story of some part of the war.

A Dunkirk scenario in which allied forces have to occupy some objectives for as long as they can in the face of overwhelming odds before retreating to an exit point on the coast might offer a bit of interesting variety. Planning a managed retreat seems like it would be as interesting and challenging as running a full on attack/defence.

The invasion of Poland seems to be another neglected episode. In general, working on early war scenarios would have the side-effect that we might end up with an estab that properly depicts early war units.

Like jim I had contemplated doing something in Norway. I found some great old maps of Trondheim. The one attached predates WW2 but is gorgeous. A quick Google image search reveals others that appear to have WW2 era military markings.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ubiquitous -- 6/5/2014 6:44:17 PM >

(in reply to jimcarravall)
Post #: 5
RE: Scenario Ideas - 6/5/2014 6:52:50 PM   
ChrisMaiorana

Hi Phoenix. Riga, Taganrog, Perekop, Rostov are all traces of Soviet Army maps.

For my smaller platoon scenarios Kekava, Komarovka are traces of a Google map. Both are in areas that have changed very little since the war.

My western front maps for Moselle and Champs are hand drawn, as is the Piercing the Gothic Line map (the name escapes me). For my MG scenario Fight for Best I edited an existing map adding some detail not included in Panther map and for the Lion Route I just cropped an existing map.

Thanks all for your suggestions. I will start to do some research and see which one will work. I like the desert ideas but I worry I might overlap with something in the upcoming Med pack. I believe they've mentioned some North Africa scenarios is that correct?

Ubiquitous, I haven't played all of the Greek pack scenarios, but "A Clean Break" is one scenario that covers a fighting withdrawal by some Australian units I believe. I like it a lot and might look into your Dunkirk idea or some other fighting retreat.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 6
RE: Scenario Ideas - 6/5/2014 9:16:19 PM   
dazkaz15

There are some excellent suggestions above
I don't have time to play any new content at the moment, but really admire the effort you put into your scenarios Cap.

One day I will have the time though, so something for me to look forward to

Post #: 7
RE: Scenario Ideas - 6/6/2014 2:23:59 AM   
simovitch

Wait for the updated estabs for Greece and North Africa. We made a few changes that may not be compatible with 3rd party scenarios made with the current Greek estabs. Owners of the Greek pack will be able to patch up to the new estabs.

Why not a quick 1-2 day historical Normandy airborne drop scenario? I would like to see how that plays out.

simovitch

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 8
RE: Scenario Ideas - 6/6/2014 10:36:55 AM   
ulisin

desert scenarios: panther can answer you.

With COTA there are POE scenarios
- sidi rezegh (op crusader)
- bir el gobi (op crusader)

- Mersa el Brega (rommel arrives in africa)
- operation brevity / battleaxe
- gabr saleh
- Beda fomm
(I hope we will have them in med pack)

But Kasserine or Zid bou zid could be very funny! An army at dawn!

Norway scenarios are depicted in COTA, too

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 9
RE: Scenario Ideas - 6/6/2014 11:48:56 AM   
simovitch

quote:

ORIGINAL: ulisin

These were not POE/Ivanmoe scenarios, these were original COTA dev team scenarios that came with a COTA patch. They have been slightly re-worked for the newer BFTB engine and will be in the Med Pack.
quote:

- gabr saleh
- Beda fomm

These are POE/Ivanmoe scenarios that have been significantly re-worked and playtested for the Med Pack.

simovitch

(in reply to ulisin)
Post #: 10
RE: Scenario Ideas - 6/6/2014 12:35:58 PM   
ChrisMaiorana

Simovitch so it sounds like the desert is well covered. Or is there one battle (or a slice of a battle) you wish someone would work on there? with ubi doing the d-day landings it is looking like Sicily or Italy would be new ground (ive done one gothic line scenario)

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 11
RE: Scenario Ideas - 6/6/2014 2:17:13 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: simovitch

quote:

These were not POE/Ivanmoe scenarios, these were original COTA dev team scenarios that came with a COTA patch. They have been slightly re-worked for the newer BFTB engine and will be in the Med Pack.
quote:

- gabr saleh
- Beda fomm

These are POE/Ivanmoe scenarios that have been significantly re-worked and playtested for the Med Pack.

Hey sim, speaking of COTA, I haven't yet picked up the Command Ops version, but the description and scenario list on the Matrix sales page doesn't list my old favorite scenario (Malta) as being included in the new version.

Is it there and just not listed, or was it dropped when the old COTA was ported over to Command Ops?

Hans

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 12
RE: Scenario Ideas - 6/6/2014 4:24:18 PM   
ubiquitous

quote:

Simovitch so it sounds like the desert is well covered. Or is there one battle (or a slice of a battle) you wish someone would work on there? with ubi doing the d-day landings it is looking like Sicily or Italy would be new ground (ive done one gothic line scenario)

Don't feel like I am monopolising D-Day! It strikes me that with landings on five beaches and a whole lot of action taking place in Normandy over the following few weeks there is the potential to have a pretty cool multi-scenario campaign set during this period. I see we already have Utah beach, Omaha beach, St Lo, Operation Epsom, and maybe other pieces in place. There might be some merit in trying to string everything together.

Actually, looking at a map, I see that it would be possible to fit a sizable chunk of the Normandy campaign onto an area covered by two CO:BftB maps. Given two such maps, one could crop out the areas needed for given campaign scenarios...

In the manual it says that the max map size is 2000km^2. Does anyone know if there are further restrictions--e.g. can one make a 100kmx20km map or does the engine not like very wide maps? A map of those kind of dimensions would actually fit all of the Normandy beaches.

Post #: 13
RE: Scenario Ideas - 6/6/2014 4:30:00 PM   
ChrisMaiorana

50x50km is restriction i think

(in reply to ubiquitous)
Post #: 14
RE: Scenario Ideas - 6/6/2014 9:02:37 PM   
Phoenix100

Hans, Malta is coming in the med pack

Thanks Caphill for all the map info - much appreciated. And thanks again for your work, especially with the EF scenarios. They're all great, I think. I've played through Taganrog several times now, as Axis, never getting anywhere near a win.

Now that it's suggested, I too would love to see Normandy scenarios. How about 'closing the pocket' dealing with the end of the battle of Normandy in August 44 when the Poles and Canadians nipped the neck at Falaise?

Post #: 15
RE: Scenario Ideas - 6/6/2014 9:39:45 PM   
Fred Sanford

Once the Med pack comes out, I'd like to see later desert battles. Gazala would be a good one IMO. Most of that battle took place west of the Crusader operation, but still could use some of the current Med Pack maps.

One huge hole in the engine that would impact desert scenarios is the absence of mines. As a work-around, say an impassable (or very slow movement) "Minefield" terrain type that could represent the huge fields laid was used. If a cleared lane is needed to simulate a minefield forcing operation, the map could have "blown" bridge crossings going across the minefield at various potential locations. An engineer unit could come up, and "clear and mark" the lane by pretending the "build bridge" command is actually ordering the clearing operation, and the 'bridge' in the engineer unit represents mineclearing equipment. Once the bridge is built/lane cleared, other units may cross the minefield via the "cleared lane".

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 16
RE: Scenario Ideas - 6/7/2014 3:47:56 AM   
simovitch

quote:

We have most of April-November 1941 covered, except for the battles around Tobruk. Operation Compass could use more coverage prior to Beda Fomm.

There will be 3 seperate Malta scenarios in the Med Pack. Also the German invasion of Leros, and of course all the Crete scenarios.

< Message edited by simovitch -- 6/7/2014 4:49:42 AM >

simovitch

Post #: 17
RE: Scenario Ideas - 6/7/2014 2:12:54 PM   
Werewolf13

Darn - all these great ideas! I'm almost embarassed to suggest Operation Cobra - the Normandy invasion breakout plan. Seems ripe for some what if scenarios as well as being small enough I believe to easily fill a campaign.

Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 18
RE: Scenario Ideas - 6/7/2014 3:15:10 PM   
ubiquitous

I have started working on a Dieppe map. I have some very detailed topo maps to work with, so I am hoping that I can make an extremely detail map of this area. It's still early days...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ubiquitous -- 6/7/2014 4:15:51 PM >

(in reply to Werewolf13)
Post #: 19
RE: Scenario Ideas - 6/7/2014 7:46:52 PM   
jimcarravall

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: simovitch

quote:

quote:

- gabr saleh
- Beda fomm

Hey sim, speaking of COTA, I haven't yet picked up the Command Ops version, but the description and scenario list on the Matrix sales page doesn't list my old favorite scenario (Malta) as being included in the new version.

Is it there and just not listed, or was it dropped when the old COTA was ported over to Command Ops?

The old COTA scenarios were split into two, Battles for Greece (originally known as Greek Pack) and Med Pack.

Malta is covered in the Med Pack.

Take care,

jim

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 20
RE: Scenario Ideas - 6/7/2014 11:50:04 PM   
Deathtreader

quote:

Hi,

1944 - Debrecan or Korsun (or portions thereof)

1943 -- Demyansk or Kanev or Kiev (or portions thereof)

1942 -- something from the Axis offensive into the Caucasus

1941 -- Sevastopol (or part thereof)

Just some ideas

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

Post #: 21
RE: Scenario Ideas - 6/8/2014 1:21:14 AM   
ChrisMaiorana

Hi Rob. I actually have a 50x50km map of Sevastopol that is about 50% complete. Will think about that one for EFCO. Still looking for a Western Front scenario to do also. Will look at Cobra and some of the other names mentioned here.

(in reply to Deathtreader)
Post #: 22
RE: Scenario Ideas - 6/19/2014 4:40:39 PM   
ChrisMaiorana

Hi guys. I am still considering a Western Front scenario. Any other ideas? I've done some research and was looking at the Scheldt but I haven't decided yet. Plus I saw that someone has already done something along these lines.

For the EF I have resumed working my Sevastopol map.

Post #: 23
RE: Scenario Ideas - 6/19/2014 5:41:18 PM   
Phoenix100

The Woensdrecht scenario is superb, Cap, on a great map. Try playing it, if you haven't already (that's the Scheldt scenario you meant, I guess.)

Post #: 24
RE: Scenario Ideas - 6/19/2014 6:16:19 PM   
ChrisMaiorana

Hi Phoenix. Yes that is it. I couldn't remember the name. I opened the map last night and was very impressed. Ton of detail and big. I plan on trying the scenario this weekend.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 25
RE: Scenario Ideas - 6/20/2014 8:11:25 PM   
ChrisMaiorana

Hi guys. I have been looking at the fighting by the US and Patton in an around El Guettar against 10th Panzer and the Italian forces. Any thoughts about this?

Post #: 26
RE: Scenario Ideas - 6/20/2014 10:23:18 PM   
Deathtreader

quote:

Hi guys. I have been looking at the fighting by the US and Patton in an around El Guettar against 10th Panzer and the Italian forces. Any thoughts about this?

Hi,

Would make for an interesting change from France 1944 and the eastern front.......

2 thumbs up!

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

Post #: 27
RE: Scenario Ideas - 6/21/2014 10:35:34 AM   
dazkaz15

quote:

Sounds good mate

Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Scenario Ideas Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI