Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

DW: Universe - Music not playing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Tech Support >> DW: Universe - Music not playing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DW: Universe - Music not playing - 5/28/2014 9:36:46 PM   
martok

So, yeah. I downloaded & installed the game. It fired right up, no problems, and the music played just fine during the intro. However, the music stops while loading up my game; it doesn't matter if I'm starting a new game or (re)loading an existing one. I've tried restarting the game several times, but no luck. (Note: Sound effects work just fine.)

Please help me bring the music back! I generally like DW's soundtrack, and it's just too eerie to play a game with nothing in the background!

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Post #: 1
RE: DW: Universe - Music not playing - 5/28/2014 11:09:54 PM   
tjhkkr

So the music stops even before you start to play the game?

I know that there are occasions when game events occur, under the right conditions... the music does not so much stop as pause.
For example: if you go into one of those zones that has a tractor beam, the music stops as the sound effects play... and it takes a little manipulation to start the music again. That has been a constant -- and a tad annoying -- issue...

But you are saying the music stops before you start the game...

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to martok)
Post #: 2
RE: DW: Universe - Music not playing - 5/29/2014 11:34:58 AM   
martok

Okay, so check this out...

I have my hard drive partitioned into two halves: I have XP installed on one half, and Win7 on the other. The copy of DW: Universe that I have installed on the XP half of my hard drive is the one where the music refuses to play. With the copy of DW: Universe installed on the Win7 half of my hard drive, however, the music plays just fine. Any idea as to why this is?

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 3
RE: DW: Universe - Music not playing - 6/10/2014 10:33:46 AM   
martok

Bump. Any further word/updates on this? I know of at least two other people now who can't get the music to play, and they too have the game installed on machines with XP as the OS.

Also, to clarify: The music stops as soon as the intro movie is done playing. Once we get to the main menu, the game goes silent (although as before, the *sound effects* ares still working - just not the soundtrack).

(in reply to martok)
Post #: 4
RE: DW: Universe - Music not playing - 6/12/2014 8:24:53 AM   
elliotg

Hi martok

There is a long-standing bug with earlier versions of WMP on Windows XP where tracks will only be played once:
http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/374363/system-windows-media-mediaplayer-only-plays-sounds-once-in-windows-xp

If you have an older version of WMP you could try updating it to a more recent version.

Thanks
Elliot

(in reply to martok)
Post #: 5
RE: DW: Universe - Music not playing - 6/21/2014 8:41:47 PM   
martok

Ah, I hadn't heard that before.

Well I just upgraded to WMP 11, and that seems to have done the trick. Thanks Elliot!

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Tech Support >> DW: Universe - Music not playing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI