Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Real time pausable

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Real time pausable Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Real time pausable - 5/27/2014 3:30:18 AM   
Twotribes

So what is the time compression? For example in Hearts of Iron you can adjust the compression to slow or very fast. I do not really like real time games but if the time compression is slow enough it is not bad.
Post #: 1
RE: Real time pausable - 5/27/2014 3:43:17 AM   
Retreat1970

x.25, x.5, x1, x2, x4. Can pause at any time. x.25 is brutally slow.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 2
RE: Real time pausable - 5/27/2014 4:11:11 AM   
tjhkkr

Yes that is correct.

Sadly for years, I thought it was REAL TIME PLAUSIBLE... not pausable... that is when I knew I needed glasses.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Retreat1970)
Post #: 3
RE: Real time pausable - 5/27/2014 9:31:47 AM   
towerbooks3192

I think normal and x2 are not too fast and I use them when I want to see a battle or try to control it. 4x is a bit faster at times but if you play shadows and more expensive research then you are going to wish for something higher than a x4. Never used any speed lower than one though but I might use it once the galaxy is very crowded.

et ignobiles oblivio

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 4
RE: Real time pausable - 5/27/2014 9:45:13 AM   
Bingeling

In early game, when little is happening, I too use 4X and wish for a faster speed. I live at 2X and pause when needed, and I may rarely use 1X when things are really hectic. But I have a feeling of "how fast ships are", and that is tied to running the game at 2X.

When I play I really don't like to lose colonies, and I don't mind to micro manage combat if there is a benefit. Like, enemies attack my colony. The real threats to the colony are the troop transports. So on an incoming attack (that I am warned about), I make sure some defenders are waiting. Once ships arrive, I target groups of ships on troop transports manually, and let the rest of the battle "do its thing".

The catch is. If they attack 3-4 colonies at once, something has to give .

I don't play a lot of games, and I have not met that kind of attacks a lot of times.

(in reply to towerbooks3192)
Post #: 5
RE: Real time pausable - 5/27/2014 11:25:27 AM   
Cauldyth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes
I do not really like real time games but if the time compression is slow enough it is not bad.

I loathe real time games, but love DW, so I think you'll like it. Tom Chick once described the pace of the game as "stately" which I think sums it up nicely. If you've played any of the Paradox games, think of it like those. I spend a lot of time paused, then unpause it to watch it play out for a bit, then re-pause, etc.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 6
RE: Real time pausable - 5/27/2014 1:15:46 PM   
Spidey

I probably spend more time in pause than in any other setting. Going through ships, making sure everything is as it should be, checking out the explorers, pondering if now is the time to up the tax rates and invade that homeworld, and so on, and so forth. Some people can do that in real time. I can't. So I hit pause and think things over. And it really makes the game a lot less hectic that you actually more or less can be everywhere at once.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 7
RE: Real time pausable - 5/27/2014 2:08:38 PM   
Cauldyth

Yeah, I often spend 10 minutes or more paused as I poke around, see what's going on, and think about what I might want to do next. I prefer to think of it as "continuous time" rather than "real time" because the latter term has been contaminated by RTS games.

(in reply to Spidey)
Post #: 8
RE: Real time pausable - 5/27/2014 3:33:44 PM   
Spidey

Continuous time is a great term for it, Cauldyth. Fits the game perfectly.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Real time pausable Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI