DW:U takes the game editor much further than ever before, and I'm very happy about that, but I feel there is still room for improvement. I spent quite a lot of time using the editor over the last year, and have been playing with the new editor in DW:U.
I realise that the developer emphasis at the moment will be on fixing bugs, but I would be grateful if you guys at Matrix would look into adding in some (or preferably all) of my suggestions below:
1. It would be nice to have a "Remove all stars" button. Given that the smallest galaxy size is 100 stars, it's time consuming to delete them all one by one when you want to create a blank starting map. I realise I could do this once, then save the blank map for future use, but the nebulas will be in the same position each time. If you would implement my request 5 below, I would withdraw this request :-)
2. Can we have the ability to name the star before inserting it into the map, so that the planets can take the name we've given to it? This would avoid the problem of having to rename every single planet when changing the star name set by the game.
3. Include a more refined grid for star placement, e.g. divide each sector into a 10x10 (or even 20x20) subsector grid.
4. At the moment, to get the right star colour (particularly on main sequence stars) I have to insert the star, then delete it if I don't get the colour I want. I'd like the ability to select a particular colour of star. Note that I'm not asking for the ability to mod the star images, but for you to add a star image selector box in the same way there is a planet image selector.
5. I guess there is a good reason we can't edit nebulas, but it would be nice to have an option to create a game which doesn't contain nebulas. It also be nice to be able to create a game which doesn't add the background names to certain areas of space, such as nebulas. This would help us to create maps the way we want them.
6. It would be nice to be able to set your own race to start on a specific star. For example, if I were to create a starmap based on the milky way galaxy, I can't guarantee that the humans will start on Sol, unless I fix their position along with the position of all other races. It would be nice to be able to fix the position of your own race while allowing the others to be randomised.
Thanks for reading.