Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tips, Tricks and things you might miss in DW:U

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Design and Modding >> Tips, Tricks and things you might miss in DW:U Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tips, Tricks and things you might miss in DW:U - 5/24/2014 5:42:38 PM   
Shark7

OK, this thread is for anybody to post into, and maybe we can get Matrix to pin it (HINT HINT).

Now we all know that while DW:U is pretty straight forward on the modding issues, there are always things you can miss or do better. So why not share the things we discover in a single repository (after all, even a 4 year player like me is constantly discovering new things).

Anyway, here is a little tip on something I discovered just this morning:

ColonyPopulationPolicyGrowthFactorExterminate ;1.0

This little setting found near the end of the Race.txt file has an interesting little effect. It allows you to increase the population growth of the specific race of the file if you set a policy of exterminating other races. Range from 0.2 to 5.0 (meaning 20% of normal growth to 500% of normal growth).

So if we want to set up a race of intergalactic carnivores that consider the other races as nothing but food, we can do it, and give them a nice big population growth bonus in the process.

Feel free to add to this guys.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Post #: 1
RE: Tips, Tricks and things you might miss in DW:U - 5/24/2014 6:07:34 PM   
Darkspire

Not modding but a couple of useful tips

Assign Lorros, Zenebattia and Korriban spice when you find them to the number keys, the moment that the window pops up to say that a special resource has been found, pause the game, go to the location, click on the planet to select it and assign that planet a hotkey with CTRL+ a top row number, I use 0,9 and 8. This means that even if the planet is colonized and disappears on the resource sort on the expansion planner or the galactic map you can still find them and make plans to get them into your empire.

If like me you really dislike the haphazard way bases are strewn around a colony, starbase, research station, defense base etc, then select the colony, pause the game and move the mouse pointer where you want your new base, now press the right hand button and select the build at option, where ever the mouse was when you selected it will be where the new base is placed, much easier for building defenses in a logical manner.

Darkspire

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 2
RE: Tips, Tricks and things you might miss in DW:U - 5/24/2014 10:07:06 PM   
Fenrisfil

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

OK, this thread is for anybody to post into, and maybe we can get Matrix to pin it (HINT HINT).

Now we all know that while DW:U is pretty straight forward on the modding issues, there are always things you can miss or do better. So why not share the things we discover in a single repository (after all, even a 4 year player like me is constantly discovering new things).

Anyway, here is a little tip on something I discovered just this morning:

ColonyPopulationPolicyGrowthFactorExterminate ;1.0

This little setting found near the end of the Race.txt file has an interesting little effect. It allows you to increase the population growth of the specific race of the file if you set a policy of exterminating other races. Range from 0.2 to 5.0 (meaning 20% of normal growth to 500% of normal growth).

So if we want to set up a race of intergalactic carnivores that consider the other races as nothing but food, we can do it, and give them a nice big population growth bonus in the process.

Feel free to add to this guys.

Good idea for the thread.

I would add to the extermination growth though.

I'm sure many people are thinking that this could be used with an assimilation type race like the Borg. In my own mod I have both Borg and Cybermen so I experimented with this. To begin with I had colony policies on exterminate, but the problem with this is that they don't wait for their own race to turn up on a planet before exterminating. It works well enough with human intelligence managing it(various options there), but the AI has a harder time.

So some tips for those that want to use this setting:

1) Don't set policy to exterminate. Instead set racial events that result in changing to exterminate policy on colonies. This way the AI will switch to exterminate now and then and will often bag themselves a period of improved growth. It may be sensible to set the policy to make penal colonies instead so the victims are are moved to one place (and hopefully there will be some natives to eat them).

2) Don't set the native population growth too low so that they are forced to exterminate to grow. The AI simply won't handle that.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Design and Modding >> Tips, Tricks and things you might miss in DW:U Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI