Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Castor and the IJN vs evil (khyberbill); IronBabes closed Japanese AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Castor and the IJN vs evil (khyberbill); IronBabes closed Japanese AAR Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Castor and the IJN vs evil (khyberbill); IronBabes clos... - 5/4/2014 1:02:43 PM   
castor troy

IronBabes campaign vs my humble opponent khyberbill

Bill, this is where you might not read on until you have been entirely defeated...

The campaign has reached 7/42 already and after the early months have passed and I have got more time I thought I could start an AAR again.

< Message edited by castor troy -- 5/4/2014 2:04:37 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Castor and the IJN vs evil (khyberbill); IronBabes ... - 5/6/2014 12:59:27 PM   
castor troy

The overall strategic situation couldn't be any better for the IJ as it stands now. The game started with a Japanese attack on Manila, both land based bombers from Formosa (150+) and KB off the coast unleashed against Manila harbour. Results were only so so. Thought there wouldn't be anything afloat after the raid but there were quite some ships left, Betty/Nell and their single die roll of their 800kg bomb just doesn't yield enough hits, IJAAF bombers dropping 4x500lb bombs would do just far more damage. Main target were of course the subs there and most if not all were hit and sunk in the process or in the next days. Reason for KB not hitting Hawaii weren't the subs though but having KB where I needed it, which was the SRA and the surrounding areas. A more dangerous task than hitting Manila was following in the next days of the war, the invasion of Malaya at Mersing. I planned to land there on day three, any earlier isn't my flavour in terms of gameyness and I wouldn't do so without KB anyways. It turned out not to happen before day four of the war though as I had forgotten to set one of the amphib convoys to have an appropriate threat tolerance so the AI decided to route it actually away from Mersing instead of going to. Lol.

Bill decided to do a Sir Robin like I have never seen before. Now as an Allied player I also preferre a Sir Robin as I am not the Hitler type of guy to fight where I am no matter the cost but what the Allied did was bringing out just every squad and gun they could. EVERYWHERE! It took a time to really get a clear picture of what he was doing but he started on day one. Hence there was no reaction against my Malaya operation, most of the Allied units made it back to Singers. When I crossed the river with something like 7 or 8 divisions the town fell on the first attempt, all industry was 100% destroyed of course (didn't really care about it except about the repair yards). It turned out that Bill was using each and every transport plane and patrols to pick up units to bring them to safety. We caught some ships carrying troops too that were trying to get out of the SRA. IIRC we sank a convoy that carried a rgt of an Indian Div that was located at Singapore, evacuated to Java by airtransport and then he tried to ship it out.

What he couldn't evac out of the SRA was mostly concentrated in strongholds, something I always do too when playing as the Allied. But due to no real resistance anywhere I could just highly outnumber the enemy everywhere, taking one stronghold after another for nearly no loss. We landed early on on Luzon, the enemy fully retreated everywhere on the island moving back to Manila, leaving me Clark field which I happily took over. I only had some 7-800 av there in the beginning with the enemy outnumbering us at least 2:1 but there was no fighting. We just bombed Manila for months tried a deliberate attack at some point that still saw the Allied having some combat power and kept bombing from Clark field with 100+ Lillies each day (if they flew). The Allied starved and collapsed easily when we finally really attacked and took Manila easily, again for nearly no losses (see ground losses later in a post).

The situation we faced after the first couple of weeks made it clear that the Allied are not willing to fight until I would go deep and that really was a mistake IMO. I am not overly agressive, neither as Allied nor Japanese, but I usually take advantage of enemy decisions when I get a chance to do so. The Allied completely abandoned Burma, my troops just walked from base to base. That meant the Chinese were left alone very early on, not getting supplies there. What was the result? The Chinese totally collapsed when I started to attack (we even had a truth there until 2/42 to give the Chinese a chance to regroup). No Allied resistance also lead to my Army getting stronger and stronger instead of being weakened. My airforce didn't fight, it trained. My Divisions all were fully combat ready and more and more were bought out of Japan and/or Manchuko.

My initial plan was to secure the SRA, Burma, Northern Australia, PM, the Solomons and the Central Pacific to a line Wake - Kwajalein - Tarawa. Nothing really spectacular and not really that unrealistic to me as this is coming quite close to the real IJ plans. If there was a chance to do some damage I was also thinking about Ceylon for example. But the situation was like taking the SRA without any losses, so what more to do? Recon showed troop concentrations at PM and also at Darwin. PM was taken by a single division but it took longer than expected. Darwin was attacked by two divisions plus support and 18th Div plus some understrenght Australian divisions were kicked South and were shredded in the process.

Here's the strategic overview, more details about the theatres in the following posts.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 2
RE: Castor and the IJN vs evil (khyberbill); IronBabes ... - 5/6/2014 1:39:40 PM   
castor troy

Here's the situation in India, the only real active theatre left. I never planned to attack India but due to Bill not wanting to fight my Armies at all, I just had to do something. I didn't want him to get away in early 42 totally unharmed and building up to see him rolling my defensive lines in early 43 at will. The amphib bonus was still valid and several IJ assault divisions landed on Ceylon to destroy the units there. I expected a Division there but it turned out to be only several Ind bgds plus HQs and other support. All in all nothing that could really stand a chance against my attacking units and the whole island surrendered soon. Some 600 Allied av was destroyed (hurts to lose all those Commonwealth squads and devices) and we caught over 100,000 fuel and 70,000+ supplies at Colombo. Bill was so kind to resupply the island before we took it. At that point I guess we had conquered more supplies than we spent for our conquest in total already and everything was going very well.

Now my assault on Ceylon had an even better effect than I expected because later on I suddenly spotted US ground units moving around near the Northern Burmese border as well as Marine fighters and USAAF bombers operting in Southern India. I've asked Bill if US troops are now defending India and he replied that these were supposed to go to Australia but then I had to attack Ceylon. And that was the start signal for me. Our victorious troops still didn't suffer a defeat nor real losses and seeing US troops massing at the Burmese border was both risk and an opportunity. It was the risk seeing the Allied doing a US supported invasion of Burma (going from Cox Bazar - Akyab - Mandalay) in late 42 early 43 and it was the opportunity to destroy high value ground units which is something not even the US can really effort as it just takes forever to rebuild a full division if you have all the squads/devices you need.

I had several divisions preparing for Calcutta for a long time, but that was just meant to distract Allied SigInt and there wasn't really a plan to go for that area. I just had to choose which distraction could also lead to a real target and so I've thought I would rather attack Southern India than the area around Sidney. And that was the time the Allied made a mistake as several first line Divisions (Aus/US) plus support were reported to move on Cox Bazar, better say they were already there and one Aus Div was already one hex South of it. I had two Divisions at Akyab trying to fight the Australian but in jungle terrain the first attack resulted in one of my Divisions being cut down completely (200+ combat squads disabled) despite 200 IJAAF bombers bombing the enemy daily. Reminds me again that it doesn't make sense to attack ground units if they aren't in clear terrain. This was the point when I am sure that the Allied commander thought he would have stopped the Japanese and all would be fine. More Allied units were reported to move into the area around Cox Bazar and by then we had our invasion of the Calcutta area ready to go. 4 divisions were 100% prepped for Diamond Harbour (part of my distraction, you also have to plan for DH if you want to attack Calcutta) and KB supported the landing. Calcutta was a lvl 8 airfield by that time but calcutta got an achilles heel, it can be bombarded by cruisers as they can go up the river and that's what we did. This lead to Calcutta's airfield being abandoned and believe it or not, when we landed at DH there was again no enemy reaction at all. It was just woof for me... KB still hasn't regrouped it's air units and all in all we had only some 200 Zeroes there (also brought the CVE with fighters aboard). No surprise our fully prepped divisions took out DH vs an understrenght Ind div plus other small units and then we landed another 6 divisions there to move on Calcutta where reported 150,000 enemy troops were stationed. I expected to meet only second class units there, not more than 90,000 in total, some 5-600 av.

The first real setback was the moment I have ordered my units to move from DH to Calcutta as it was shown as river crossing. Wtf? I have fought for Calcutta already in other PBEMs (both as Allied and IJ) but I couldn't remember that each hexside was a river crossing. Oh damn... It took me quite a while but then I decided to go on, we had 4000av of first line units ready to cross the river and with that low value Ind Div at DH already being trashed I thought it would be easy going. Three days later we crossed the river... The enemy had nearly 1000 base av there, we suffered from the river crossing of course, more than 1000 combat squads disabled and disruption in the 80s plus high fat. That meant waiting for at least 4 days until the next attack. I had to wait for 6 days to recover disruption (3 divs couldn't participate in an attack anymore due to high disablements) and I had 4 more divs moving in for the assault. I expected to have 2 weeks from the day we landed at DH until we had to take Calcutta because by then the Allied would be able to reinforce Calcutta with the units that were around Cox Bazar. Bill didn't secure his rail line going from Chittagong to Calcutta though and we dropped two para rgts to block his movement. Still, I wouldn't have time forever to take Calcutta and at that point I really wasn't sure we could do it in time as the Allied units from Chittagong were spotted moving overland and it doesn't take that long to cross a clear terrain hex.

When we were ready for our next attack we ordered a deliberate attack and the enemy took heavy casualties while we took sustainable losses spread out over the attacking divisions. Another short pause to recover and the third attack took the base forcing over 100,000 troops to retreat. Unfortunately like in Singapore all of Calcutta's industry was 100% destroyed. At this point the Allied situation was closing in disaster though as it now was all about cutting their retreat path North. More than 50 Allied units were now spotted being in danger of getting cut off in the are NE of Calcutta as there was nothing in the area that could stop my divisions now. And this is how it looks today, we have destroyed or trashed several high value Allied units already (mostly tank bgds) but the big prize is still the troop stack trying to flee in the Patna area. That stack got a nominal base av of 4000+ and consists of several divisions plus numerous support units. We have 16 divisions operating in the area plus about 1000 av in armored units operating together as my Armored Army.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by castor troy -- 5/6/2014 2:40:38 PM >

Post #: 3
RE: Castor and the IJN vs evil (khyberbill); IronBabes ... - 5/6/2014 1:54:13 PM   
castor troy

To see what we are fighting in the Patna area, here's the combat report of last round. We first had an artillery unit coming in alone from the Eastern hex more or less suiziding. The four divisions there plus more artillery is about to follow soon. That was the first moment I really saw what we have more or less trapped (but not surrounded yet) in Southern India and it was really a WOW moment for me. The chance to destroy more than 4000 Allied av after we took out 1500+ already so far during our operation (Ceylon and operations in India).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at 55,32 (near Patna)

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 465 troops, 39 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 3020

Defending force 155502 troops, 2070 guns, 1879 vehicles, Assault Value = 4116

Japanese ground losses:
30 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 47 (37 destroyed, 10 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
45 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 3 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Assaulting units:
23rd Division
55th Division
12th Division
54th Division
14th Division
11th Division
4th Guards Division
5th Mortar Battalion

Defending units:
7th Australian Division
27th Infantry/B Division
Upper Burma BAF Battalion
13th Burma Rifles Battalion
45th Indian Brigade
5/14th Punjab Battalion
44th Indian Brigade
Rangoon BAF Battalion
9th Indian Division
2nd Assam Rifles Battalion
41st Infantry Division
27th Infantry/A Division

BFF Brigade
4th Assam Rifles Battalion
75th Indian Brigade
26th Indian Division
19th Indian Division

1st Assam Rifles Battalion
99th Indian Brigade
23rd Indian Brigade
46th Indian Brigade

I Aus Corps Engineer Battalion
70th British Division
6th Australian Division

2nd Gordons Battalion
23rd Indian Division
1st Burma Division
27th Infantry/C Division

223 Group Base Force
106th RAF Base Force
42nd Base Group
1st Peshawar Base Force
308th Base Group
116th RAF Base Force
205th Field Artillery Battalion
222 Group Base Force
224 Group Base Force
2nd Central India Base Force
1st Indian Heavy AA Regiment
107th RAF Base Force
Burma Corps
101st RAF Base Force
103rd RAF Base Force
102nd RAF Base Force
1st West Coast Base Force
24th Indian Mountain Gun Regiment
6th Medium Regiment
IV Indian Corps
2/11th Field Regiment
1st Indian Light AA Regiment
94th Coast AA Regiment
95th Heavy AA Regiment
21st Light AA Regiment
46th Construction Regiment
104th RAF Base Force
1st Bengal Base Force
110th RAF Adv Base Force

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at 55,32 (near Patna)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 114777 troops, 1539 guns, 1128 vehicles, Assault Value = 4111

Defending force 100214 troops, 827 guns, 184 vehicles, Assault Value = 3020

Allied adjusted assault: 1383

Japanese adjusted defense: 2797

Allied assault odds: 1 to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
4372 casualties reported
Squads: 8 destroyed, 404 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 59 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 20 disabled
Guns lost 46 (18 destroyed, 28 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
34435 casualties reported
Squads: 329 destroyed, 1271 disabled
Non Combat: 349 destroyed, 1069 disabled
Engineers: 278 destroyed, 137 disabled
Guns lost 408 (143 destroyed, 265 disabled)
Vehicles lost 236 (66 destroyed, 170 disabled)
Units destroyed 6

Assaulting units:
75th Indian Brigade
1st Assam Rifles Battalion
2nd Gordons Battalion
99th Indian Brigade
70th British Division
26th Indian Division
27th Infantry/A Division
2nd Assam Rifles Battalion
5/14th Punjab Battalion
BFF Brigade
23rd Indian Brigade
4th Assam Rifles Battalion
19th Indian Division
Upper Burma BAF Battalion
I Aus Corps Engineer Battalion
9th Indian Division
45th Indian Brigade
23rd Indian Division
27th Infantry/B Division
41st Infantry Division
46th Indian Brigade
44th Indian Brigade
1st Burma Division
Rangoon BAF Battalion
13th Burma Rifles Battalion
6th Australian Division
7th Australian Division
27th Infantry/C Division
1st Indian Light AA Regiment
6th Medium Regiment
2nd Central India Base Force
95th Heavy AA Regiment
107th RAF Base Force
102nd RAF Base Force
1st West Coast Base Force
205th Field Artillery Battalion
IV Indian Corps
94th Coast AA Regiment
223 Group Base Force
1st Peshawar Base Force
21st Light AA Regiment
2/11th Field Regiment
103rd RAF Base Force
106th RAF Base Force
Burma Corps
222 Group Base Force
1st Indian Heavy AA Regiment
1st Bengal Base Force
42nd Base Group
308th Base Group
224 Group Base Force
46th Construction Regiment
104th RAF Base Force
24th Indian Mountain Gun Regiment
101st RAF Base Force
116th RAF Base Force
110th RAF Adv Base Force

Defending units:
54th Division
11th Division
23rd Division
55th Division
14th Division
12th Division
4th Guards Division
5th Mortar Battalion

the troop count in total isn't 200,000 troops but still 155,000 and there are some really nice units in the stack. If we are able to finally bring this stack to a halt it will be game over for this army as there is no chance to relieve them when I think what the Allied could bring in to India to fight what I already got there. We outnumber this stack 2:1 in av and have better units. With the Allied losses so far and what is more or less trapped here I would have more than good chances to take out all of India but that is not what I am attempting to do. I wanted to take the danger away of an early Allied invasion of Burma and if I manage to even destroy that stack, then the Allied can't even think about invading Burma by very late in the war. Together with the losses the Australian already took around Darwin and PM I am also not really worried about them anymore, leaves the US as the only fighting faction on the ground so that's really great news. Don't ask me why the Allied ordered a shock attack this round, I got no clue. Like me, Bill didn't know what the enemy really got in the hex as we just moved in and there was no "intelligence" bombardment. He might have just seen the troop count of 7 units and might have thought he could overwhelm them with a shock attack. What surprises me is that the enemy still got supply, but that comes down to how the supply routine works. If you aren't completely surrounded you can be still easily supplied, even if it is a mega stack like this. The next real Allied base having supply is 400 miles away but there are railroads going South and if you don't have a unit in each and every hex on the map the supply logistic will just bypass you to get to a trapped army in a realistically completely cut off area.

Before that combat I wasn't sure if we are 100% safe defending in the hex against an assault but looking at the losses there is no chance now for the Allied to achieve something. 6 out of the 7 divisions are still fully combat ready, one was trashed, the rest took losses evenly spread. As soon as we can finally halt the enemy we can move in 7-8000 av and still have a 3000av to block any relieve attempt. 350+ bombers at Calcutta (lvl 9af) will then start bombing the stack (suizide as long as the enemy got supply so we will bomb from at least 20,000ft) and when flak runs out of supply we will start low level bombing followed by attacks of our ground units.

< Message edited by castor troy -- 5/6/2014 3:05:21 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: Castor and the IJN vs evil (khyberbill); IronBabes ... - 5/6/2014 2:16:10 PM   
jwilkerson

Impressive campaign!

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

Post #: 5
RE: Castor and the IJN vs evil (khyberbill); IronBabes ... - 5/6/2014 2:21:08 PM   
John 3rd

I have always held that Sir Robin just leads to even more impressive Japanese Victories because you are slowed whatsoever and can then begin to seriously plan to throw a long ball that you hadn't envisioned when the war started.

You look to be in fantastic shape. What is Kaigun's losses at presently?

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 6
RE: Castor and the IJN vs evil (khyberbill); IronBabes ... - 5/6/2014 2:31:46 PM   
castor troy

And here's the situation in China, a theatre that is still active but soon about to come to a complete halt. As you can see, the Chinese have been overrun. Clearly. The whole situation in China is the result of the Allied strategy of abandoning Burma faster than I could even think to move in, let alone fighting a delaying fight there. Delaying me there would mean it would also make sense to abandon many other areas to bring in troops here. But that wasn't the Allied plan and directly lead to the collapse of China. We had a truth in China until 2/42. No bombing, no fighting, just moving into friendly positions. We also have a hr on no strat bombing in China. All this and when I started my offensive in 2/42 the Chinese were already running out of supply... and that only meant Domino. When the first battle was won it was only going downwards. What you can see below is already more than we ever planned to take, all I wanted to do is to reduce the Chinese as much so I don't have to face the 30,000 av giant I usually build when playing the Allied. Now without the supply from Burma early on and later when the allied retake Burma this wouldn't be possible anyway. Unlike on the rest of the map, Bill fought in China but what can one do? Comparing the av he already has twice the av than the Japanese but that doesn't help. He got no supply, he got no airforce, he only got low value units. As to the airforce, that is also one of the points that now come back to his decision of not fighting with the rest of China's Allieds. I could use hundreds of bombers in China, bombing every Chinese units to rubble when moved out of wooden/rough terrain.

We have surrounded and destroyed hundreds of thousands Chinese troops already, this is more like the aftermath of the IJ/Chinese war and we are only in mid 42 after 5!!! months of fighting. I did NOT bring in additional units, in fact I moved out two divisions. It was just all about supply, supply that was supposed to come from Burma (by a supply routine that is supposed not to let it flow from Burma to China ). That noone misunderstands me, I am glad how it works in this case as it forces to more realistic strategic decisions than what we call Sir Robin. If you manage to move in 150,000 supplies to China (not hard, believe me I have done that often enough, up to several hundred thousand of tons) you will be able to withstand the Japanese easily if you fight outside clear terrain.

In a desperate attempt or out of frustration Bill has ordered 350,000 Chinese of two different Armies to perform shock attacks that lead to horrible Chinese losses. A big Chinese Army that is trapped East of Kweiyang has no chance to get out and will be destroyed anyway but it would have taken an effort to do so. Seeing them doing senseless and repeatadly shock attack meant 2000+ Chinese av being wrecked for nearly no IJ losses. In the North (outside of the map shown on the screenshot) we took all bases up to that oilfield (Urumchi?) and have placed some IJ bgd on the road in the mountains going North which was the second place where the enemy shock attacked recently. During that battle the Chinese chances were better as I only had 600 av, mostly second class units the enemy had something like 1800. The first attack failed but caused losses within the IJ, also causing horrendous losses within the Chinese lines. Mistake was to immediately attack again so the next two shock attacks totally wrecked the Chinese Army and my small IJ group was able to hold the line. This was the point when I asked Bill if it makes sense to order those shock attacks. He replied these units as well as China would be lost anyways so we fight.

In the last couple of days our units were moving forward on Sian and Kweiyand without enemy resistance as each and every Chinese unit is now spotted marching towards the Chungking area. Other than taking out the risk of a Chinese 30,000 av giant in mid 43 I also always had the oilfields in the North on my agenda. I will focus on these now, but by the looks of it, that area will be evacuated as well as the bases West of Kweiyang. Being abandoned, we are going to take them of course. That means the Chinese are reduced to Chungking and the surrounding four bases, all because they had no supply to fight and I could use more than 50% of Japanese bomber force there. As it stands now in this theatre I have no doubt I could overrun the rest of China easily but what gives? I have decided to offer Bill a truth in China without anymore fighting there, doesn't make sense to overrun all of China and move out 7000av into the Pacific which would even be possible if I couldn't take Chungking. Surrounding Chungking and putting 2500 fully prepped units there would mean the Chinese can't do anything. And as it looks now, I guess the Chinese don't even produce enough supply not to starve their Army to death.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by castor troy -- 5/6/2014 3:36:08 PM >

Post #: 7
RE: Castor and the IJN vs evil (khyberbill); IronBabes ... - 5/6/2014 2:37:53 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

Impressive campaign!

thanks! It kind of only has just started as we are only halve a year into the war.

< Message edited by castor troy -- 5/6/2014 3:37:49 PM >

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 8
RE: Castor and the IJN vs evil (khyberbill); IronBabes ... - 5/6/2014 2:43:16 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

I have always held that Sir Robin just leads to even more impressive Japanese Victories because you are slowed whatsoever and can then begin to seriously plan to throw a long ball that you hadn't envisioned when the war started.

You look to be in fantastic shape. What is Kaigun's losses at presently?

Hi John! I'm not a fan of stand and fight early on but what the Allied have tried to pull off in this campaign was really a boomerang. The Japanese are all but invincible early on and it only goes downwards. It just feels that most Allied players seem to think they are invincible which then leads to something like happening here. Have to admit that I have never experienced a Sir Robin like this. Granted KB in the SRA surely makes life hard when it comes down to hit the Japanese and none of my semi important task forces was moving into dangerous areas without heavy escort.

All aspects of the Japanese Empire are looking great. No matter if it's the Navy, the Army or my industry. More about that in following posts.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 9
RE: Castor and the IJN vs evil (khyberbill); IronBabes ... - 5/6/2014 3:08:09 PM   
castor troy

And here's the intel screen. Nothing really out of the line but the ground losses. 50:1 in favour for the Japanese in points for ground losses. This reflects how easy it has been for the Japanese divisions to roll over Allied positions and it mirrors Allied strategy. The strongholds in the SRA were overwhelmed one by one and fell in no time due having such a numerical superiority at each stronhold. Not attacking the supplied US units on Luzon of course is what made this all possible. Thinking about taking Manial early on would have required at least 8-10 divisions, halve of them would be wrecked in the process. Manila has been turned into a POW camp, the IJAAF bomber force visiting daily. The ground losses also reflect my way of attacking. Like I have mentioned I am not that overly agressive player no matter if Allied or Japanese. If I have to take unneccessary losses, I am thinking twice about doing something, usually avoiding it. Same goes for attacking with my ground units. You only get pts for destroyed squads/devices and you only get these things destroyed if you attack with units that already got lots of disablements or when on the receiving end you are forced to retreat. As we are still in the Japanese "attack phase" we are the ones to attack and if a unit takes horrible numbers of disablements I pull it out of the fight immediately. I think I had no division participating in an attack that had more than 60 disablements and that is not the norm. If possible I only unse units with less than 10% disabled combat squads.

Air losses aren't exaggerating either, when it comes down to fighter vs fighter losses we are leading 3+:1, we had some bombers shot down now and then when the escorts just failed but no less than 50% of our losses are ops that are mostly not related to combat damage. The enemy airforce did fight but not in a way it could really hurt us. Considering there are only a couple of usable Zero squadrons early on, it is surely possible to hurt the Japanese if you use your fighters where the Zeroes aren't. In this campaign, we picked off the P-40 in small numbers until there were none left I guess.

As to the victory points, I don't play for autovictory, even though in this case I also don't know how it could be avoided. If that stack in India is going to be destroyed that probably yields us several thousand pts for ground losses and I can't see the Allied doing a real counter offensive somewhere to earn a real number of points anytime soon.

More details in the following screenshots.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by castor troy -- 5/6/2014 4:11:53 PM >

Post #: 10
RE: Castor and the IJN vs evil (khyberbill); IronBabes ... - 5/6/2014 3:17:04 PM   
John 3rd

Army loss is 10,571 to your 199??!! HOLY CRAP! That is...amazing...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

Post #: 11
RE: Castor and the IJN vs evil (khyberbill); IronBabes ... - 5/6/2014 3:18:41 PM   
castor troy

Here are the Japanese ship losses, sorted by victory points. Not much to say other than I haven't really taken any losses. I had one AMC ran into an Allied carrier very early on, should have ordered that ship back to Truk right away. The rest of my shipping losses was more or less mostly during invasions vs defended invasion sites but as you can see, on no 4 of the list we already see a xAK showing up so no biggy. We have lost one or two destroyers so far, also due to mines or a mine hit and a sub scoring right after. I've lost halve a dozen DMS (that hurts too) as I was so dumb to send them to Balikpapan clearing the mines there, just to be shot up by the Dutch CD. That was like a noob mistake.

That sub that was sunk was on mine laying mission and didn't survive her first mission. No more subs lost other than two or three midgets. The rest? Nothing. No tankers, no destroyers, no cruisers, no battleships, no carriers. Not even really damaged ones IIRC.

Short list anyway with only 33 IJN ships sunk so far, 20-25 sunk due to damage during invasions but considering the hundreds of ships involved in invasions that's also a very small percentage.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by castor troy -- 5/6/2014 4:22:46 PM >

Post #: 12
RE: Castor and the IJN vs evil (khyberbill); IronBabes ... - 5/6/2014 3:22:03 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Army loss is 10,571 to your 199??!! HOLY CRAP! That is...amazing...

and I hope to see that ratio shifting further in my favour if we manage to kill that Army near Patna

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 13
RE: Castor and the IJN vs evil (khyberbill); IronBabes ... - 5/6/2014 3:25:25 PM   
Miller

Do the Japs get extra stuff in this mod?

Post #: 14
RE: Castor and the IJN vs evil (khyberbill); IronBabes ... - 5/6/2014 3:29:34 PM   
castor troy

The Allied ground losses are more spectacular than Allied ship losses, clearly due to Sir Robin. There was no clash between the opposing Navies, not even close. Total losses so far 300+ ships but this is mostly the stuff that is around the SRA plus a couple of convoys I caught. The highlights were tanker convoys of halve a dozen big British tankers twice, one time with KB during the Ceylon operation, the other time it was naval search from Ceylon spotting a convoy and 2 CL 2 DD closing in to take them out. The tanker losses hurt the Allied, I would not want to lose a single tanker when playing the Allied as that's something you feel all the way through the game and I am usually using a couple HUNDRED additianal big xAKs to move fuel as the Allied all through the war. Halve of his tanker losses aren't even showing up on the sunk list but they were sunk for sure after taking horrendous damage while being fuel loaded. Also my subs had some nice success vs his TK and AO, khyberbill is mostly not using escorts for many convoys which really strikes me (even though these convoys could be seen as backwater, it seems careless to me).

In short, both Navies are fully intact.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by castor troy -- 5/6/2014 4:39:22 PM >

Post #: 15
RE: Castor and the IJN vs evil (khyberbill); IronBabes ... - 5/6/2014 3:31:31 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller

Do the Japs get extra stuff in this mod?

it's scen 2.

Not sure what I will all get but to start with there is one or two Zero daitais more I guess (IIRC I started with 4), and one or two more divs to use. As reinforcements later on there should be more tanks as I have seen units that belong to 3rd tank div which is not from stock? I have also seen a handful of Aganos (not sure what they will help me). Comparing this campaign with the stock scen 2 I did as the Japanese nothing strikes me and it doesn't really feel different so far. What is now operating in India is what you start with unrestricted plus what I have bought out of restricted theatres. And if you look at the numbers, you can imagine how my other theatres look like... But the way this campaign has gone so far I can't see a reason why it would have been different if it would have been a stock scen 1 campaign as the one or two divs would not have made a difference other than one or two secondary targets falling a little later of Manila not being taken out two months ago but sometime in summer which wouldn't matter.

< Message edited by castor troy -- 5/6/2014 4:35:49 PM >

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 16
RE: Castor and the IJN vs evil (khyberbill); IronBabes ... - 5/6/2014 3:39:30 PM   
castor troy

also took a screenshot of major Allied combat ship losses. Not sure I should call it major as we are only talking about destroyers, mostly second or third class ones. These are the biggest combatants khyberbill has lost.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 17
RE: Castor and the IJN vs evil (khyberbill); IronBabes ... - 5/6/2014 3:51:15 PM   
castor troy

and here are the air losses, not sorted by side as it shows the major losses anyway. The Sally is in the lead, reflecting the heavy use of my bomber force. If my bombers didn't have to fly vs the Western Allied because there was just no need to during a couple operations then they were flying in China. But they were flying, pretty much all the time in the last 6 months. Takes a horrible long time and effort to fit out the airfields with aviation support with the beta changes and the changes of Babes but it is doable. Level 8 airfields are more or less a must though, otherwise I could not support my airforce.

We have only lost 50 Zeroes A2A for surely more than 200 enemy fighters downed by them. The Oscar didn't do well at all due to that friging low gun value and being in escort roles most of the time. When the Hurricanes showed up, the Zero soon fell off a cliff in performance, something I haven't experienced in earlier games. But soon after more and more Hurricanes showed up we had the first Tojos airborne. Most of my airforce (non bombers) is actively training in the needed skills. Navy pool is empty due to sending back trained pilots into reserve so that pool is a mess already. Army pool looks fine.

Note the Catalina losses and the other flying boats, these were mostly lost to ops during evac missions in the SRA. As it stands now, our airforce is controlling the skies until the end of 42, then it will be a rough time until the George comes around which will shift all the fighter work to the IJNAF again. B-17 proved to be a problem already, only Nicks were able to do some harm, Zeroes fell out of the sky in one attack 1:4 and have never been employed vs B-17 again. The B-17 attacks were all flown against PM, for no apparent reason so the losses were avoidable. Bill got to have several hundred fighters, not many bombers but B-24 production just started so that changes soon. He got no place where he could offensively employ his fighters though as this was one of my strategic goals when setting up our line. Don't know about Bill's pilot training programm and how much time he invests.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by castor troy -- 5/6/2014 4:52:51 PM >

Post #: 18
RE: Castor and the IJN vs evil (khyberbill); IronBabes ... - 5/7/2014 11:22:40 AM   
GreyJoy

Impressive Castor

Post #: 19
RE: Castor and the IJN vs evil (khyberbill); IronBabes ... - 5/7/2014 12:34:38 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

Impressive Castor

thanks. We are long not done yet, this is just the start and as we all know, the point when the Allied win the war is always there to come. The game is on halt at the moment as khyber is out of action but I am sure he will get well soon again.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 20
RE: Castor and the IJN vs evil (khyberbill); IronBabes ... - 5/7/2014 12:37:26 PM   
Lowpe

Wow, that is how it is done. Great job!!

Post #: 21
RE: Castor and the IJN vs evil (khyberbill); IronBabes ... - 5/7/2014 10:32:30 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

Here's the strategic overview, more details about the theatres in the following posts.

The red outline of the Japanese Empire looks kind of like a moose head. What's really going on here?

Post #: 22
RE: Castor and the IJN vs evil (khyberbill); IronBabes ... - 5/7/2014 10:40:19 PM   
geofflambert

Like this

Attachment (1)

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 23
RE: Castor and the IJN vs evil (khyberbill); IronBabes ... - 5/8/2014 11:02:19 AM   
castor troy

lol, yeah. Unfortunately the map is too small and the Empire wouldn't be strong enough anyway to take the rest of the moose so we just stopped at the head.

Post #: 24
RE: Castor and the IJN vs evil (khyberbill); IronBabes ... - 5/8/2014 8:02:01 PM   
geofflambert

I was insinuating that Bullwinkle was somehow behind this

Post #: 25
RE: Castor and the IJN vs evil (khyberbill); IronBabes ... - 5/9/2014 11:26:17 AM   
traskott

Now, u can invade... RUSSIA !!!!!

Post #: 26
RE: Castor and the IJN vs evil (khyberbill); IronBabes ... - 5/9/2014 11:41:05 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: traskott

Now, u can invade... RUSSIA !!!!!

that would be a plan! Seriously, Russia isn't on the target list. Neither is there a lot of industry or oil (that would most like be destroyed) nor is there a need to take the Russian units out of the game with the question if it would be even possible. They activate only in mid 45 and by then the Western Allied will have surrendered. In WITP I once took the Russian areas but that is nearly 10 years ago, in AE I have never tried or even seriously planned due to above's reasons.

My Japanese strategy in the first year has always been the same. Take the SRA with an intact oil industry (which also comes down to luck or bad luck in two or three die rolls at the main oil centres) and destroy as many Allied ground units as possible for as few Japanese ground losses. I have to admit that if you look at the ground loss ratio this got to be my best ratio at this stage and if that big stack in India can be destroyed then it is the best I have ever seen in a PBEM. Doesn't mean there wasn't a better of course. Having a ratio of 4-500:7-8000 is not that uncommon in the games I've played though but the current one and the possible Allied disaster in India is really special for me.

What the Indian operation (one I never planned at the start) really did, is to secure Burma all the way far into 44 as I just can't see the Commonwealth recovering from these ground losses. As mentioned earlier, that more or less leaves the US as the only faction for ground assaults. But the US is easily enough, when playing as the Allied 80% of the assaults are carried out by US troops, Aus/Ind/Brit are only used for secondary fronts. So falling to victory desease at this stage would be totally wrong.

< Message edited by castor troy -- 5/9/2014 12:44:28 PM >

(in reply to traskott)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Castor and the IJN vs evil (khyberbill); IronBabes closed Japanese AAR Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI