Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Buff the Silvermist

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Buff the Silvermist Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Buff the Silvermist - 3/6/2014 2:35:10 PM   
Icemania

Yes Buff them!!!

Make them stronger, replicate faster, and travel more widely ... at least on higher difficulties.

Make us squirm. I'd like to see the occasional game where if left unchecked ... then the Silvermist win!

Hopefully something cooking for Universe?

Post #: 1
RE: Buff the Silvermist - 3/6/2014 2:46:47 PM   
Cauldyth

Only if we finally get the option to quarantine systems so that the AI won't send our ships there. I love Silvermist, but as soon as they're discovered I need to start babysitting all my ships to make sure they don't get themselves killed by travelling to systems which I know are infested.

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 2
RE: Buff the Silvermist - 3/7/2014 7:27:32 AM   
Canute0

New Starting race "Silvermist" !!

Once they was generated from an ancient race to terraform new planets, but these race ascend to a new level and vanish from the universe.
The Silvermist don't got a control anymore and repeat their last order, they still terraform but at their unique way, they remove all kind from civilisation they find.

On a replication process there comes an error/mutation into the code. These single Silvermist transform from a simple scripted robot into a real AI.
Now these new Silvermist can control it own destiny.

A Hive/Breeder/Control a big Silvermist who act as Starbase. Only place to create new swarms.

Harvester, who eats any kind of resources from any sources to grow up. Once they are at full size they head back to the hive and dump 50-90% of their size into the hive. Alternativ they just act as (Gas) Miner and mine and transport the resources to the hive and the hive grow with these resources.

Fighter, the start at max. size or 90%, much faster sublight speed then harvester. They regain size from eating ships, and they can maybe slowly get size when they are close to a sun.

Queen, like colony ships to create new Hives.

Research, to increase shipspeed, hyperspeed, size, firepower. and gain some new abiliys like Energy->matter to heal at Sun, Shield, and new weapons. And some ultimate reseach goals like Replicants the AI transform from a Swarm AI into a single body and basicly could create a regular empire as Race Mechanoid.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 3
RE: Buff the Silvermist - 3/7/2014 9:18:36 AM   
Deathball

For how bad the game makes them out to be I generally find them a complete non-factor. Usually they will be discovered, maybe eat the Explorer that found them, then disappear forever, never to be seen or heard from again, presumably dying to some AI empire. Buffing them would definitely make them more of the threat they are supposed to be, however I'm unsure how well the AI would be able to deal with them if they were buffed.

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 4
RE: Buff the Silvermist - 3/7/2014 12:10:56 PM   
Canute0

Oh i saw AI die by Silvermists, it depend on the tech level and race.
If the AI use ships with some fighters and evade tactic they may be able to destroy it.
Maybe some Large Spaceports with fighter and EMP too.

But all other constellations the silvermist prolly will survive, eat the colony, grow up and split.

(in reply to Deathball)
Post #: 5
RE: Buff the Silvermist - 3/7/2014 12:23:28 PM   
Cauldyth

I've definitely seen them be a threat. In many games, even after the galaxy has been completely colonized, there will be a dead region with no colonies or bases, where the Silvermist roam free. It's kind of spooky.

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 6
RE: Buff the Silvermist - 3/8/2014 1:29:24 AM   
Icemania

Agreed Cauldyth, a quarantine option would be useful. However, just like a travel advisory from a government, on occasion, some private sector fool should ignore the quarantine and pay the price ...

Those dead regions are cool but of course they are pretty easy to deal with i.e. just avoid and wait until you have enough strength and then go on a Silvermist hunt. But if the Silvermist are buffed there should be threat that those dead regions will expand more and more quickly as the game progresses to the point where we just have to go on the offensive to survive ... and if you aren't pro-active then you get swarmed.

And Deathball hopefully Universe will have some AI improvements.

< Message edited by Icemania -- 3/8/2014 2:30:48 AM >

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 7
RE: Buff the Silvermist - 3/8/2014 2:44:59 AM   
Cauldyth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icemania
Agreed Cauldyth, a quarantine option would be useful. However, just like a travel advisory from a government, on occasion, some private sector fool should ignore the quarantine and pay the price ...

Fine by me, if they wanted to be safe, they should've put weapons on their ships!

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 8
RE: Buff the Silvermist - 3/8/2014 6:34:33 PM   
ASHBERY76

You could not have Silvermist too powerful or they would ruin the A.I empires every game.I would prefer it to be a low % random event so it would be alright to wreck the odd game.

< Message edited by ASHBERY76 -- 3/8/2014 7:37:00 PM >

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 9
RE: Buff the Silvermist - 3/9/2014 7:29:45 PM   
scotten_usa

The SM were once very powerful -- probably too powerful because the AI races could not deal with it -- but the got nerfed awhile ago. I'd like to see how strong you would like them when you start the game... weak, medium, strong.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 10
RE: Buff the Silvermist - 3/10/2014 11:02:06 AM   
Icemania

Agree with the slider idea ScottenChi, much better than a random event, where at least we can make the choice.

It will be interesting to see what "deploy the Xaraktor virus" actually entails ...

(in reply to scotten_usa)
Post #: 11
RE: Buff the Silvermist - 3/11/2014 7:02:28 AM   
Canute0

Would be a nice challenge for Icemania with real strong buffed Silvermist.
Top Ten ruler of the Universe.
Place 1 to 10, Silvermist of Absorbation
:-)

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 12
RE: Buff the Silvermist - 3/11/2014 8:31:11 AM   
Jim D Burns

I would love to see Silvermist difficulty scale up as they consume more and more stuff in game. Perhaps a simple tech scale all their own that unlocks abilities as they add to it. So a single small ship consumed would only give them 1 point to their scale but a fully developed planet would add hundreds or thousands of points.

So early in the game they are restricted to their own systems, but the first tech they can unlock allows them to travel 1 parsec in space to new systems. Later techs allow travel further and further, etc. Eventually they should be able to grow (swarm never splits, just grows larger) a mother swarm that is tens of thousands of points in size and can exist in open space and travel across the map spitting out baby swarms as it passes near to inhabited systems.

Silvermist has real possibilities if some time and thought goes into expanding their role in game.

Jim

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 13
RE: Buff the Silvermist - 3/11/2014 2:22:08 PM   
Icemania

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canute

Would be a nice challenge for Icemania with real strong buffed Silvermist.
Top Ten ruler of the Universe.
Place 1 to 10, Silvermist of Absorbation
:-)

Quite right Canute I would actually like to get slaughtered in the mid to late game for a change!

And good ideas Jim D as it would help the Silvermist progressively grow in strength as the game progresses.

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 14
RE: Buff the Silvermist - 3/11/2014 3:20:25 PM   
Cauldyth

I like!

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Buff the Silvermist Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI