Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A couple of questions about 2.0

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> A couple of questions about 2.0 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A couple of questions about 2.0 - 2/20/2014 9:22:27 PM   
stransky43

I`ve been a long time player of JTCS and appreciate the work that went into providing updates to a game system that came out so many years ago - thanks guys!

I do have 3 questions about the interface that I can`t seem to find answers for in the manual. All issues were not a problem prior to the upgrade to 2.0

1) The `Damage Report` dialog box in the bottom left corner now remains on-screen until you click the `x` on it or hit enter. Prior to the upgrade it stayed on screen for several seconds and then disappeared. I can`t find where you toggle this setting.

2) The 3D Hot Spot is turned on every time I enter the game (which I don`t want). I turn it off by clicking on `Hide 3D Hot Spot` and then save the game. Then next time I start the Hot Spot is turned on again and I have to hide it. This was not an issue prior to 2.0. How do I make this setting permanent?

3) The toolbar at the bottom of the interface now has 45 small icons on it that (probably because of advancing age) I can't read. I can't find where this can be toggled back to the toolbar that I had previously which only contained half that many larger icons.

Thanks in advance for your help. I apologize in advance if these are in the manual - I truly could not find the answers :-)
Post #: 1
RE: A couple of questions about 2.0 - 2/20/2014 9:50:11 PM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: stransky43

1) The `Damage Report` dialog box in the bottom left corner now remains on-screen until you click the `x` on it or hit enter. Prior to the upgrade it stayed on screen for several seconds and then disappeared. I can`t find where you toggle this setting.

The Damage Report dialog box only goes away automatically on Low & Medium Details. At High Details -- which has been restored as a game option -- the dialog box persists until you click the 'x' control. This is to give you sufficient time to read the extra "high details". If you don't like having to click, in Options > Details, set Details to Medium or Low -- which restores the behavior of 1.04 and before.

quote:

2) The 3D Hot Spot is turned on every time I enter the game (which I don`t want). I turn it off by clicking on `Hide 3D Hot Spot` and then save the game. Then next time I start the Hot Spot is turned on again and I have to hide it. This was not an issue prior to 2.0. How do I make this setting permanent?

If this config is not saving in between game sessions, it's an oversight. We'll make note of it for future fixing.

quote:

3) The toolbar at the bottom of the interface now has 45 small icons on it that (probably because of advancing age) I can't read. I can't find where this can be toggled back to the toolbar that I had previously which only contained half that many larger icons.

No, sorry, the 45 small icons are fixed in number. But remember: For every icon, you have a menu and hot key alternative. I myself am using the icons less and less, as I find the hot keys to be much more convenient (at the cost of a bit more memorization).

quote:

Thanks in advance for your help. I apologize in advance if these are in the manual - I truly could not find the answers :-)

No, these nuances are not in the Manual, which didn't get updated in time anyway.

(in reply to stransky43)
Post #: 2
RE: A couple of questions about 2.0 - 2/20/2014 10:24:57 PM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: stransky43

Not trying to be glib here, but you have at least three more options:

• Lower your screen res to 1280x1024. This will make the icons bigger, without them auto-wrapping onto two icon bar lines.
  • Get a bigger monitor. (I did that for my wife, who has trouble seeing the small stuff. Easy for me to say, not everybody can afford a new monitor, sure.)
  • Although I have never used it, there is magnifying glass software that -- with a mouse click? -- magnifies the area under the cursor.

We hope one day to implement a third level of zoomed-in 2D. I myself would play more 2D, maybe even prefer it over 3D (for monster scenarios, and when Warhorse finishes his 2D unit icons project), with bigger hexes and a larger 2D map display. For me, it's not poor eyesight; it's more a mental thing. I just don't like playing on a smallish map in a corner of my display screen. So when I get a hankering to play 2D, I play the game on one of my systems with a lower screen res. At 1680x1050 res, 4-key 2D is not bad, not too bad at all.

(in reply to stransky43)
  • Post #: 3
    RE: A couple of questions about 2.0 - 2/21/2014 2:27:37 AM   
    scottintacoma

Berto,

It will be nice to have a 3rd larger 2d option. I noticed that with the new version, my 2d zoomed in icons shrank. :( I don't like the look of the 3d, in any size.

Thanks for all the hard work to all on the team.

(in reply to berto)
    Post #: 4
    RE: A couple of questions about 2.0 - 2/21/2014 2:34:07 AM   
    stransky43

Thanks for the quick answers! I had switched to High Details initially, so that was certainly the reason for the persistent Damage Report boxes.

Appreciate you looking into the "Hide 3D Hot Spot" issue. It reoccurs all the time for me.

And I am now getting used to the small icons. After 15+ years of using the icons it's tough to switch to the hot keys :-)

(in reply to scottintacoma)
    Post #: 5
    RE: A couple of questions about 2.0 - 2/21/2014 2:35:25 PM   
    Hexagon

I have the same problem with 2D screen resolution... in general i want play the game with a lower screen resolution but well, i am not going to change desktop resolution every time i want play the game with the problem to reposition all icons and info i have afer any change in desktop.

Do you plan a way to set a game screen resolution??? maybe in the autorun.inf write the screen resolution we have to play game or add an extra zoom level in 2D even when with this cant fix the miniicos in lower bar.

Thanks.

< Message edited by Hexagon -- 2/21/2014 3:36:18 PM >

(in reply to stransky43)
    Post #: 6
    RE: A couple of questions about 2.0 - 2/21/2014 2:44:36 PM   
    berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hexagon

... or add an extra zoom level in 2D ...

That is our future plan.

(in reply to Hexagon)
    Post #: 7
    Page:   [1]
    All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> A couple of questions about 2.0 Page: [1]
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI