Intercepting Transports

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

SqzMyLemon

Intercepting Transports

Post by SqzMyLemon »

I need to understand how to intercept transports. Does LRCAP need to be set to day or night and is there a maximum range where interception is no longer effective? An answer in game terms is asked for, not anecdotal comments that have no basis on the game mechanics. Thanks.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
EHansen

RE: Intercepting Transports

Post by EHansen »

I think that the maximum distance is 3 hexes. LRCAP during the day.
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Thank you. I think that explains why I've had no success. Too far away.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
kbfchicago

Post by kbfchicago »

Game terms.
Set your fighter squadron to long range cap over suspected enemy base being supplied by air. Best to be close to and just above transports altitude, default transport is 6000, for max effect.

If enemy attempts transport with in cap range of friendly base there is a chance you will intecept. Specific odds unknown, closer and alt alignment increase chances, just like any other distant cap intercept.

Not in front of game but do not recall transport as a night mission option. Have only used and intercepted enemy in day.

Have regularly seen and used above to include knocking down 9 transports yesterday with in hex cap (cve in hex, vading an atoll). Routinely use long range cap over enemy bases to intercept.

Do not recall an example in my pbem or ia games but assume a cap with range set could also intercept. This would be only way to intercept air resupply to a unit not on a base hex. Supply by air not in a base hex is operationally very hard on transports. So they will have a high (er) op loss rate even without intercept.

MacBook Pro / WITP-AE running in Parallels v15.x

Return to “The War Room”