Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Brit Pubs an endangered species

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Brit Pubs an endangered species Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Brit Pubs an endangered species - 2/18/2014 2:07:01 AM   
Joe D.

from NY Times:

LONDON — One by one, the pubs are disappearing in Hampstead, a jewel-box village of cobbled lanes and Georgian homes that has become one of this city’s most fashionable neighborhoods. The Nags Head has become a realty office. The King of Bohemia is now a clothing shop. The Hare & Hounds has been replaced with an apartment building.

Changing economics and shifting tastes have claimed roughly one out of every five pubs during the last two decades in Britain, and things are growing worse. Since the 2008 financial crisis, 7,000 have shut, leaving some small communities confronting unthinkable: life without a “local,” as pubs are known.

And that has spurred the government into action. New legislation is letting people petition to have a pub designated an “asset of community value,” a status that provides a degree of protection from demolition and helps community groups buy pubs themselves, rather than seeing them get snatched up by real estate developers eager to convert them for other uses or tear them down. Since the Ivy House, a beloved local in south London, became the first to receive the designation last year, roughly 300 others have followed suit ...

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
Post #: 1
RE: Brit Pubs an endangered species - 2/18/2014 1:09:19 PM   
wings7

Good to hear, they need to be saved!

Patrick

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 2
RE: Brit Pubs an endangered species - 2/18/2014 3:41:00 PM   
Kuokkanen

Answer me this: why does owners of the pubs sell them?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 3
RE: Brit Pubs an endangered species - 2/18/2014 5:18:13 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

The owners of most pubs are the breweries, most of the pubs in my town have been sold off for flats etc. The one local to me was a very lively and much used pub but the brewery wanted to make some extra cash and raised the rent on it to the point that it was no longer viable financially so that the landlord would have no option but to shut it, all so the brewery could sell the place off to a supermarket chain to open a local mini store.

Darkspire

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 4
RE: Brit Pubs an endangered species - 2/18/2014 5:47:04 PM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

They are being sold or simply closed down because they are losing money (see post 1).

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 5
RE: Brit Pubs an endangered species - 2/18/2014 6:02:47 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

They are being sold or simply closed down because they are losing money (see post 1).

It would be better if they could make money on their own rather than having some kind of support.

I suppose their trouble is because less people frequent them. Or is it taxes?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 6
RE: Brit Pubs an endangered species - 2/18/2014 6:02:53 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

from NY Times:

LONDON — One by one, the pubs are disappearing in Hampstead, a jewel-box village of cobbled lanes and Georgian homes that has become one of this city’s most fashionable neighborhoods. The Nags Head has become a realty office. The King of Bohemia is now a clothing shop. The Hare & Hounds has been replaced with an apartment building.

Changing economics and shifting tastes have claimed roughly one out of every five pubs during the last two decades in Britain, and things are growing worse. Since the 2008 financial crisis, 7,000 have shut, leaving some small communities confronting unthinkable: life without a “local,” as pubs are known.

And that has spurred the government into action. New legislation is letting people petition to have a pub designated an “asset of community value,” a status that provides a degree of protection from demolition and helps community groups buy pubs themselves, rather than seeing them get snatched up by real estate developers eager to convert them for other uses or tear them down. Since the Ivy House, a beloved local in south London, became the first to receive the designation last year, roughly 300 others have followed suit ...

Last time I was there was in November of 2012. I stayed over 3 days for meetings in AMEC's offices. I stayed in a Holiday Inn, (scruffy place). I had no problem finding pubs all round the place. Plenty of drinking and socializing with the locals.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 7
RE: Brit Pubs an endangered species - 2/18/2014 9:36:51 PM   
Mobeer

quote:

Short-termism

There is more quick money to be made by charging high wholesale prices for beer to pubs tidied to a single supplier, then when the pub goes under, sell it for redevelopment.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 8
RE: Brit Pubs an endangered species - 2/18/2014 10:21:26 PM   
Wolfe1759

If you want to try and do something about it have a look here http://www.camra.org.uk/

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Mobeer)
Post #: 9
RE: Brit Pubs an endangered species - 2/22/2014 2:41:07 AM   
rhondabrwn

Reminds me of:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_worlds_end/

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to Wolfe1759)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Brit Pubs an endangered species Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI