Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Estab database could not be opened

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Tech Support >> Estab database could not be opened Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Estab database could not be opened - 2/11/2014 8:42:04 AM   
RangerX3X

I am using the public beta update 4.6.270 (BUILD 4.6.270 - BFTB RELEASE HOTFIX PATCH #6) and can open existing scenarios however I cannot start a new scenario (with any Estab) without receiving the following error:

Post #: 1
RE: Estab database could not be opened - 2/11/2014 9:44:58 AM   
navwarcol

I am trying to duplicate this and so far cannot. Is there any chance that your estab files might have changed their name or extension somehow?

(in reply to RangerX3X)
Post #: 2
RE: Estab database could not be opened - 2/11/2014 9:50:06 AM   
navwarcol

I ask the above because I saw your profile and the PACOPS you are working on. I also am working on some various projects with using this game, and have made that mistake before in mixing up some of the files between my own and the vanilla here.
Great concept, by the way, PACOPS looks extremely interesting.

(in reply to navwarcol)
Post #: 3
RE: Estab database could not be opened - 2/11/2014 10:12:33 AM   
RangerX3X

Hi navwarcol,

The estab files appear to have changed, but not from anything I have done directly to them (other than downloading the latest patch).

They used to show as associated with the Estab Editor, now the estab files all show the default Windows icon as if they are not associated with any program.

(in reply to navwarcol)
Post #: 4
RE: Estab database could not be opened - 2/11/2014 4:58:13 PM   
navwarcol

You may want to manually go in and check that you have a"bftbestab" with a .coe extension, and one with a .xml extension. And ifyou do, you mayhave to go into windows and re-set those extension types to be opened by the game exe.
If they are not showing as "BFTBEstab.coe" and "BFTBEstab.xml" --- for instance if part of the filename was somehow changed (it happens)
then you can also just see what is wrong with the name, and rename it back.. ie. if the file somehow changed its name to "BFTBEstab.co" then it would do as you said above, would present you with a windows icon and not know how to open a ".co" file... just hit "rename" and then add the 'e' at the end. That has happened to my own before, with other programs, never with this one, but I know sometimes the little 1's and 0's do weird things.

< Message edited by navwarcol -- 2/11/2014 5:58:58 PM >

(in reply to RangerX3X)
Post #: 5
RE: Estab database could not be opened - 2/11/2014 7:34:38 PM   
Arjuna

Anyone else got this error or not?

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to navwarcol)
Post #: 6
RE: Estab database could not be opened - 2/11/2014 7:50:56 PM   
Lieste

This works in the release version for me. We never did get the debug version working though - and that was the same symptom.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 7
RE: Estab database could not be opened - 2/11/2014 10:23:13 PM   
BletchleyGeek

Tim, do you have several estab files with the same name but in different folders, under the Estab folder?

Wite2 - Lead Tester

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 8
RE: Estab database could not be opened - 2/12/2014 12:03:57 AM   
RangerX3X

quote:

ORIGINAL: navwarcol

You may want to manually go in and check that you have a"bftbestab" with a .coe extension, and one with a .xml extension. And ifyou do, you mayhave to go into windows and re-set those extension types to be opened by the game exe.
If they are not showing as "BFTBEstab.coe" and "BFTBEstab.xml" --- for instance if part of the filename was somehow changed (it happens)
then you can also just see what is wrong with the name, and rename it back.. ie. if the file somehow changed its name to "BFTBEstab.co" then it would do as you said above, would present you with a windows icon and not know how to open a ".co" file... just hit "rename" and then add the 'e' at the end. That has happened to my own before, with other programs, never with this one, but I know sometimes the little 1's and 0's do weird things.

The files have the correct extensions.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bletchley_Geek

Tim, do you have several estab files with the same name but in different folders, under the Estab folder?

No, but I do have a shortcut folder that takes me to where I keep backups in other subfolders:

(in reply to BletchleyGeek)
Post #: 9
RE: Estab database could not be opened - 2/12/2014 12:08:07 AM   
Arjuna

Tim,

Point of clarification. What app are you using when you get this error?  Is it the Game or the ScenMaker? It looks like its the ScenMaker. I can certainly create a new scenario using a range of estabs and maps in the current ScenMaker. We did have this problem before which was caused by an error in the file path code. That should be fixed now.

What drive is your Game directory on? Eg standard C drive or some other drive.

< Message edited by Arjuna -- 2/12/2014 1:12:30 AM >

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to RangerX3X)
Post #: 10
RE: Estab database could not be opened - 2/12/2014 12:54:20 AM   
RangerX3X

Hi Dave,

I am using the ScenMaker, and I only receive the error when trying to create a new scenario with any estab/map combination. I can open an existing scenario without issue.

The game directory is in the standard C path.

If it makes any difference, I downloaded the patch from the FTP site, not the Members Club area.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 11
RE: Estab database could not be opened - 2/13/2014 11:00:19 PM   
RangerX3X

Just following-up to see if I should do a reinstall of the game and expansion pack or wait for a hotfix.

(in reply to RangerX3X)
Post #: 12
RE: Estab database could not be opened - 2/14/2014 12:55:13 AM   
Arjuna

There will be nothing in the hotfix, which I am building as I type, that will address this issue.
Here I have my data and Cmd Ops apps on my E drive. My C drive is a flash drive and its too small for data. It all works fine for me. Is there anyone else out there working from their c drive that is having this problem?

< Message edited by Arjuna -- 2/14/2014 5:50:21 AM >

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to RangerX3X)
Post #: 13
RE: Estab database could not be opened - 2/17/2014 1:08:03 PM   
RangerX3X

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

There will be nothing in the hotfix, which I am building as I type, that will address this issue.
Here I have my data and Cmd Ops apps on my E drive. My C drive is a flash drive and its too small for data. It all works fine for me. Is there anyone else out there working from their c drive that is having this problem?

I have been able to recreate the following three times in a row without deviation which leads me to believe the issue has something to do with the 4.6.270 patch available from the Members Club area. Unfortunately for me if it was not addressed in the hotfix then I may be out of luck in terms of using the ScenMaker for creating new content:

Uninstalled CmdOps and deleted the Battles from the Bulge folder from the C:\Matrix Games path

Installed CmdOps base game (4.0.229) and verified that the following load properly:

Game
ScenMaker
Estab Editor
Map Maker

Installed HTTR expansion pack (4.3.249 with auto-updater) and verified that the following load properly:

Game
ScenMaker
Estab Editor
Map Maker

Installed patch 4.4.263 from the following location:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/377/downloads/

And verified that the following load properly:

Game
ScenMaker
Estab Editor
Map Maker

Installed patch 4.6.270 from the Members Club area and verified that the following load properly:

Estab Editor
Map Maker

The following does not load properly:

Game (crashes when trying to start the Joe's Bridge scenario from the HTTR expansion pack)
ScenMaker (errors out when trying to create a new scenario with the message listed in the OP)

If I go into the Map Maker and load/save the "Joesbrig" map, then the scenario loads without the game crashing, however creating a new scenario with ScenMaker still errors out (even with the "Joesbrig" map).

All installations and patching were done with "Run as administrator".

During these tests, there were no user made files (estabs, maps, scenarios, etc.) present in the game directory that could cause any possible conflict.

Honestly I am not complaining, just stating what is a reality for me at the moment (fully cognizant that I seem to be the only one reporting this as a problem).

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 14
RE: Estab database could not be opened - 2/17/2014 1:40:49 PM   
ChrisMaiorana

I hope this gets resolved Tim. It would be a shame for CO community if PACOPS work goes dark because of a patch issue.

(in reply to RangerX3X)
Post #: 15
RE: Estab database could not be opened - 2/17/2014 3:09:52 PM   
dazkaz15

I can report that Joes Bridge is working fine for me.
Not that it helps you much to know that

(in reply to ChrisMaiorana)
Post #: 16
RE: Estab database could not be opened - 2/17/2014 3:12:32 PM   
dazkaz15

I have just tried to make a new scenario, and just had the same error message as you though.
So maybe that is some help to know its not your setup causing it.

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 17
RE: Estab database could not be opened - 2/17/2014 7:05:34 PM   
RangerX3X

quote:

ORIGINAL: dazkaz15

I have just tried to make a new scenario, and just had the same error message as you though.
So maybe that is some help to know its not your setup causing it.

Sorry to hear you have the issue as well daz.

At least I know now I am not crazy.

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 18
RE: Estab database could not be opened - 2/17/2014 9:34:09 PM   
Arjuna

Tim,

I have followed your steps and it works fine for me. It may be due to the fact that we have changed the scenario format. I know for sure that the ScenRealForce class was changed. I have not shipped converted HTTR scenarios with the beat builds. We only do that with a final patch. Can you try something for me.

1. First make a backup of your Joe's Bridge scenario file.
  2. Open the latest ScenMaker - ie from 4.6.270.
  3. Then Go to the File menu and select Convert. This will open a file requestor dialog.
  4. Select the Joe's Bridge scenario and hit OK. It should convert the scenario.
  5. Close ScenMaker.
  6. Run the Game
  7. Start a New Game selecting Joe's Bridge.

Let me know if that allowed you to run the scenario in the Game.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to RangerX3X)
Post #: 19
RE: Estab database could not be opened - 2/17/2014 11:04:44 PM   
RangerX3X

Hello Dave,

When using ScenMaker 4.6.270 there is no menu option for Convert anywhere that I can find (I am using the tool that shipped with the game, not a developer build if there is one).

Joe's Bridge is no longer an issue as I simply opened it in the Map Maker then selected save, which resolve the load issue and game crash that occurs with maps that are not "re-saved" in that manner.

The issue with creating a new scenario from scratch (the OP) still persists.

< Message edited by RangerX3X -- 2/18/2014 12:05:49 AM >

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 20
RE: Estab database could not be opened - 2/17/2014 11:11:16 PM   
rickier65

I'm trying to see if I have this issue. I wanted to create a small training scenario to see look at how orders work.

But I'm not sure that I understand where the problem occurs.

1. I open the Scenario Maker, and Select File --> New.

2. I select the BFTBEstab.coe (this is only choice although I also have HTTR installed is this correct? )

3. I also select Arnhem.cop and select OK.

4. At this point I'm presented with the map and the interface screen and first thing I do is File --> SaveAs, to avoid messing up existing scenario.

5. I type a description in the scenario description window, then select the Estab tab.

6. I expand the tabs for both Sides Axis --> German --> Heer and Allies --> United States --> US Line.

I haven't seen any error message yet. Does the error occur by now?

Or what steps should I try to duplicate?

Thanks
Rick

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 21
RE: Estab database could not be opened - 2/17/2014 11:14:00 PM   
BletchleyGeek

Rick,

it does quite look like you went past the point Tim is stuck. Just to confirm, what's the version number displayed on the main game screen? 4.6.271?

Wite2 - Lead Tester

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 22
RE: Estab database could not be opened - 2/17/2014 11:17:31 PM   
rickier65

quote:

Rick,

it does quite look like you went past the point Tim is stuck. Just to confirm, what's the version number displayed on the main game screen? 4.6.271?

No, the Main game screen, in the About section, shows 4.6.270. Also the ScenarioMaker Help About shows 4.6.270.

Thanks
Rick

Post #: 23
RE: Estab database could not be opened - 2/17/2014 11:18:15 PM   
RangerX3X

Hello Rick,

The error for me occurs immediately after selecting "OK" from your step 3, which I receive this:

I cannot get past this to your step 4 or subsequent steps.

Regarding your question in Step 2, BFTB Estab should be the only one you see (even with HTTR installed), unless you happen to install or create a custom Estab file (then it would show as well).

I am using game/ScenMaker 4.6.270 as well (the error only appears once that patch is applied).

< Message edited by RangerX3X -- 2/18/2014 12:20:44 AM >

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 24
RE: Estab database could not be opened - 2/17/2014 11:24:09 PM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerX3X

Hello Rick,

The error for me occurs immediately after selecting "OK" from your step 3, which I receive this:

I cannot get past this to your step 4 or subsequent steps.

Regarding your question in Step 2, BFTB Estab should be the only one you see (even with HTTR installed), unless you happen to install or create a custom Estab file (then it would show as well).

Curious then. Do you have other Estabs showing? Maybe that is the problem? Maybe I could try creating a new Estab first then try this?

EDIT - I believe my install matched yours Ranger. I don't know that game well enough yet to have done much more.

Thanks
Rick

< Message edited by Rick -- 2/18/2014 12:26:30 AM >

(in reply to RangerX3X)
Post #: 25
RE: Estab database could not be opened - 2/17/2014 11:24:23 PM   
RangerX3X

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

...I have not shipped converted HTTR scenarios with the beat builds. We only do that with a final patch.

Does this mean I should not have used the beta patch because I have an expansion pack installed?

< Message edited by RangerX3X -- 2/18/2014 12:25:04 AM >

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 26
RE: Estab database could not be opened - 2/17/2014 11:33:28 PM   
RangerX3X

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rick

Curious then. Do you have other Estabs showing? Maybe that is the problem? Maybe I could try creating a new Estab first then try this?

Do you have other Estabs showing? - Yes
Maybe that is the problem? - No, as it was a problem before moving custom Estabs into the fresh install.
Maybe I could try creating a new Estab first then try this? - I just created a new Estab and it still errors out in ScenMaker with 4.6.270.

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 27
RE: Estab database could not be opened - 2/17/2014 11:37:06 PM   
BletchleyGeek

Okay, now I saw that screenshot of yours Tim.

Can you try and move the shortcut out of the folder? I reckon that the routine that scans the Estabs folder is following that shortcut.

< Message edited by Bletchley_Geek -- 2/18/2014 12:39:51 AM >

Wite2 - Lead Tester

(in reply to RangerX3X)
Post #: 28
RE: Estab database could not be opened - 2/17/2014 11:44:37 PM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerX3X

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rick

Do you have other Estabs showing? - Yes
Maybe that is the problem? - No, as it was a problem before moving custom Estabs into the fresh install.
Maybe I could try creating a new Estab first then try this? - I just created a new Estab and it still errors out in ScenMaker with 4.6.270.

Ok.

I did look at the Estab editor and it looks like I would need to read manual before I could create a new one. Maybe i'll look at the mod section and see if there are any there I can try.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Rick

(in reply to RangerX3X)
Post #: 29
RE: Estab database could not be opened - 2/17/2014 11:46:50 PM   
RangerX3X

quote:

Okay, now I saw that screenshot of yours Tim.

Can you try and move the shortcut out of the folder? I reckon that the routine that scans the Estabs folder is following that shortcut.

Here is from a fresh re-install:

Prior to patching to 4.6.270 the ScenMaker works without issue: the problem only introduces itself once 4.6.270 is applied (even if I skip installing the HTTR expansion pack).

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Tech Support >> Estab database could not be opened Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI