Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Newby questions re AI, period, railways

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Newby questions re AI, period, railways Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Newby questions re AI, period, railways - 1/24/2014 10:57:11 AM   
altipueri

I bought ATG because, well, just because I could.

I've got AT and play occasionally. My questions:

1. Can I reduce the AI level to e.g. AI- or AI-- ? It's alright for you clever guys who play all the time to boast about AI+++ not giving you a challenge.

2. Can I play other periods - e.g. Rome, Napoleonic as I could with Zaratougha's AT mod?

3. Can I have roads instead of railways?

Of course I'm not going to RTFM because it hasn't got an index. What is it with manuals?

Post #: 1
RE: Newby questions re AI, period, railways - 1/24/2014 3:17:53 PM   
Tac2i

1. Yes, you can select AI-. There is no A--.

2. Checkout the third party scenarios available at advancedtactics.org.

3. No, in standard ATG railroads also function as roads.

You might like to read the strategy guide: http://www.matrixgames.com/files/AdvancedTacticsGold_StrategyGuide.zip

I also highly recommend Lancer's Enhanced Mod Suite:
http://www.advancedtactics.org/upload3/Enhanced_Modsuite_v215e.atzip (compatible with ATG v2.15i)
http://www.advancedtactics.org/upload3/Enhanced_Mod_Docs.atzip

< Message edited by Webizen -- 1/24/2014 4:25:12 PM >

Tac2i (formerly webizen)

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 2
RE: Newby questions re AI, period, railways - 1/24/2014 3:45:39 PM   
altipueri

Thanks for the reply Webizen.

Er, I have actually gone through the manual now and I er, can't see where to change the AI. I've also tried the various options on setting up a random game and the preferences once the game has started.

Ditto re tutorial - I can't find reference to it in the manual. The only tutorial scenarios appear to be those labelled Classic - are there others - perhaps not?

(in reply to Tac2i)
Post #: 3
RE: Newby questions re AI, period, railways - 1/24/2014 3:52:20 PM   
Tac2i

Re setting AI level:

Attachment (1)

Tac2i (formerly webizen)

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 4
RE: Newby questions re AI, period, railways - 1/24/2014 3:56:27 PM   
altipueri

Ah, so.

Many thanks.

(in reply to Tac2i)
Post #: 5
RE: Newby questions re AI, period, railways - 1/24/2014 6:14:26 PM   
altipueri

Excellent - just blown 2 hours on a great struggle.

Much more fun than doing the tax return.

Thanks again Webizen.

< Message edited by altipueri -- 1/24/2014 7:14:52 PM >

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 6
RE: Newby questions re AI, period, railways - 1/24/2014 6:19:45 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: altipueri

Excellent - just blown 2 hours on a great struggle.

Much more fun than doing the tax return.

Thanks again Webizen.

Funny, yeah many times I have opted out of some onerous task to burn a few hours playing ATG.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 7
RE: Newby questions re AI, period, railways - 1/24/2014 6:21:40 PM   
Jeffrey H.

One of my favorites...

"Procrastination

Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 8
RE: Newby questions re AI, period, railways - 2/4/2014 9:14:30 PM   
altipueri

Ok, more newbyish questions having just spent about six hours on a gripping battle. This game really gets me hooked when it's even. Just one more turn to get that next town, and another hour disappears.

1. Where should trains be? Supreme HQ or sub HQ or units?
2. Where should trucks be? Supreme HQ or sub HQ or units?
3. Staff - is there any point in them being in units rather than HQs?

The people over at Combat Mission seem appalled I'm playing this game more than theirs, but that's somewhat their problem for dropping the random scenario generator from the earlier games.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 9
RE: Newby questions re AI, period, railways - 2/4/2014 10:19:25 PM   
Twotribes

Trains are for strategic movement of troops. So you want them in the Headquarters where your production goes. Trucks also can do strategic movement when you have no rail lines so they go there too, but they also mobilize troops like Rifle and guns. Staff are poor fighters no need for them outside a Headquarters.

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 10
RE: Newby questions re AI, period, railways - 2/5/2014 12:11:52 AM   
Tac2i

In addition to Twotribes suggestions I also do the following:

1) Sometimes mobilize my heavy artillery by putting it on trains.

2) In one town start games, I put some of my initial explorers on trains and send them down the tracks.

Tac2i (formerly webizen)

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 11
RE: Newby questions re AI, period, railways - 2/5/2014 12:14:46 AM   
Twotribes

With Jeeps now I never use trains or such.

5 Jeeps for exploring and as I approach combat I add 5 armored cars and 5 light tanks.

(in reply to Tac2i)
Post #: 12
RE: Newby questions re AI, period, railways - 2/5/2014 9:54:56 AM   
Josh

To the good advice above...
Trains are restricted to railroads (obviously) so if you play on maps without railroads you need engineers to build them (and rr cost raw too to build). If you place them in a HQ then that HQ will be restricted to railroad movement as well. Other than that trains should indeed be put in your Supreme HQ or to those HQ's where the most of your production goes to. Using trains for strategic transport costs no oil (unlike using trucks for strategic transport) *but* the target for that strategic transport has to be on a RR as well (unlike trucks that can ST anything to anywhere on the map...if you have the oil and truck capacity).
A workaround for this is, say you have an unit a few hexes from a RR, but no truck capacity to tranport there, then create a new unit at the nearest RR hex and transport your stuff there, and then combine them later on.
In general I have the most trains in my SHQ (that's usually sitting idle in my capitol) and the more combat oriented my HQ are the more trucks or even better halftracks, they get.

Staff I use only in HQ's. In the frontline HQ's I try to have them at about 100% coverage. For some fronts that don't see much action I sometimes create a HQ with 10-20% staff coverage, they only consist of two Inf units and one armoured recon unit.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 13
RE: Newby questions re AI, period, railways - 2/5/2014 10:59:14 AM   
altipueri

Excellent thank you. Now I understand why I had an HQ marooned (train but no track !)

If I recall you need 1 truck for 10 rifle? Is there a ratio for jeeps and halftracks?

Is there value in intermediate HQs - between SHQ and near frontline HQs and should you aim to send production to them rather than to SHQ then back down the hierarchy?

Many thanks again for all the help in putting me off doing the accounts and tax returns.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 14
RE: Newby questions re AI, period, railways - 2/5/2014 2:50:07 PM   
Josh

Yeah 1 truck or 1 halftrack for 10 rifle. Or two towed guns per truck/halftrack, or 5 Inf and one towed gun. Carrying capacity is noted somewhere in the unit description, lots of numbers there so you must know where to find it but it's there. (Vic did a hell of a job there, a gazillion numbers per unit and they all make sense) Note that a truck has a "wheeled" form of transport and a halftrack errr "tracked" I think...meaning that in different conditions like mud/forest/hill they have a different movement allowance. Sometimes they can't even enter an hex because of swamp or whatever. Only form of transport that always works is the horse. Horses are the workinghorse of the army so to speak. They can do just about anything, except pull the heavy artillery.

Concerning your HQ question, when the war begins your chain of command is pretty simple. One HQ that pretty soon becomes the Supreme HQ. Most of the stuff you build is there so you can then send it all over the place. Very soon you will also create a few subordinate HQ's to cover all the fronts, so at least four or so to cover all the directions. The more you expand and conquer the more HQ's you want. An HQ has an efficient coverage of about 10-12 hexes wide. 6 hexes with 100% coverage (the farther an unit is away from it's HQ the lesser the bonus it gets from the HQ, that makes sense no? An fighting unit 50 kilometres away from HQ has a hard time getting orders from the brass).

Now say you have taken some territory, or even a continent. Then you face the task of shipping/moving your reinforcements all across the map to your frontline HQ's. So that's why I build sometimes HQ's that are located in ports. Place the SHQ also in a port, then you can send the troops from the SHQ to the HQ located in that port on that continent using cargoships, from that HQ you can then send reinforcements to the frontlines using trains.
Early game you have shortage of everything, middle and especially late game you tend to have too much of everything (if all goes well ) so try to avoid "bloated" HQ's, that is they have too much of everything...they only use up supply. Early game I send everything I have to the SHQ, later on it is possible to send small amounts of troops directly to the frontline HQ's. It's a matter of taste, you'll soon learn what's the most efficient way of doing things.

Now back to your tax returns.

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 15
RE: Newby questions re AI, period, railways - 2/5/2014 2:54:40 PM   
altipueri

Thanks again Josh.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 16
RE: Newby questions re AI, period, railways - 2/6/2014 7:05:32 PM   
Jeffrey H.

This game does seem to have it's share of accounting types. Wasn't/Isn't Westhiem also a tax prep guy ?

Ron Swanson

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 17
RE: Newby questions re AI, period, railways - 2/9/2014 9:20:51 PM   
altipueri

Not an accountant, just too mean to pay somebody else to do my tax return and accounts.

Now, back to the game.

Looking at the casualty lists:

Why does the AI not seem to build SMG units?

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 18
RE: Newby questions re AI, period, railways - 2/10/2014 9:05:43 AM   
Josh

AI not building SMG units? Are you sure? Because I sure have seen them in my games. Having said that...the AI is no match for a (experienced) human player because it still has difficulties making balanced units. Hmmm maybe I need to restate that, the AI *is* capable of giving me a headache now and then LOL.
I must say too that Vic's patches have improved AI unit composition somewhat. With the latest patches the AI units are more balanced, more balanced than they once were.
Oh well you know how it goes with AI's... gotta love 'em in FPS (AI units doing nothing where their buddy's head just got blown off lol...although in Deus Ex for instance the AI can be pretty sharp) and you got to hate/love them in strategy games as well.

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 19
RE: Newby questions re AI, period, railways - 2/10/2014 6:47:36 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: altipueri

Not an accountant, just too mean to pay somebody else to do my tax return and accounts.

Now, back to the game.

Looking at the casualty lists:

Why does the AI not seem to build SMG units?

I think maybe because you haven't built them either ?

Ron Swanson

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 20
RE: Newby questions re AI, period, railways - 2/11/2014 4:14:03 PM   
altipueri

My last small random battle, once city start, ended with about 1200 units dead on each side.

Mine were a mix of rifle and SMG - about 40:60 whereas the AI had only lost a handful of SMG and over a thousand rifle.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 21
RE: Newby questions re AI, period, railways - 2/11/2014 6:42:00 PM   
Jeffrey H.

The build AI algos are one of the more obscured and IMO screwed up aspects of ATG. I stopped playing random games because of them and many other AI related, percieved shortcomings.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 22
RE: Newby questions re AI, period, railways - 2/12/2014 12:30:06 AM   
baloo7777

Thanks for asking and answering these newbie questions...helpful...I put some heavy artillery on trains, and I started using jeeps to recon.

JRR

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Newby questions re AI, period, railways Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI