Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Great game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Great game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Great game - 1/21/2014 6:31:22 PM   
daferg

Hello. I don't know if I've posted in the forums before so this might be my first post. I recently purchased Flashpoint Campaigns and finally dived into it last night. What a great game. This was my 23rd game purchased from Matrix and I think this may be top three Matrix games I've played. My first scenario was slanted in my favor but I wanted to get a feel for the mechanics. I won the battle and I think I am ready to try another game without so much assistance. I think this game is gonna cause me a few sleepless nights. I read another post and the forum member said it was like watching a suspenseful movie during the Soviet turn. I agree with that %110. I have also noticed that the forum for this game has a great bunch of members and you are not ridiculed for asking a question. Its very hard for me to type so I won't have an impressive post count.

< Message edited by ferg1234 -- 1/21/2014 8:38:15 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Great game - 1/22/2014 12:37:41 AM   
CapnDarwin

ferg1234,

Welcome to the club! We are continuing to improve the game with each update and killing bugs found both by players and via in-house testing. We are also working on getting improvements and new user requested features in where we can as well. As for questions, fire away. One of the Dev team or any number of the knowledgeable players here will be happy to answer or point you to a post that covers the question.

Enjoy the game!

We are hard at work on Southern Storm and Pro work to support the warfighters.

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to daferg)
Post #: 2
RE: Great game - 1/22/2014 2:14:35 AM   
Mad Russian

ferg1234,

Welcome to the insanity of FPC!

I'm glad you like the game. Hopefully all the scenarios won't be too easy.

As you pointed out we are pretty easy going here. If you have any questions let us know and we'll try our best to help you enjoy the game as much as possible.

There should be more new content for you to try by the end of the month.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 3
RE: Great game - 1/22/2014 1:45:52 PM   
daferg

I had every option that might help me turned on so I think it will be harder from this point forward as I turn those options off. I just wanted to get a feel for the game mechanics and AI before I got my butt beat.

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 4
RE: Great game - 1/22/2014 3:03:28 PM   
Mad Russian

About that.

The AI is an auto adjusting code. Depending on what you determines what it does. So, the scenarios, the AI, doesn't play the same way all the time. Even in the same scenario.

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 1/22/2014 4:03:59 PM >

(in reply to daferg)
Post #: 5
RE: Great game - 1/22/2014 3:27:11 PM   
daferg

So you're saying I'll get my butt beat several different ways?
quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

About that.

The AI is an auto adjusting code. Depending on what you determines what it does. So, the scenarios, the AI, doesn't play the same way all the time. Even in the same scenario.

Good Hunting.

MR

Post #: 6
RE: Great game - 1/23/2014 1:17:57 PM   
tide1530

Hi Ferg1234

I'm not speaking for MR but yes the AI will do that to you. :) It's actually a very good AI

(in reply to daferg)
Post #: 7
RE: Great game - 1/23/2014 2:55:20 PM   
daferg

I played 'A Test of Wills' yesterday and thought about it last night. I fired the game up this morning and decided to play it again. The map and OOB is the same but it seems the AI thought about yesterdays game too. The AI had a better plan than yesterdays plan. That is pretty awesome. Most games like this lose their replay ability because the AIs actions are scripted. I bet if I play this scenario again tomorrow it will be different than todays and yesterdays game. Good stuff.

(in reply to tide1530)
Post #: 8
RE: Great game - 1/23/2014 3:04:51 PM   
Mad Russian

If you adjust your plan, the AI adjusts it's plan. At regular intervals the AI accesses the situation. Where the VL's are, what their value is, what they see as opposition between them and the highest to lowest. Threat vs reward. Much as a human player does.

Each time you change the threat vs reward ratio, the AI responds.

See the middle road in the screen shot? You can see where several battles took place along that road through the forest. I set up a defense at the edge of the forest and that was the first battle. As the Soviets left and pressured further south I adjusted my defense further south. Once the AI thought I had left the road open it tried to go through the forest road again. I managed to pull troops back to stop it a second time.

This happened 4 times. Until the fifth time they got out into the open. Right at the Victory Location!

Which I then turned into a choke point for his follow on forces coming out of the woods. But's that another story.

Another good example of the AI 'considering it's best move' is just above this road of death. The northern road through the woods has VL's at both ends. I held the eastern end but the western end wasn't. The AI bypassed the VL I held, which was worth less than the undefended one, went around me through the woods and took the VL at the west end.

Now, the AI doesn't cheat. It doesn't know where your forces are if they aren't in contact. It uses recon just like you do.

You'll also notice that the AI is sending a unit to pick up that now abandoned VL at the east end of the road too!

Good Hunting.

MR

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 1/23/2014 4:08:56 PM >

(in reply to daferg)
Post #: 9
RE: Great game - 1/23/2014 3:31:32 PM   
cbelva

You never know what the AI is going to do. I do a lot of testing of scenario so I have a tendency to play them over and over. You can get into a rut in regard to your tactics. I have had situations where the AI player used the same strategy the first couple of times I played it. On the third playing, I had pretty much developed the perfect tactics to beat the AI. Wouldn't you know the AI came at me in a different way totally messing up my perfectly executed strategy.

< Message edited by cbelva -- 1/23/2014 5:12:38 PM >

Post #: 10
RE: Great game - 1/23/2014 10:58:33 PM   
daferg

That forest road in the center looks like the Kaal trail my division fought on in WW2! That is the poster child road for a funnel or choke point. I have only played this scenario twice but I already see a flaw in my tactics. I use a rigid defense right along the FEBA and it has no depth. I need to change to a more fluid defense that has depth and a reserve element.

I will add some of my observations but as I stated I only have two games under my belt. I like the fact that some of the support elements are notional. Refueling, rearming, engineer actions, and casualties are handled behind the scenes. I may be the minority but I hope the focus is kept on the shooters and leave the support elements hidden. I read in the 'Wish List' the request for player placed mines and obstacles. I can understand how this could be abused. I would like to see a few of these placed on the map during the deployment phase. You could click and drag them to any location that your forces could deploy. I am not sure what the formula would be for the number but if it is kept low it would not be a game changer. Maybe instead of that is to give engineer units the ability to place minefields and obstacles as an order.

I really have no complaints. I've played enough games to know that they are a living breathing beast. This game is great now and fine tuning will polish it up.

Post #: 11
RE: Great game - 1/24/2014 2:17:07 PM   
Mad Russian

What I was thinking about was a different colored setup zone for engineer obstacles. That way a single road wouldn't have 5 minefields placed all down the road. Which in real life would never happen.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to daferg)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Great game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI