Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Roundup of Command Ops advantages?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Roundup of Command Ops advantages? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Roundup of Command Ops advantages? - 1/1/2014 12:48:10 PM   
kneecaps

Hi folks,
I played COTA for a long time (and found it excellent) and some of the earlier titles. Would somebody kindly summarize some of the improvements in the Command Ops series over the older stuff?

Thanks

Post #: 1
RE: Roundup of Command Ops advantages? - 1/1/2014 9:56:21 PM   
Perturabo

The most important would be the estab editor. Another is moving from airborne operations to land forces operations when it comes to content.

I don't know for the rest. I think there's a topic about changes somewhere but it doesn't seem to be pinned.

There's a demo which you can download and check out for yourself.

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to kneecaps)
Post #: 2
RE: Roundup of Command Ops advantages? - 1/1/2014 10:20:25 PM   
jimcarravall

quote:

ORIGINAL: kneecaps

Hi folks,
I played COTA for a long time (and found it excellent) and some of the earlier titles. Would somebody kindly summarize some of the improvements in the Command Ops series over the older stuff?

Thanks

Keep in mind, COTA served as the baseline for Command Ops.

The developers built from there into a more refined combat simulation.

If you enjoyed COTA, you'll like the expanded variety of scenarios and combat theaters, improved human command and control options for forces, the updated combat resolution engine, and the more realistic combat complexity against the improved Artificial Intelligence opponent in Command Ops.

Take care,

jim

(in reply to kneecaps)
Post #: 3
RE: Roundup of Command Ops advantages? - 1/5/2014 5:04:06 PM   
Alexander Seil

From the limited experience of Command Ops' demo (still deciding myself), I think the AI is MUCH better and more aggressive. I didn't play COTA that much, but that's only because I found that I could beat the AI senseless in every scenario I tried. I lost horribly in the demo.

Of course, this is partly attributable to the differences in scenarios, so not a definitive fact. However, there are two other factors to consider -

1) Chrome - you can actually click on equipment in Command Ops and get a description of its capabilities, a photo, etc., instead of just getting the generic-feeling TOE alone. Not a big deal for some people, but I really like things like this in a game.

2) Order details - there's a much finer level of control over your forces.

I also think the scenarios in Command Ops can be much larger than in COTA, but perhaps someone could correct me? I think the largest maps in COTA are about 40x40 km, how large are those allegedly huge Market Garden scenarios in the expansion pack?

(in reply to jimcarravall)
Post #: 4
RE: Roundup of Command Ops advantages? - 1/5/2014 10:12:46 PM   
Arjuna

See:
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/377/details/Command.Ops:.Battles.from.the.Bulge.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Alexander Seil)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Roundup of Command Ops advantages? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI