Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[FIXED B479][Not Fixed] AMSL and AGL Confusion?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [FIXED B479][Not Fixed] AMSL and AGL Confusion? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[FIXED B479][Not Fixed] AMSL and AGL Confusion? - 12/11/2013 9:46:10 PM   
bsq

In a similar vein to the issues about missile cruise heights (as reported here http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3482884 ) I have noticed that there is confusion between the measure of altitudes.

I cannot post a file with this, because I am suffering from the bug that causes the game to lock after a few seconds (and frankly I am past the point when I can be bothered with the 'quick fix' whilst waiting for your build to drop)

So here's what I see (consistently).

Sub launches UGM-109's at Syrian facilities (inland). Not many of them make it and I am wondering why, especially as I have now 'grounded' the Syrian AF during these strikes.

Once they are within 10 nm of the coast, I switch to Syrian side to see whats going on. Sure enough the Syrian radars have detected the tomahawks. I try to engage with missile battery manually - get told the missiles are below 65 feet, the minimum altitude for my SAM of choice - so far so good.

Switch sides, check the tomahawks and yes they are 60 feet AMSL...

Let it run and they are now over land... Now they start to explode...

Switch sides to Syria, sure enough the SAM is now firing at the missiles BECAUSE they are now flying 60 feet AGL, which at that point is 375 feet AMSL and the AI thinks they are in envelope - which they are not! OOPS!

So if SAMs and other sensor stuff is modelled AMSL and altitudes of cruise missiles is AGL - we have a problem

PS - The (not so) Quick Fix for the crash bug

The only way I fix this bug that causes the game to lock after a few seconds is to completely re-boot my computer and I am not continually doing that, so I get one test out of the scenario and then I just go back to editing it until the next time I have to really have re-boot the computer - seems to me like it crocks your whole system and not just that instance of the game - which would be why you are seeing so many people reporting 'it locks every time I run x or y scenario'

< Message edited by bsq -- 12/16/2013 8:53:18 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: AMSL and AGL Confusion? - 12/11/2013 11:23:08 PM   
mikmykWS

I've logged and we'll look at the altitude issues.

As far as the issue restarting you likely have a command instance still running. To end this and restart without restarting your computer just hit control-alt-delete, task manager, processes, find the command 32 process and shut it down. You can then restart command.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to bsq)
Post #: 2
RE: AMSL and AGL Confusion? - 12/12/2013 6:27:18 PM   
Dimitris

THANKS A MILLION! That was a great catch!

Fixed in Build 479.

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 3
RE: AMSL and AGL Confusion? - 12/16/2013 7:52:24 PM   
bsq

Running 479 and it still is not correct. They still intercepted the tomahawks west of the ridge (when fired from the East) and the tomahawks were only 60 ft AGL...

I also noticed that a pair of SA-17's flew clean through the ridge (altitude was 2800, ridge at 3300)

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 4
RE: AMSL and AGL Confusion? - 12/16/2013 7:56:33 PM   
Dimitris

Can you please post a save demonstrating this? I tested this repeatedly and I'm pretty certain we nailed it.

< Message edited by Sunburn -- 12/16/2013 8:57:47 PM >

(in reply to bsq)
Post #: 5
RE: AMSL and AGL Confusion? - 12/16/2013 7:58:51 PM   
bsq

EDIT
Ok here is the save. Not quite the same as happened the last time I ran it, but close enough.
The firing unit is the SA-17 co-located with the SA-2 at HOMS SA-2 Site.
It traces LOS to the inbound missiles through the ridge despite the missiles being below the ridge line at that point.
Several other sensors are 'claiming' to be tracking the flight of four missiles, some even through 6 or 7 thousand feet of terrain.
This time, after 1 of the 4 survived the SA-17 onslaught, an SA-3 fired on it. This is the SA-3 with the stated 65 feet lower limit shooting at a tomahawk at 60 feet AGL... Destroying it when detonating at 7600 feet - 7540 feet above its target.
Think there are lots of issues here with SAM logic... and the way terrain interacts with them...

EDIT 2
Think I have managed to merge two reported issues here LOS and Altitude...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by bsq -- 12/16/2013 10:03:00 PM >

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 6
RE: AMSL and AGL Confusion? - 12/20/2013 5:14:31 PM   
bsq

Bump

Still doing most of this in 1.02 (B480) sorry

Will move this to another thread as there are lots of issues here but the premise that missile LOS was off, appears to have been fixed, only for another more serious issue to show itself (which will take me a while to describe)

< Message edited by bsq -- 12/20/2013 6:53:01 PM >

(in reply to bsq)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [FIXED B479][Not Fixed] AMSL and AGL Confusion? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI