Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Command Decisions: Samurai vs. Yeomen RA 6.4

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Command Decisions: Samurai vs. Yeomen RA 6.4 Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Command Decisions: Samurai vs. Yeomen RA 6.4 - 12/4/2013 11:59:29 PM   
John 3rd

Greetings all.

I've taken some time off since my game ended with Capt. Sherwood and have been working to release RA 6.4. This was accomplished last night and so I am starting a new game. In a very interesting twist I have accepted the challenge to play two players who have been playing RA for some time. Playing the Allies in a 2x1 will be Larry Fulkerson and Jim Moore. The two of them have followed RA for some time, played it, and helped in the development process with their ideas and comments. Since time is precious to me with commitments to my Subway, the wife, and my boys, this 2x1 should be slow and steady without taking too much time while still providing an opportunity for some seriously fun play.

We are playing Reluctant Admiral 6.4 and are hammering out the HR right now. I'm hoping for a less is more approach to the House Rules.

This AAR and game pulls in all sorts of elements from Da Babes and John's new work with 'tweaking' the ATA model. Additionally we are working with the Extended Map, stacking limits, and a slowed movement system in the CBI arena.

Since I was unable to get the chance to stretch RA to the absolute limit in my earlier game against Sherwood, this should be a wild-and-crazy campaign. As normal the Japanese will try to do something that hasn't been done in my playing history. Fresh is BETTER!

Am going to give my noble opponents a chance to hop on and contribute before I start with THE PLAN.

As usual lets us please begin with the TRADITIONAL cry of BANZAI!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/
Post #: 1
RE: Command Decisions: Samurai vs. Yeomen RA 6.4 - 12/5/2013 12:12:55 AM   
larryfulkerson

Jim Moore and I are going to play the Allied side and Jim is in charge of the USN, USA, and USMarines, with the group including all the LCU's, planes, and ships. I'll handle all the non-American stuff so that's the Chinese, Australian, British, Indian, etc. stuff with all their LCU's, ships, and planes. Jim and I have been practicing doing this before this game started by playing against the Japanese AI and it's clumsy at first w/ miscommunications and misunderstandings but we've largely worked all that out and it's going smoothly now. Well, smoother. I'm retired and play WITP-AE for a living and can usually return turns the same day I get them. Most of the time within 24 hours......so I'm hoping this game won't be so slow we all lose interest. Jim and I are going to open an AAR for the Allied side of this conflict and Jim is waiting for me to start it and I'm waiting for him to start it so it might be a while before it gets started or else I would have posted a link to it in this post. I'm helpful that way. Anyway, this should be a different game, with two heads on the Allied side handling things.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2
RE: Command Decisions: Samurai vs. Yeomen RA 6.4 - 12/5/2013 12:32:15 AM   
John 3rd

TWO for the chopping block!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 3
RE: Command Decisions: Samurai vs. Yeomen RA 6.4 - 12/5/2013 1:13:35 AM   
CaptBeefheart

I look forward to this, gentlemen. Should be quite interesting.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 4
RE: Command Decisions: Samurai vs. Yeomen RA 6.4 - 12/5/2013 2:03:18 AM   
ny59giants

I think I know what some parts of "The Plan" will be.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 5
RE: Command Decisions: Samurai vs. Yeomen RA 6.4 - 12/5/2013 2:40:05 AM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

I think I know what some parts of "The Plan" will be.

You'll be under double-secret academic probation if ANYTHING is revealed prior to this being sealed off from my future opponents.

Repeat after me: "I KNOW nothing. NOTHING!"

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 6
RE: Command Decisions: Samurai vs. Yeomen RA 6.4 - 12/5/2013 4:14:18 AM   
moore4807

First a nod to my opponent - John was VERY gracious in accepting my proposal, as I had two games playing already and didn't feel I could give a third my full attention. Now combining the second with the third game is a bit unorthodox, but John3rd is more than capable of handing our Yeoman butts to us if were not vigilant!

*** The Allies advantage in this game is I've been an avid reader of John's previous games, soooo.... ***

Larry and I have played the RA mod since 4.1 and had a great time with it. This should be a blast... Just like Larry, I too am retired and have hours to devote to this game and what I view is the bonus is if either of us falls up a tree or something, the other player can quickly step in and keep the game going.

I'm heading over to make the Allied AAR now, we'll both using the same tag "Command Decisions", except for us the Yeomen will be first!

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 7
RE: Command Decisions: Samurai vs. Yeomen RA 6.4 - 12/5/2013 2:23:25 PM   
John 3rd

OK. You boys have had a chance to say your peace so this Thread is now CLOSED to the Allied Players!

Much get ready to describe all evil and fiendish thinking that is about to happen!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 8
RE: Command Decisions: Samurai vs. Yeomen RA 6.4 - 12/6/2013 12:50:13 AM   
zuluhour

John, I can't help it, I'm going to read Allies. That crack about playing WITP-AE for a living perked my comical side. Best of luck to you! I hope for two good opposing AARs to read before work. It should be very interesting to have someone really focused in southeast Asia and China, a very challenging situation for you.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 9
RE: Command Decisions: Samurai vs. Yeomen RA 6.4 - 12/6/2013 2:09:55 AM   
Cribtop

Good Luck!

Now, what is THE PLAN?

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 10
RE: Command Decisions: Samurai vs. Yeomen RA 6.4 - 12/6/2013 2:40:49 AM   
John 3rd

Did you guys see that my opponents are already on PAGE THREE of their AAR. Holy CATS! Guess they were pretty serious about that whole 'we're retired and have time to play' stuff.

GREAT!

It is BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR freezing in my part of the world right now. I look at the Temp number on my computer and it registers at a balmy 7*. YIKES!

Had planned on starting Turn One this morning but got a distress call from the store saying that it was all of 39*. Not good. Call came in at 6:05am from my opener and I immediately called our HVAC Company. Though not open I left a message and to give them great credit they were there at 8:45am. Found three things wrong with my HVAC and, luckily, none were expensive. That was the good news. Bad news is that it blasted my morning for doing the Opening Turn of this match.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 11
The PLAN - 12/6/2013 2:42:45 AM   
John 3rd

OK. WE always try something different in my games so here is the initial thought. I am going to Post the Battle Plan using the Strategic Map and not say anything to begin with:

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 12
Thoughts - 12/6/2013 3:04:27 AM   
John 3rd

We'll begin with all the 'normal' moves going after the DEI and opening positions.

Operational Areas:

North Pacific
Grab everything from Umnak west.

Central Pacific
Take Midway and use it as a staging base for SS and AMC Raiders.

South Pacific
A massed thrust that throws all conventional wisdom out the door. We move and grab Noumea, Suva, and Pago Pago. A DEEP BALL will be thrown with the capture of Tahiti and adjacent positions.

Australia
Grab PM, the island at the northern tip (SW of PM), the whole NW side of Australia and threaten Perth.

DEI
Normal moves with a goal of being free of this area no later then March 1st. Grab Cocos and, same as Midway, make it a staging base for Air Search, Raiders, and anything else pertinent.

Burma
All of Burma and along the coast through Akyab.

China
Some action to clear out the SE area and Central Plains. Michael suggests a 'Northern Offensive' going after the oil up there. Might be something to think about...

GOAL:
Going to make a serious attempt at massed Commerce Warfare using my SS, AMC (will convert over more), LBA, and some small STF.

Create a massive southern salient that forces the Allies to go after it so Convoys can reach Australia. The goal is to keep Australia from becoming a major thorn in the side and/or staging base for a counter-offensive. I've taken Australia. It can be done. This about interdiction and total conquest. The West will see a major base at Cocos and then strong positions at Noumea and Suva. Tahiti then serves the same role as Cocos. I want to force the Allies to fight FAR AWAY from the Center. Midway closes the door for assaulting the Perimeter from the East and North. The Marshalls and Wake will be heavily fortified and we'll dare the Americans to come this direction.

With my esteemed opponents splitting their jobs down the line between American and Allies, I will seek to exploit and try to force one to help the other and keep them off-balance.

Haven't done something this bold before in terms of distance. The initial moves will cost a CRAPLOAD of fuel; however, once Tahiti is mine I shall pull the KB back and have the enjoyment of PICKING where to raid. We'll see...

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 12/6/2013 4:07:14 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 13
RE: Thoughts - 12/6/2013 4:09:19 AM   
morejeffs

Any temptation to pick off NZ at some (mid 1942) point?

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 14
RE: Thoughts - 12/6/2013 7:53:15 AM   
kjnoel

If isolating Australia is your key objective, what will you do to stop the Allies shipping everything East Coast > Cape Town > Aus? I think you might want to extend your plan to conquer Perth rather than just threaten it. Very hard to cut Perth off but if you take down Western Australia and keep the Eastern route shut then you will isolate Australia...... but, to what end?

(in reply to morejeffs)
Post #: 15
RE: Thoughts - 12/6/2013 1:53:36 PM   
John 3rd

New Zealand was my first thought for this game, however, those additional 'emergency' reinforcements are not desired. Would like to do this without having to face an additional 100,000 Allied troops!

Perth is a good bet to go after. Think we'll swing around the corner coming down from Exmouth and grab Geraldton and then think about things before committing.

In making the lunge going SE I intend to use three SNLF Assault Brigades, the Imperial Guards Brigade, and an Infantry Division taken out of the OOB for the DEI. Think the Sendai Division will move from Japan SE immediately. We'll miss those veterans at Java, Malaya, or the Philippines but a strong shock unit is needed to blast through Noumea, Suva, and Pago Pago.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to kjnoel)
Post #: 16
RE: Thoughts - 12/6/2013 10:50:36 PM   
pws1225

Well now, another interesting game to watch. Good luck John.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 17
RE: Thoughts - 12/7/2013 8:00:37 AM   
janh

Interesting plan with a few new twists. I hope this game will for once proceed to the bitter end. Since you good deep in the SoE-Pac, have you considered the Line Islands as well? I remember PzB's successes and the vast benefits that he gained from holding those. They can be a major obstacle to Allied convoys, a pretty good forward base, and they can even render Johnston and Pearl quite inconvenient for the Allies. With LR-recon you could spot any Allied naval attempts developing there in an early stage... I think they are a very important complement to a SO-PAC strategy.

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 18
RE: Thoughts - 12/7/2013 3:00:35 PM   
Cribtop

Good point, Janh. Also, if John takes the Line Islands first, it screams Hawaii and could make a subsequent thrust into SOPAC easier as the Allies race to build up Pearl and surrounding bases.

< Message edited by Cribtop -- 12/7/2013 4:04:35 PM >

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 19
RE: Thoughts - 12/8/2013 5:42:25 AM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Good point, Janh. Also, if John takes the Line Islands first, it screams Hawaii and could make a subsequent thrust into SOPAC easier as the Allies race to build up Pearl and surrounding bases.

LIKE it!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 20
December 7, 1941 - 12/8/2013 5:43:00 AM   
John 3rd

"Climb Mount Niitaka."

Turn One is finally sent!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 21
December 7, 1941 - 12/8/2013 2:18:12 PM   
John 3rd

Am waiting for the boys to send back their portion of Turn One.

Spent the night with my brain chewing on strategy here and I have to admit that taking the Line Islands makes a whole bunch of sense to me. The bottom line is that I want bases from which to launch a Commerce War on his SLC. If we can convince the American player that Japan is making a serious effort at going after Hawaii then he will divert men and material there. Makes sense. What I really want to do is hit those early convoys carrying troops and supplies. Since these guys have been avid readers of my AARs I am going to try and 'look' like I am following my standard play book for the Central Pacific and then radically depart from it.

Normal:
1. The KB will strike PH and then retire NE towards the West Coast. Will make sure this is seen and then move back to north of Midway.
2. There are two SNLF Assault Brigades at Saipan. One will be sent to take Wake and other will grab Midway. These are 'normal' moves for me.
3. From the Marshalls we shall grab Baker, Tarawa, Tabitueau, and other adjacent islands.

New:
1. The Sendai Division and the Imperial Guards Brigade form the strength of the movement into the heart our objectives.
2. The Imperial Guards, the Wake SNLF Assault Brigade, and several Naval Guard units will be tasked with the Line Islands.
3. The 2nd ID (Sendai) will thrust south. First major objective will be Pago Pago. This is the dominant American Base is the SE.
4. ALL the CVs will be used for these operations.
---Carrier Division One (Akagi, Kaga, and Ryujo) will Cover the Wake--Midway Operations.
---I will pull Carrier Division Two (Hiryu, Soryu, and Shoho) will Cover the initial moves into the DEI, slaughter the Thundering Herd, and then make sure Palembang is taken. As soon as these operation are complete the CVs will head east and move into the Coral Sea looking for trouble...
---Carrier Division Three (Shokaku, Zuikaku, and Zuiho) will Cover the initial thrust towards the Line Islands.
---The two CVEs will lurk near Rabaul and try to pick-off warships in the area.
5. Japanese SS are fully deployed with 5 on the West Coast, 5 along the islands leading to Midway, 7 near Christmas Ilse, and 6 around Pago Pago--Suva. A group of Glen SS will set-up a picket line to to try and watch for enemy convoys headed to Christmas so we can move out and SINK THEM prior to arrival.

Political Points
For these Operations I do not need Infantry Divisions. I need Regiments and Brigades. EASY! We'll purchase these units ASAP and then feed them into Offensive Operations as they arrive. Does anyone have 'favorite' Brigades/Regiments to buyout from China or Manchuria? The 90th already begins at Babeldoap so that one is already in play.

Those are the initial plans...

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 12/8/2013 3:22:50 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 22
RE: December 7, 1941 - 12/8/2013 4:46:36 PM   
ny59giants

Hit the "G" button to pull up all your troops. Next, right click on the "Infantry" to keep just infantry LCUs. Then, click on the "Hard/Soft" in the upper right hand corner. Finally, sort by "Experience" so you can see what LCUs are available with high experience.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 23
"Take me out to the Ballgame!" - 12/8/2013 11:30:28 PM   
John 3rd

Yeomen vs. Samurai
Turn One: December 7, 1941

The Japanese got just about the best opening turn I've seen for a campaign to start on. There was not a facet of December 7th that did not meet or exceed expectations. Have not been able to say that often in an AE Game.

Pearl Harbor
Strike Force: 92 Zero, 107 Val, and 120 Kate

Battleship Row
Arizona 3 Bombs--3 TT Heavy Damage
Nevada 1 800 Kg--4 Bombs--1 TT On Fire
Oklahoma 5 Bombs--3 TT Heavy Damage
Pennsylvania 1 800 KG--2 Bombs--2 TT Heavy Damage
Tennessee 2 800 Kg--2 Bombs--2 TT Heavy Fires
California 1 800Kg--3 Bombs--1 TT On Fire
New Mexico 1 800 Kg--2 Bombs--3 TT Heavy Damage
Idaho 1 800 Kg--5 Bombs--4 TT Heavy Fires--Heavy Damage
Mississippi 7 Bombs--2 TT On Fire

All BBs hit and hit hard. Doubt if any shall sink but this is an excellent start with all 9 nicely hit. Remember that in RA Colorado, Maryland, and West Virginia are getting their upgrade that was planned but never done in 1941. The three old New Mexico Class BBs stay to cover the withdrawal of the two mentioned above.

Cruisers
New Orleans 1 TT On Fire
Minneapolis 2 Bombs
San Francisco 1 Bomb--1 TT Heavy Damage
Honolulu 1 TT
St. Louis 1 800 KG On Fire

Raise a toast of Sake for this. Saratoga ain't ganno be gettin any screening ships from Pearl!

Other Ships
SS Dolphin 1 Bomb
DD Bagley 1TT Heavy Damage
DD Ralph Talbot 1 Bomb
DD Ward hit by 6 60 KG Bombs from Jakes Heavy Damage
AR Vestal 1 800 KG Heavy Damage
AVD Hurlburt SUNK
AO Ramapo 1 TT
AM SUNK

The AFs get creamed by strafing Zeros and one Daitai of Vals.

Total aerial losses are 6 Zero, 5 Val, and 9 Kate. Not bad either.

Manila
Prior to the Carrier Strike, the AF is creamed by two strikes from Formosa totalling 64 Zero and 54 Betty-Nell. These planes BLAST the AF and shoot down or destroy nearly a dozen P-40s and several PBYs.

STRIKE: 41 Zero 45 Val and 57 Kate

SS
SUNK: Sealion, Snapper, Skipjack, and Tarpon
DAM: Swordfish, Searaven, Sturgeon, Permit, Porpoise, Pickeral, Saury, Spearfish, Sailfish, Sea Dragon: All hit with 1 or 2 bombs.

14 Fleet Boats hit or Sunk. We'll add to that total tomorrow.

S-Boat
SUNK: S-38, S-40
DAM: S-41, S-37

All but one of the S-Boats gets hit. GREAT! No useful American TTs from these guys.

Other:
ARD Dewey, AS Holland, Canpus, Otus, AV Langley, 3 AK, 2 PG, 2 AM, 1 AM SUNK, 1 AO, 1 AP, TK La Estella Caltex BLOWS UP!, and a Yo-.

For a commitment of 102 Strike Planes this is OUTSTANDING work.

Will cover all other info in a few minutes.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 12/9/2013 12:31:59 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 24
"Take me out to the Ballgame!" - 12/9/2013 12:23:45 AM   
John 3rd

The big strikes are covered let's go around and hit everything else plus the BIG BONUS we got during the turn:

Malaya
Heavy Air Strikes flown at Alor Star, Georgetown, Kota Bharu, and Kuantan. Good results all strikes with a nice number of Brit Fighters and Bombers destroyed.

Kuantan
In a lesson learned from my Sherwood match, I decide to land midway down the peninsula at Kuantan. ALL Landing TF drop their troops off here. This will amount to two full ID plus extras. We'll take it tomorrow. Allied afternoon strikes hit a single AK seriously at a cost of nearly 20 Brit Fighters, Bombers, and TB. 3rd Air Division is loaded and will unload here in two days.

Mersing
A 3rd ID will land at Mersing in 3-4 days.

Port Dickson
In another different move for me, I fly the 1st Raiding Group (Paras) to Singora where they will then land and take Port Dickson. It is undefended. The Transports will then fly in a full Naval Guard to hold the base. The two units should have about 100 AV between them. This move will cut the RR on the west side and I hope TRAP a large portion of the Allied Army north of the intersection. I want to make Singers as easy as possible.

Philippines
Clark gets the attention of 18 Zero and 81 Bombers. The runway is blasted and nearly a dozen planes are shot down or destroyed.

Iba sees a single group of 27 Betty hit it but they get a wonderful dice roll destroying 6 P-40s on the ground and damaging 121 (I think that was the absurd number shown!). The runway was hit nearly 80 times from just these bombers.

Cagayan is struck by 9 Nells who do nice damage and damage 6 B-17s.

Paras land a take Cotabato. Immediately begin flying in a Base Force as well as 24 Kate and 6 Jakes for Air Search.

Land at Laoag in Luzon. Will have it tomorrow.

China
Changsha is struck by 18 Fighters and 36 Bombers hitting several planes and destroying a few.

Hong Kong gets 51 Bombers who plaster the AF.

A group of nine Val hit 2 AKL during the morning and smack DD Scout with a pair of bombs in the afternoon.

A NICE Bonus:
SS Operations
I-3 sinks AK Cagou with a TT at Isle of Pines
I-2 sinks AP Cap Padaran with two attack yielding 3 TT hits near Isle of Pines
Ro-34 sinks AKL Fortuna with 2 TT near San Jose
I-165 sinks TK Augustina 2 Sh and 1 TT at Oosthaven
I-1 hits AO Var with a TT at Noumea AND sinks AKL Loyaute at the same location
I-166 sinks AP Kepang at Lingga
I-122 hits AS Janssens near Oosthaven
I-155 sinks AP Kedah near Muntok
I-123 hits AP Kota Radja at Banjoewangi

TOTAL:
SUNK: 1 AK, 2 AKL, 3 AP, and a TK
DAM: 1 AO, 1 AS, and 1 AP

Excellent start for the Japanese Sub Arm!

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 12/9/2013 1:25:34 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 25
"Buy me some peanuts and crackerjacks" - 12/9/2013 12:33:11 AM   
John 3rd

Planning

The Marianas
A TF carrying one SNLF Assault Brigade will hit Guam tomorrow. The same unit will then immediately load and head for Midway.

A second TF carrying the other SNLF Brigade is loading and will head for Wake.

ESCORTS: The two CVEs and a pair of BB provide the Sunday punch for these operations.

KB-1/KB-3 will withdraw with KB-1 moving towards Midway and KB-3 going towards Johnston. This is highly visible. I want my American opponent to KNOW I've cleared the area so he begins moving TF from the WC ASAP.

Babeldoap
TF depart there heading for northern Mindanao, Dadjangas, and Cotabato.

Other TF move SW heading out to set-up seaplane bases.

KB-2 will make a FULL SPEED sprint 18 hexes to begin interdicting fleeing Allied Shipping.

Philippines
Five STF fan out to EAT the Thundering Herd as it flees.

More northern landings in Luzon coming.

Switch the 3 Daitai of Betty/Nell to Port Attack at Manila in hopes of adding to the sinkings done this day.

Malaya
Already detailed the operations coming there.

Burma
Initial moves will consist of 3 TK Regiments

China
Central Plains and begin the push into northern China.

Work to clean out the area east and south of Changsha.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 12/9/2013 1:34:29 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 26
"Buy me some peanuts and crackerjacks" - 12/9/2013 12:40:31 AM   
John 3rd

Here is the VP Screen for Day One:

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 27
RE: "Buy me some peanuts and crackerjacks" - 12/9/2013 10:04:57 PM   
John 3rd

We've been beset by email issues on the Allied side. Been patiently waiting for the new turn but no luck at this point...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 28
Holy CATS! - 12/10/2013 6:48:56 PM   
John 3rd

December 8, 1941
KB-3

After a magnificent attack upon Pearl Harbor, Vc-Adm Yamaguchi follows pre-war plans and divides his TF into CARDIV1 (Akagi-Kaga-Ryujo) and sends it towards Midway while he turns SW towards Johnston Isle with CARDIV3 (Shokaku-Zuikaku-Zuiho). Fully anticipating a busy day for the 8th, he turns in early and tries to get some badly needed sleep.

At 0345, the Alarm Claxon going off awakens him from a deep slumber. Rushing to the bridge he is shocked to hear main gun batteries firing from CA's Tone and Chikuma. Several DDs and CL Isuzu are open up as he enters the Bridge. Shokaku's Captain is watching the fight off to the Port side of the CV. It quickly is ascertained that the Japanese have run into an American STF sortied from Pearl Harbor: CL Helena and 8 DDs are desperately attempting to penetrate the Japanese Screen. The battle lasts just ten minutes (5 gunnery rounds) and sees the Helena and 3 DDs hit solidly by the Japanese gunnery. The Americans flee the scene as the startled Japanese thank their lucky stars for not seeing a single shell hit the Flattops.

A slightly shaken Japanese Vc-Adm orders tea and decides sleep is useless. He begins to plan the day's operations.

Just after the Task Force begin Flight Operations, Yamaguchi is startled to hear a non-coded warning echo through the bridge as a second American TF is spotted by a Jake just launched from Tone. The enemy is only 29,000 yards distant. The carriers are in a dangerous position as they are getting aircraft warmed up for CAP and have armed strike planes stored in the hangars in anticipation of action later in the day. Taking a big risk, Yamaguchi orders the CAP launched and the screening vessels intercept rapidly closing enemy ships.

Gunnery erupts at 23,000 yards as Tone, Chikuma, and Isuku attempt to interpose themselves with the American force. The enemy consists of CA Indianapolis and 5 DMS. The slowly rising sun disrupts Japanese gunnery silhouetting them and hiding the Americans in shadow. While the earlier fight was tense, this battle is terribly nasty. The American CA is hell bent on getting to the Japanese CVs.

A twenty minute battle roars across the roiling ocean. For the first minutes Indianapolis concentrates on the nearest escorts. She rapidly puts one or two 8" shells into the new Moon-Class DD Sususuki and DD Kasumi. They stagger out of formation and the Indianapolis attempts to shoot through the gap created by their withdrawal. Frighteningly, shells begin to hit the Japanese CVs. How often does a Japanese CV fire its main AA Guns at en enemy ship? NOT OFTEN! Must give credit to Shokaku and Zuikaku's gunnery officers they each hit the American several times. When the range reaches 11,000 and 8,000 yards American 8" shells begin to hit the carrier. Zuikaku takes a pair of shells while Shokaku gets a single hit. Little Zuiho is struck by a 4" shell from one of the DMS. In return, the Americans see over a dozen shells hit Indianapolis with each of the DMS taking 1-3 hits each. It is 3 8" shells hitting the American CA that finally forces her to disengage.

With minor fires burning on Zuikaku, a set of strikes are rapidly moved to the flightdecks and launched with angry orders to sink ANY American ship to the west of the Task Force! The weather is rapidly closing in and the Japanese Strike gets divided and, perhaps, some of it gets lost. The leader of Shokaku's Vals suddenly finds himself over PEARL HARBOR where his escort 16 Zero is rapidly pounced on by 76 American Fighters. The strike is thoroughly shot-up but--amazingly--the vast majority of the pilots survive. The Kates from Zuikaku don't get lost. They find the amaged Indianapolis and rapidly hit her with 3 torpedoes and leave her to sink. The afternoon strikes see a similar thing happen when Shokaku's Kates get separated and find themselves ALSO approaching Pearl Harbor. This group of 24 Zero and 21 Kate do far better in that they are not wiped from the sky but they take heavy losses as well.

A CRAZY DAY!

Taking stock through blinker light, it is found that both CVs have taken real damage. Zuikaku is holed below the waterline but fires are brought under control (15 SYS, 11 Flot, 3 ENG). Shokaku is in better shape but the single 8" shell does cause issues that need to be dealt with (19 SYS and 8 FLOT). Additionally, Shokaku's Air Group is trashed with only 24 Zero, 9 Val, and 4 Kate available for duty. Luckily her pilots are OK with many picked up by plane guard DDs and a few I-Boats (Pilots Fighter 32, Val 23, Kate 22).

Vc-Adm Yamaguchi orders CARDIV1 to come back down and prepares to attach Zuiho, Tone, Chikuma, Isuzu and 2 DDs to Akagi's Group while he takes CARDIV3 home for quick repairs.

NOT exactly a good day! The bravery of the Americans is duly noted....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 12/10/2013 7:56:45 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 29
Holy CATS! - 12/10/2013 6:55:47 PM   
John 3rd

ON the bright side, the Americans lose a CA and have a modern CL hit pretty hard.

Wow. I could not believe that second brawl. I kept count and CA Indianapolis hit the Japanese TF with 15 8" hits. That is damned good shooting! She led a charmed life until the range closed to 8,000 Yds when Tone put 3 8" shell into her forcing the ship to leave. Scared the tar out of this Japanese player!

The ships each have about 7-9 SYS Damage that is serious and cannot be repaired at Kwajalein so I am sending them home ASAP and so they can come back to Cover the Operations to the East. We'll operate with 2 CV and 2 CVL in CARDIV1 for the time being.

This shouldn't be too big of impact on plans since one CV TF can do the job. It just makes it a bit more...shall I say...interesting...

The fights slowed the Japanese down and that is why those two strikes impaled themselves on Pearl Harbor. I had set the ranges but the CVs ended up at max range from PH. Lost 6 Zero, 12 Val, and 20 Kates there but only lost a total of 8 pilots. THAT is crazy but I shall not complain. Just have to replace airframes. Thank Goodness.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Command Decisions: Samurai vs. Yeomen RA 6.4 Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI