Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR - 1/2/2014 2:12:45 PM   
markb50k

One piece of advice, when dealing with the hidden button issue in Air to Air combats...

Try ALT-F4 which closes windows. Many times the button is hidden but the computer actually considers the popup to be activated so by hitting ALT-F4 it closes the hidden popup and you can continue. If you have already clicked another MWIF screen then you have to play around with it a little, try this...

ALT-TAB to another open program on your computer, like your web browser or something,..
Then ALT-TAB back to MWIF, the computer will choose one of the open screens to have focus (you don't know which one)...
Try ALT-f4, one of several things will happen...
1. it will close a screen you didn't attempt to close, like the global map or the Screen Layout. This is ok, since it increases the chance that the hidden popup is selected next.
2. it will try to close the main form (asking if you want to save the game). If this happens just hit CANCEL
3. you are lucky and it closes the hidden form. and you can proceed :)

If 1 or 2 happens, just start again with the ALT-TAB away from MWIF and back again, and repeat. Eventually you'll close the hidden button popup.

Good Luck!

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 151
RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR - 1/2/2014 8:32:06 PM   
Courtenay

Also, the CW makes the first night bombing raids of the game. All German factories in range are under fighter cover, so it is time for night raids. Simultaneous raids hit Essen, Dusseldorf, and Hamburg, all covered by the same German fighter. The German fighter intercepted the CW LND-4, but cleared the bombers through. The bombers hit one production point.

Also, the CW flew their best Spitfire to Plymouth.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 152
RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR - 1/2/2014 9:46:03 PM   
Courtenay

Thanks for the advice on how to deal with the missing button; I had used Alt-Tab, but not Alt-F4.

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 153
RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR - 1/2/2014 9:48:58 PM   
Courtenay

M/A Axis #9: Weather 10, B, B, Sn, R, St, St
The weather turns bad again.

Ge, It combined, Ja land

In the Eastern Med, the CW roll a ten, but only after Italians roll a five. No one found anyone.

In the North Atlantic, The Germans roll a two! However, they don't find the the convoys, as the Allies also roll a two. The Germans at least miss the huge pile of battleships in the two box. There are no surprise points. The CW suffers an X, a D, and 3 As. The first shot sinks the Jacob van Heemskerk, which rolled a nine to save. Any other ship in the fleet would have been fine with that roll. The rest of the fleet was disheartened; the CW rolled a 1, a 1, a 3 and a 2 for its other damage rolls. These rolls damaged HMAS Pearth, and sent Hood, Neptune, and Perth (again) back home). The Germans suffer an X, a D and 2 As. The X damages the Hipper (rolled a 7). The D sends Gneisenau back home. An A sent Hipper back home, and the last A bounced of the Bismark's armor.

In the Eastern Med, the Italians would have been insane to pick a fight. I had them initiate a naval combat, though, becuase two rounds of naval combat did not happen in this sea area because of a bug in MWiF. The results were exciting. In the first round of fighting, both side found each other, with the Allies having two surprise points. The Allies shifted the Italian air-to-air combat down. In the first round of combat, the British cleared the Italian NAV through, while the Italians aborted the CW NAV. In the second round of battle, the Beaufighter rolled a 19, shooting down the Italian fighter, and killing its pilot. The Italian fighter aborted the Beaufighter in return. The Italian NAV accomplished nothing against British AA FTR. In the second round, the Brithish found the Italians, and, after including only the zero box, had eight surprise points. The Germans had diverted a fighter to the zero box, to replace the Italian fighter. The British had a X, 2D, and 2A. They sank the Bande Nere, and sent two cruisers back home. The As had no other target but the two convoy points. The Italians had a D and 3 As. The British applied the D to the Nelson, and to their surprise, the Nelson was damaged. Two more A's went on the Nelson, and the final A bounce of battleship armor. In the next round of combat, all that was left was the Italian NAV. It found the British, with four surprise points. The Italians shifted AA to zero, and shifted their results to 2D and 3 A versus five ships. The result? Every single British ship aborted. Remember, this combat should have happened in the Allied impulse, not the German one, so if the turn ends, I will give the Axis an extra move to put new ships in this sea zone.

The Italians, fearing end of turn, strat bomb Barcelona, and knock out the factory, rolling a nine. It was a short ranged plane; if it could have hit Madrid, it would have taken out two points, but Madrid was too far.

The Germans kill the out of supply flipped Spanish unit that retreated the previous impulse. The Germans walk into Saragossa.

Turn does not end.

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 154
RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR - 1/2/2014 10:03:30 PM   
Courtenay

M/A 41 Allied #12:

CW combined, Fr naval, Chinese land, US & SU combined

Gort rails to Algiers. Now the hex is in supply.

The CW moves some more units into Spain, and sends the transport in Capetown to off the Indian shore to pick up a corps.

Not much else happens.

Turn end roll 8. Turn does not end.

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 155
RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR - 1/2/2014 11:43:52 PM   
Courtenay

M/A Axis #15: Weather 4+2; St, R, F, F, R, F.

Ge land, It combined, Ja Land.

The Italians replace their convoys in the Western Med.

The Japanese continue to move units east, while other units head for the coast. No one is ready for war with the US at the moment, on either side.

The Italians creep foward toward Algiers,

The Germans get what feels like their first break of the game. They look at an attack on Madrid, but it is only +5, attacking with two good corp only -- an invitation to disaster. Instead, they look at Barcelona, sunny Barcelona. They throw everything they can against Barcelona, including a paradrop. Rommel provides HQ support. Three Stukas provide 16 points of ground support. The Italian NAV chased the British battleships out of the seazone, saving a lot of naval gunfire support. The attack went in at +13, and the Germans rolled high, killing both Spanish units in the hex at no cost to the Germans. Suddenly the invasion of Spain looks doable.

Turn end 4, turn ends. Initiative moves to +0; this will be the first time this game the Allies have a chance to reroll.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 156
RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR - 1/2/2014 11:46:04 PM   
Courtenay

The allies were not expecting the possibility of a double move; the Germans can put the northern British force out of supply; they are already out of position. The Allies did not expect Barcelona to fall so easily. Next turn's initiative will be crucial.

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 157
RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR - 1/3/2014 2:16:44 AM   
Courtenay

The first good partisan of the game appears, in China, a 2-1. Rather than just blocking a resource,

the Chinese put it on the Chihkiang road.

The British move a corps into Singapore. A bad corps, but a corps. The US garrisons Midway.

The British used six oil, the French one.
The German used three, the Italians two, and Japanese a couple.

Here are the destroyed units for the turn:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 158
RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR - 1/3/2014 2:19:47 AM   
Courtenay

I forgot to mention: The Spanish fighter was interned in Portugal.

Production:

Ge 25+0: MECH, 2xINF, MIL, Fi-2, 2xLND-2, 2xPi, Finish 2 Sub; No BP saved
It 8+0; INF, Repair Calio Dulia, Garibaldi, Pola
Ja 15+0: ENG, 2xTER, 2xCVP, Pi, Finish Junyo, Hiyo Repair Atago No BP saved

Germans build 7-4 white print INF, 6-3 INF, Hamburg MIL 6 pt rng 4 and 4 pt rng 6 Ju 97 D & R (last land 2s), 6 pt rng 3 ftr (Bf109 F04), 10-5 SS white print MECH, 5 pt 5-3 Sub and 3 pt 6-3 Sub;
Italians build 5-4 INF (last INF);
Japanese build Harbin and Souel TER, and 1-4 ENG, 3-5 size 4 CVP and 3-2 size 2 CVP.

Ch: 5+1; 2xGAR, CAV XX, save one BP;
CW: 25+0: 2xMOT, 2xFi-2, NAV-4, 3xPi, complete Implacable;
US: 31+0; INF, GAR, FI-2, CVP-1, 2xPi, Finish AMPH, Finish Iowa, Repair Nelson, Repair Perth, Start 2xTRS, CVL, Finish 2 Sub;
SU: 16+0; ARM, INF (last INF), ENG, Fi-2, Pi.

Chinese build 4-1 GAR and 5-1 Com GAR (last GAR), and 1-5 CAV XX
CW build 7-5 MOT and 6-4 NZ MOT, 6 pt range 5 Spitfire VB and 5 pt range 6 Hurricane IIC, and a Sunderland
US builds 5-3 INF and 6-1 GAR (last GAR), 4 pt P39D. (Can you say reserve pool for the rest of the game? Yes!), 3-4 size five SBD-5. It will shrink in 1942. Subs were 4 pt 5-2 and 2 pt 6-3. TRSs were 4-3 and 5-4 Transport, last TRS. CVL was the Belleau Wood.
SU built 9-5 white print ARM, 6-3 white print INF (last INF), and 5 pt range 3 MIG-1. At least its a fighter that belongs in the same sky as the German ones.

Allies support Spain! US entry roll 4; a two is added to the Ge/It entry pool.

Ge/It entry 46; Ge/It Tension 21; Chance of DOW 50%
Ja entry 41; Ja Tension 30; Chance of DOW 20% (but will go to 40% when US gets fleet in Pearl.)

Here are next turn's reinforcements:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 159
RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR - 1/3/2014 2:49:43 PM   
Courtenay

I was clearly tired last night when I wrote the last AAR; I left out the most important part.

The US put another four in the Ja entry pool. They then picked "Relocate Fleet to Pearl Harbor. They rolled a 6 for tension, just low enough to move a chit. The chit that moved was the four! They then picked "Resources to USSR", which was probably a mistake, but they got away with it, rolling a ten, for no chit move. Only at this point did I take a good look at the "It's War" chart, and did not make another pick. The US wants a little more tension in the Ge/IT pools, but absolutely does not in the Japanese pool. The Axis was lucky that big chit moved into the Japanese tension pool.

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 160
RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR - 1/3/2014 3:54:10 PM   
markb50k

Keep in mind that if you want a bit lower tension, you could attempt to declare war. If you pass then great! if you don't you get to remove a chit from entry and tension. At this stage, that tension removal is most important as you can more easily build back entry

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 161
RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR - 1/3/2014 4:54:28 PM   
Courtenay

At the moment the Allies don't mind where the tension is in the Japanese pool. They just can't let it go any higher. The US could declare war this impulse on Germany -- they have a fifty percent chance -- but I hate fifty percent chances. They always seem to work about one time in three. A tension of 30 is fine for the Japanese; A little bit more entry, and the US will have a 70% of declaring war (6 + 1 for China.) Actually, the Allies need four more in the Japanese pool (i.e add a three chit) or three more in the German pool (add a two chit.)

How lucky do the Americans feel? They have been getting great picks, but there is about an 80% of picking a two, and only a 55% of picking a three.

(in reply to markb50k)
Post #: 162
RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR - 1/3/2014 6:15:02 PM   
Courtenay

Initiative: Axis 4, Allies 4; Allies win.
Axis demands reroll: Axis 10, Allies 3. Axis wins.
Axis moves first.

M/J Axis #1: Weather 7: F, F, F, F, F, F.

The Italians attempt to repeat their success at Suez at Santandar, naval striking the two transports that were there. The Allies, though roll a 1 to the Italians 5, and the Allies cancel the combat.

The Germans ground strike everything in sight: Bilbao, Santandar, Madrid, and the resource hex south of Santandar and Bilbao. The CW intercept with a 6 point Spitfire; the Germans intercept with three fighters. The CW clears the bomber through, and the Spitfire goes down to a roll of 4. The pilot survived, though. The German bombers were impressively successful: Of six targets they flipped five of them, leaving the South African INF as the only organized Allied unit north of Madrid.

The Japanese put a unit in Chihkiang. This is what a Chinese offensive looks like -- none of that silly combat, just ooze forward. If the Axis had not won inititive, it would have worked. The Japanese have stated to pull units back to the coast, for war with the US. This leaves them alarmingly thin in places. However, they decide to keep the attack towards Kunming going; the units have finally gotten there, and they want to get out of the North Monsoon region before the weather turns bad.

The Germans have a decision to make. There is a fairly strong Allied force in the north of Spain. The Germans have three options:

1) Just try and contain it.
2) Attack Bilbao
3) Attack the resource hex, which can be put out of supply this impulse.

Letting the Allies stay on the continent strikes me as a really bad idea. The phrase "Spanish Ulcer" comes to mind.

The problem with attacking the resource hex is the Ebro river. Attacking a mountain is hard, but possible; attacking a mountain across a river starts getting into the realm of the absurd.

The attack on Bilbao is not a great attack, but it is not bad; it will take the city over half the time. Not much over, but over. Also, German intelligence has made a precise estimate of the number of CW battleships in the Bay of Biscay next impulse: one jillion. The attack on Bilbao will never get any better.

The Germans through in a three point bomber as ground support; it doesn't affect the odds much, but it helps. The Japanese throw in most of their land aircraft as ground support (three planes, six factors.) The Germans commit Rundstedt and the Japanese commit Yamamoto in support.

The Japanese assault is a success, capturing the hex, but at the cost of another Japanese corps.
If Yamamoto had not been committed, the Japanese would not have lost anyone, but would be fully flipped.

Here is the combat:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Courtenay -- 1/3/2014 7:15:17 PM >

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 163
RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR - 1/3/2014 6:53:55 PM   
Courtenay

By the way, there is a four point Chinese corps under that oil marker in Kunming. It makes a difference!

Churchill has the following to say about Franco:
quote:

He and his brave, efficient Army, guarded our left flank, and kept open our only line of retreat to the sea. Suddenly, without prior consultation, with the least possible notice, without the advice of his ministers and upon his own personal act, he sent a plemipotentiay to the German command, surrendered his Army, and exposed our whole fland and means of retreat.

I asked the House a week ago to suspend its judgment because the facts were not clear, but I do not feel that any reason now exists why we should not form our own opinions upon the pitiful episode. The surrender of the Spanish Army compelled the British at the shortest notice to cover a flank to the sea more that 30 miles in length.

[My apologies to WSC for appropriating his words, but they seemed remarkably appropriate.]

Here is the attack on Bilbao:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Courtenay -- 1/3/2014 7:54:38 PM >

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 164
RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR - 1/6/2014 1:33:35 AM   
Courtenay

M/J 41 Allied #2:

CW, Fr Naval, Ch land, US & SU combined.

The CW puts large numbers of battleships in the Bay of Biscay, Cape St Vincent, and the Western Med. Convoy protection is also done, but on a lesser scale. The CW starts to transfer a few ships back to the Pacific. I also start an operation with the CW division to restore Martinique to Allied control.

The TRS in Suez risks running through the Eastern Med (10% interception chance) to pick up the Cartegena MIL. The TRS in Singapore picks up the Kenyan TER. A 5-4 MOT and the 2-3 AA gun are in Cape St. Vincent. The ART that has been sitting in Dover is picked up, and is in the North Sea.

I had to redo the Allied naval move because of a bug when I undid a naval TRS move; the transported unit got duplicated, and when, at the end of the phase, one of the duplicates disappeared, it was the wrong one.

In Naval Combat, the Allies find the small Italian force in the Eastern Med with a 1, and the Italians roll a 7. The Italians lose Diaz and San Georgio was damaged, to no effect against the Allies. The next round, the Italians completely outroll the Allies, 2 to 10, but the Italians needed to roll a 1 to find the Allies. In the Western Med, the Allies also get a 1 to the Italians 7. Looking at the targets, they go after the Italian transport. (I just realize that I forgot to mention that the Italians risked a TRS to transport Graziani to Algeria. He is very useful there, but the Italians are about to pay a price.) The Allies have enough surprise points to cancel the air combat. They decide to leave the convoy points out of it. They get an X and 2Ds; the second D is redundant. The Italian TRS takes an X, and survives, but the D sinks it. Italian transport capacity in the Med was just cut in half. The second round, the Allies roll a 5, the Italians another 7. Third 7 this phase. This costs the Italians the two CPs in the Western Med. The third round, the Allies roll a 10. Aha, the Italians think, now is the chance for our air power to blast the Allies. The Italians roll a 9. A successful phase for the Allies.

The Chinese fall back towards Kunming, a unit flipping for lack of supply. The Communists move their CAV unit forward; it threatens a lot of cities and resources in central China, which the Japanese will have to defend somehow. The Chinese have no real ability to attack, but they can certainly take undefended territory.

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 165
RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR - 1/6/2014 3:15:29 AM   
Courtenay

M/J Axis #3: Weather 4: F, F, F, R, F, F

The Italians move out their fleet into the Western Med. They attempt a search, with the usual results. They move a cruiser down a box in the Eastern Med. If I understand the rules correctly, the Allies should have had a chance to fight a battle, but MWiF did not give them that opportunity. The Italians searched for the CW in the Western Med; no one found anyone.

The Germans do not attack the two CW corps SW of Santandar. Instead, they move to threaten Alexander. The Germans attack and overwhelm Madrid. The base combat was +20; the die roll of 5 was more than sufficient to kill the Spanish 5-3 defender. However, that unit did slow the Germans down before dying.

The Japanese have four corps stuck in the middle of the mountains of southern China that can not move without flipping unless the weather is fair. If these forces were somewhere useful, the Japanese could do something. Kunming is vulnerable, but the Japanese need some good weather to advance those units out. The Japanese took a land this impulse because the MAR had not yet reached its transport. Soon the Japanese are going to have to take a combined to get ready to fight the Americans. I had thought the Japanese were going to have to take a naval, but I just realized that the Japanese can move most of their fleet in one move, and then get the individual ships to their appropriate destinations in the return to base step. Amphibious invasions of Malaya, the NEI, and the Philippines can come just as well from southern China as anywhere else, since the Japanase are going to have to start from the South China Sea no matter what port the come from.

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 166
RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR - 1/6/2014 6:33:25 AM   
warspite1

Courtenay is it possible to have a few more pictures please? My minds eye is rubbish and it would make following this AAR much easier with more regular views of what is happening - even if its summary shots of theatres at the end of turns.

Thanks in advance

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/6/2014 7:33:58 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 167
RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR - 1/7/2014 3:20:08 PM   
Courtenay

Allied #4:
CW combined, Fr naval, Ch Land, US & SU combined

The British get the Art in the North Sea and the Cartegena MIL into Tangiers. The Commenwealth tried for a fight in the Eastern Med, and got it; however, the Italians out rolled them, 1 to 5. Because of the higher sea box, there were no surprise points, so it had to be a naval air combat. The British carrier plane, despite a +2 advantage, did the OlÉ defense, rolling an 11 and clearing the Italian NAV through. CW AA reduced the NAv from two to one, but the Italaian got one A, which they used to send the Furious home. Now the CW fleet in the western Med has no air cover. In the second round of combat, no one found anyone. Furious is a good description of the Admiralty's reaction to the Furious's retreat. In the Western Med, the Allies look and see that their fighters are outclassed by the Axis, who also have more naval air, so they refrain from initiating combat. Those battleships are useful out in the sea, and the CW don't want them to be sent home.

In land movement, the South African INF retreats back to Santander, to help Alexander defend. This leaves the Australian MOT flipped and alone, but it is in supply, so the British hope it will take some Germans with it. I invade Martinique with a division, and do not include the notional, since the only reason the Germans have it is a bug. I just realized that the Germans own St. Pierre and Miquelon. I will not let them get any advantage for this. I think all French territories, as opposed to minor countries, went to the Germans.

In China, the Communist CAV crosses the Tzu, and is threatening Hengyang and the resource between Hengyang and Changsha. The Japanese have no supply in this area, and only one unit to defend to locations. Reinforcements will be necessary.

Here is the position in Spain at the end of the Allied move. The battle for Spain is over; the battle for Gibraltar is about to begin, although the Allies are trying to put it off for as long as possible. The Germans also have to deal with the three Allied units around Santandar; the Germans can't just let an Allied force stay on the mainland.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Courtenay -- 1/7/2014 4:21:13 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 168
RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR - 1/7/2014 6:11:07 PM   
brian brian

nice screenshot, thanks. I love how Mussolini is late to the party.

I probably would have bailed on the game, myself, with US Entry like that. MWiF will have more of those sorts of games than WiF does.

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 169
RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR - 1/7/2014 8:19:03 PM   
Courtenay

By myself, I probably would have bailed, too. However, I asked people if they thought I should continue, and got to votes in favor of continuing, and none against, so I have continued. The German invasion of Spain has gone just about as well as it possibly could. However, US entry is US entry. Who know> I might not be able to make any rolls, and the US might not enter for a very long time.

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 170
RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR - 1/7/2014 8:24:45 PM   
Courtenay

M/J 41 Axis #5: Weather 3: R, F, F, St, R, F, imp advance 1, no modifier.
The Germans are glad they are not invading Russia right now.

Ge, It land, Ja combined.

There has been a flow of Axis units towards western Hungary. It had been the hope of the Axis to conquer Greece, and get Yugoslavia on their side. However, they have decided that that is not going to happen, so it time to conquer Yugoslavia. Yugoslavia will come into the war at some point, on some side, and the Axis wants it to happen on their schedule, not the Allies. Of course, if the Germans had known that they were going to have to invade Yugoslavia, they would have prefered to do it much earlier. However, they did not; they took a gamble, and it did not pay off.

The Japanese begin to get units in position for a DOW on the Allies.

The Japanese rail a militia into Hengyang from Canton. The Japanese now have almost no rear area security. The Japanese are not worried about a Chinese attack, even though their defense is only one; the Chinese would have to attack across the Hsiang, and the Japanese have some air power available. However, there is no doubt that, just by forcing the Japanese to deploy units to defend this area, the Chinese have scored a victory.

The Italians try to outflank Algiers to the south.

The Germans ground strike the forward CW Mech in Spain with their last unflipped Stuka, and the Luftwaffe's run of luck continues, as they flip the unit. The Germans can't get the MECH out of supply this impulse, but they have hopes. for next impulse, and certainly the one after that. The Germans also move up for a full eight corps attack on the Australian MECH. Eight to one would seem like good odds, but that mountain makes it a much iffier proposition. The attack goes in, and the Germans roll a 10. The Canadian MOT is destroyed, but the Germans lose a unit and have a lot of units flipped.

In reorganization, the Germans use their air transport and von Bock to reorganize two corps and their six point Stuka.

Here is a picture of the combat:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 171
RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR - 1/8/2014 2:39:44 AM   
Courtenay

M/J Allied #6:

CW, Ch, land, Fr Naval, US & SU combined

The French try and fight a naval action in the western Med. Search rolls were 9 and 6, to get the usual result.

The CW finds an undefended Axis factory to strat bomb: Turin. However, the crews are unimpressed at the idea of bombing Italy, rolling a two. I am not even sure they found Italy; those bombs may have landed in Switzerland.

The CW unloads its units at sea, an AA gun going into Gibraltar and a 5-4 MOT into Tangeirs. The ARM in Malaga retreats a hex, not wanting to get cut off. Gort moves inland from Algiers, also trying to avoid being cut off.

The Communists continue their "offensive" in Central China. Here are their positions. They could make a reasonable attack on Ichang, one the Japanese would make in an instant, but the Chinese can not take loses, and Ichang is not important enough for them to risk. Note the Japanese units stuck in the northern monsoon region, unable to move without flipping. That is four corps out of action, for at least two turns.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 172
RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR - 1/8/2014 3:41:55 AM   
jusi

Thanks for this interesting AAR (maybe I will invade Spain and try to get an Axis-controlled Med in my next solitaire game). It would be nice to see one or two map(s) of Africa, from Morocco to Suez if possible.

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 173
RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR - 1/8/2014 4:33:37 AM   
Courtenay

Thank you for your comment. This game is not a good example of a Spanish invasion, because the conquest of France went too slowly. The Germans would have liked to declare Vichy in M/J 40; then they collapse Vichy in J/A 40, and should be able to invade Spain in either the second or third Axis impulse of J/A 40. If they do this, there is an excellent chance of taking the whole Med. Also, I have bungled the Italians. The highest priority for the Italians should have been to develop a credible amphibious threat. The fastest way to do this would have been to build the Italian MAR unit as quickly as possible. This gives the possibility of an operation against Syria or Palestine, giving a second front against Egypt.

(in reply to jusi)
Post #: 174
RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR - 1/8/2014 4:38:24 AM   
Courtenay

Axis #7 I made a mistake; one side took a far too optimistic view of an operation, and the dice were not kind. In retrospect, the operation should never have been attempted. I am very tempted to just cancel it, and continue. However, I could just accept the results, and that one side did something idiotic. What are people's opinions? Should I accept one side having done something stupid, or should I go back and redo things? Your opinions are welcomed!

(No, I did not say which side made the mistake, what the mistake was, or what the effects were.)

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 175
RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR - 1/8/2014 6:21:27 AM   
Majorball68

quote:

ORIGINAL: Courtenay

Axis #7 I made a mistake; one side took a far too optimistic view of an operation, and the dice were not kind. In retrospect, the operation should never have been attempted. I am very tempted to just cancel it, and continue. However, I could just accept the results, and that one side did something idiotic. What are people's opinions? Should I accept one side having done something stupid, or should I go back and redo things? Your opinions are welcomed!

(No, I did not say which side made the mistake, what the mistake was, or what the effects were.)

Got to live with the results

Its too easy in solitaire to change the rolls to suit or have second thoughts after the event. Would you have second thoughts had the die roll gone the right way?

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 176
RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR - 1/10/2014 6:00:09 PM   
hazmaxed

I, for one, enjoy reading your AAR, so if canceling the failed op will make the AAR last longer, please cancel it and continue! (Selfish me.) I'm working on my own solitaire Global War game, as well as a solitaire Decline and Fall game. Reading your AAR has helped me to learn (or re-learn) a few things. In particular, the possible consequences of both sides' actions regarding US entry.

There is no overkill. There is only "open fire" and "reloading."

(in reply to Majorball68)
Post #: 177
RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR - 1/10/2014 9:35:13 PM   
Courtenay

M/J Axis #7: Weather 4, F, F, F, R, F, F
The Stuck japanese units are stil stuck.

Ge land, It and Ja combined

The Japanese start to move units into position to attack the western powers. J/A is the worst possible time to make an attack, though, as there is a good chance that there will be storm in the Northern Monsoon, preventing amphibious assaults. Remember, last year saw nothing but storms J/A, although that was extreme.

The Italians attempt a naval combat in the western Med, relying on the superiority of their fighters. The Italians roll a 3, the Allies a 5. Both sides found each other. In air to air combat, the CW looks at a 3 ptn carrier fighter, and a 5 pt twin engine bomber, and puts the carrier plane in front.

In the first round, the CW rolls an 11, the Italians a 3. The Italians get a AX, and decide to kill the CVP rather than the CW NAV. In the second round, the CW demonstrates consistency, rolling another 11, clearing the second Italian NAV through. The Italians roll a 14, DA; the CW elects to abort its NAV. In the third round, the Beaufighter rolls a 6, aborting the Italian fighter. The fighter rolls a 9, for effectively no effect. In AA, the CW rolls a 2 on lowest 1 of four. The Italians get 2 Ds. They bomb the Ark Royal, and damage it. The CW puts the second D on the Spanish CL Navarra; to everyone's surprise, the Navarra evades the bombs, rolling a 10 with a 9 damage rating.

At this point, I went into a trance. With no fighter cover versus a Beaufighter, the Italians should have given up. Instead, they stuck around, and actually found the Allies, with a roll of 5. The Allies, however, rolled a one, so even the the zero box found the Italians. There was Spitfire in the zero box. The Allies ignore the fact that the Italians have naval bombers and the Allies don't; they pick a naval air combat. The Allies rolled high, and killed both a NAV and pilot. The Italians don't do anything back. Insanely, the Italians stick around, and the second roll costs them their other NAV and another pilot. There are no more planes. No no one finds anyone for the third round of naval combat. Eight build points are by no means fatal, but the Axis needs the NAVs right now; they are what are needed to put Gibraltar out of supply, without which it is very hard to take. This stupidity was what had me asking myself what was I thinking. The conclusion I came to was that I wasn't.

The Japanese strat bomb Kunming, rolling a nine, killing a production point and a saved oil.

The Germans ground strike Santander with their newly reorganized Stuka, and flip the South African corps. The Germans attack the two Allied corps in Santandar. It is not a very high odds attack but both CW units are flipped, and the Germans roll a 17; Alexander and the South African corps both die, with no loss or flipping on the German side.

von Leeb reorganizes the Stuka.

(in reply to markb50k)
Post #: 178
RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR - 1/11/2014 11:33:37 PM   
Courtenay

M/J Allied #8:

CW combined, Fr Naval, Ch land, US & SU combined

The CW puts convoy points in both the Eastern and Western Med. The point is to give redundancy to the Gibraltar supply line. The CW expects to start losing convoy points here, but if it helps them hold Gibraltar, they are willing to pay the price.

Naval combats in the Med have no result; everyone rolled high.

The CW pulls their forces in Spain directly in front of Gibraltar.

The Communists move up in China, putting their ART next to an unsupplied Ichang. They will get another unit there next time they move. If the Communists manage to roll a 2, the Chinese might make the second Allied attack of the game.

Turn end roll 2, turn ends. This was unexpected, and the Allies are very happy it happened. If they had known it was going to happen, they could have gotten their trapped MECH back in supply, but right now short turns benefit the Allies. The siege of Gibraltar should be interesting. (Unless the Germans roll another 17, in which case it will be over with fast.)

Here is the position in China at the start of the J/A 41 turn. Reinforcements have been added; the Kunming MIL and a GAR are under the oil in Kunming, and a GAR is under the oil in Chungking.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 179
RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR - 1/11/2014 11:43:49 PM   
Courtenay

And here is position in southern Spain and northwest Africa at the start of J/A 41. The defense of Gibraltar is shown in the flyout. There are eleven Axis corps and three HQ in northern Spain, mostly around Santandar. Most will move out as rapidly as possible.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI