Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Babes Update Guide

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Babes Update Guide Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Babes Update Guide - 11/25/2013 9:16:53 PM   
Symon

Babes Update Guide

Works for Babes and also other scenarios that have scenario (slot) numbers greater than 25.

Warning, this is the easy part. One should read the next post for more complete information.

1. Save your present game.
2. Exit WiTPAE all the way to desktop.
3. Put the new scenario into the game folder:
. . . . Only 3 files have changed data, wpaxxx.dat, wpdxxx.dat and wplxxx.dat, so save the originals so you can recover in case something screws up.
4. Restart WiTPAE.
5. Select and load saved scenario. During load, you will see this message. Click ‘yes’ and in a second or two, you should see a pop-up message that says “update confirmed”.

Attachment (1)

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
Post #: 1
RE: Babes Update Guide - 11/25/2013 9:17:45 PM   
Symon

Every update is different, depending on which dat files were modified. Some dat files update smoothly and easily. Others do not. For the latest babes scenario update set, the air and device (wpaxxx.dat and wpdxxx.dat) files update smoothly and easily. The locations (wplxxx.dat) file is one of those that do not. The new LI and refinery updates are in a certain place in the locations file. These data will NOT update to existing (ongoing) game files. This is because the economics engine is separate and independent, and the calculation basis is set on the first save of the scenario, and also because of their "secondary" placement in the Base panel. Here’s why.

In the scenario editor, there’s two parts to the panels: one part is “native” data; the other part is “pointer” data. Native data is cool; pointer data is a nightmare.

Native data (sometimes called primary placement data) is the stuff that goes into the top half of each panel. It’s the stuff that has “name” buttons or check boxes, stuff like that. It’s data that is unique and specific to each dat file.

Pointer data (sometimes called secondary placement data) is the stuff that goes into the list of Wpn fields in the bottom half of the panel. It’s pointer data because it comes from another dat file and the Wpn list is just a list of pointers that point to places in the other file. Note: The entire Wpn section is secondary data; the list, the numbers, ammo, turrets, facing, what-have-you.

Native data updates nicely, but secondary data is problematic. A savegame has an image of the original scenario and a pointer to the scenario file. When a scenario with modified data appears, and you allow updating, the new data is captured, but ships, airgroups, locations (things that rely on secondary data), that are ALREADY in-game, don’t update secondary data unless and until they are “processed”.

Processing means that secondary data is what it was until an event happens that makes the engine consult the database for something new, like a new ship/group/unit entering the game, with no prior image. Also, a ship or group or unit can upgrade (i.e., change the present image to a new one from the database). Remember the sub split-tube thing couple years ago? Newly arriving subs were ok, but pre-existing subs were a mess until they upgraded or went to a shipyard for something? Same thing – no update until processing.

In this specific scenario update set:
Changes to the Device file are all native data, so it updates nicely and easily.
Changes to the Aircraft file are all native data, so it updates nicely and easily.
Changes to the Locations file are all secondary data, so they won’t update until “processed”. But, locations data of this particular kind are not “processable”, so the changes won’t update except for a restart.

Hope this helps. JWE

Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 2
RE: Babes Update Guide - 11/25/2013 10:23:44 PM   
spence

So just to be sure: for a completely new game all the files will update just fine (and previously started games will not update the refinery/light industry data but will do OK updating the other stuff).

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 3
RE: Babes Update Guide - 12/9/2013 3:51:35 PM   
quertice

my opponent may haven't posted in the the right place, so i link here his(our) question http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3491344

help please, I have to land some marines to honshu beaches

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 4
RE: Babes Update Guide - 12/9/2013 5:21:10 PM   
Symon

quote:

ORIGINAL: qwetry
my opponent may haven't posted in the the right place, so i link here his(our) question http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3491344

I just now answered cohimbra on the main forum. You should read it too. Bottom line, as I advised him, is just continue playing.

Certain scenario files don't update as smoothly and nicely as others. So players will get some odd screen shows and perhaps some odd upgrades. But your opponent isn't getting any advantages, except a slightly better anti-armor from the unanticipated upgrade of '41 SNLF squads to '43 SNLF squads. That's about it.

I would keep right on going, and enjoy your game. Ciao. J

[ed] Hope your marines do ok on the Honshu beaches. Sounds really scary!!

< Message edited by Symon -- 12/9/2013 6:23:27 PM >

Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to quertice)
Post #: 5
RE: Babes Update Guide - 12/9/2013 6:02:37 PM   
quertice

quote:

ORIGINAL: Symon

quote:

ORIGINAL: qwetry

I just now answered cohimbra on the main forum. You should read it too. Bottom line, as I advised him, is just continue playing.

Certain scenario files don't update as smoothly and nicely as others. So players will get some odd screen shows and perhaps some odd upgrades. But your opponent isn't getting any advantages, except a slightly better anti-armor from the unanticipated upgrade of '41 SNLF squads to '43 SNLF squads. That's about it.

I would keep right on going, and enjoy your game. Ciao. J

[ed] Hope your marines do ok on the Honshu beaches. Sounds really scary!!

thanks for reply ok, we'll keep going the game, marines do not fear any japanese '43 or '41 bow or stick, and not even wholly fortified honshu shores

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Babes Update Guide Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI