Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Attack odds

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> The War Room >> Attack odds Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Attack odds - 11/23/2013 8:49:22 PM   
Numdydar

From what I have read, 4-1 odds or higher are considered good. But after messing around with the game, these are hard to get a lot of times. So do you just not attack and arange things so you can get these odds or do you attack at lower odds like 1-1, 3-2, or 2-1 and just take the outcomes so you can keep things moving?
Post #: 1
RE: Attack odds - 11/23/2013 8:59:05 PM   
brian brian

Depends on what impulse it is. Closer to the end of the turn, you can take more lower odds attacks. Earlier in the turn, you want to go with a fewer attacks but at higher odds, so you are less likely to be disorganized and your units can accomplish more in future impulses.

And with the 2d10, many things besides factors that go into the land combat odds calculation come into play; i.e. die-roll modifiers. Each +1 on the die is 1/2 of an odds level. Attacking a single disorganized unit basically gives you one odds column shift up because of the +2. On the 1d10, it would only be a +1 to the dice, but that mostly works out the same on the combat tables.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 2
RE: Attack odds - 11/23/2013 9:26:08 PM   
Klydon

Sort of what Brian said, but also add in there is a big difference between the assault and blitz tables. 4-1 for blitz is usually pretty good compared to what you may wind up with the assault table.

Part of it is also what you have lined up to take losses. If you have a cheap infantry (like a division, militia, etc) or two, then a lower odds attack may look more attractive. If you are in a place where unit density is low (like the desert or China for example), then you have to consider the worst case scenario (like how do things look like if I lose 2 units).

I have extremely limited experience with the 2D10 table, but from what I have seen of it, I don't like it at all.

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 3
RE: Attack odds - 11/23/2013 9:36:35 PM   
Ur_Vile_WEdge

If you're playing 1D10, then a good rule of thumb is that 2:1+1 will kill your enemies more than you'll lose guys.

So if you're willing to accept a slow, grinding advance, 2-3:1 is "good enough". What you need higher odds for, is a rapid advance, the sort where you break through and stay face up doing so.

But especially in France, you probably can't get those kinds of odds without burning an o-Chit, and you really don't need them. It's only 3 hexes from the Belgian border to Paris, so 2-3 combat wins can get you to the gates, and you should have enough reserves in a normal game to just move up other guys when the attackers flip.

So yes, I will often accept lower odds attacks, but as with everything else, what counts as a "good" attack is dependent on your strategic situation; how many losses you can afford to take, and how quickly you need to move.

The 4:1 thing, at least when I was using it as a rule of thumb, is mostly for the opening phases of the Blitz into the Soviet Union. There, it's easier to surround and blast units with air power, and you need to advance much further to get to anything vital, and you're in a hurry turn wise; wait too long, and the Soviets start doing things you don't like such as railing away factories, building all their mils, and otherwise making your life difficult. Once you're committed, it's really to the factory line or bust, and that's a long way away. So you need to stay face up, and that means fewer high odds attacks.

But if you're say, charging forward in France, or you're the Americans attacking in Italy, or the Japanese trying to break the Chinese mountain lines (Note, this is with the old maps, I'm still green with the newer ones which make for more maneuvering war), you can often do quite well with lower odds attacks.

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 4
RE: Attack odds - 11/23/2013 10:07:51 PM   
vicberg

2D10 is the great system. I highly encourage people to try it. Much more robust than the 1D10 system.

3-1 is a good attack on the blitz chart at least for 2D10. Need a 7 or higher with 2 dice (I believe, I'm not look at the 2D10 chart) in order to at least get a retreat. 3-1 is easy with with ARM/MECH against a clear hex in fair weather with the armor bonuses. I'll take a 2-1 against the Chinese with a flip or two from ground strikes. Otherwise, a 4-1 on the assault chart is dangerous unless you can take the losses or are desperate, especially in bad weather.

(in reply to Ur_Vile_WEdge)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> The War Room >> Attack odds Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI