Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Watching the videos now

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Watching the videos now Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Watching the videos now - 11/10/2013 2:11:11 AM   
goulash

Watching these vids is getting me in a right giddy state of anticipation ready to tackle this game and gets through the learning curve 3:10 am and still wide awake watching them.

I feel like a little kid again

Just want to say great vids and by the looks of what I have seen upto now, I don't think I will regret buying this game. Good work Devs.

I do think these vids should be placed onto youtube to attract more potential players. As you can see from Baloogans videos and the effect they are doing for Command air naval.

Post #: 1
Tutorials Worth Going Through - 11/11/2013 3:28:42 PM   
Omnius

I found the tutorials very helpful in getting up to speed with MWiF. I started with the video ones which helped ease me into understanding how much of the player interface worked as well as various aspects of the game system. Then I went through all the other tutorials, including the interactive ones. That really helped me get a better feel for how to actually manipulate forms and screen layouts, without having to ask a stupid question like why can't I make the screen scroll.

The interactive tutorials were good for helping learn how the program handles various tasks like movement and combat plus production and setup. I found a few errors in the interactive tutorials but overall they were very helpful in getting up to speed. I'm now playing my first game of Barbarossa, get to finish up the first turn today and hopefully the whole 5 turn scenario. Then on to Guadalcanal. As tempting as it is to play the 1939 Global War scenario or the 1940 Missed the Bus one I'm finding it prudent to play a smaller, simpler scenario better for learning how stuff works before moving on to the big ones.

The one interactive tutorial problem I remember distinctly was not being able to do an amphibious landing in Norway, no matter which unit I picked they would not invade Kristiansand or any other hex in Norway but I had one capture Danzig although I never got a chance to actually do that combat while being able to do all others planned for that tutorial.

Omnius

(in reply to goulash)
Post #: 2
RE: Tutorials Worth Going Through - 11/11/2013 3:32:45 PM   
Neilster

The invasion thing could be because of the all-sea hexside stuff. That's a tricky rule.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Omnius)
Post #: 3
RE: Tutorials Worth Going Through - 11/11/2013 3:49:10 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Omnius

I found the tutorials very helpful in getting up to speed with MWiF. I started with the video ones which helped ease me into understanding how much of the player interface worked as well as various aspects of the game system. Then I went through all the other tutorials, including the interactive ones. That really helped me get a better feel for how to actually manipulate forms and screen layouts, without having to ask a stupid question like why can't I make the screen scroll.

The interactive tutorials were good for helping learn how the program handles various tasks like movement and combat plus production and setup. I found a few errors in the interactive tutorials but overall they were very helpful in getting up to speed. I'm now playing my first game of Barbarossa, get to finish up the first turn today and hopefully the whole 5 turn scenario. Then on to Guadalcanal. As tempting as it is to play the 1939 Global War scenario or the 1940 Missed the Bus one I'm finding it prudent to play a smaller, simpler scenario better for learning how stuff works before moving on to the big ones.

The one interactive tutorial problem I remember distinctly was not being able to do an amphibious landing in Norway, no matter which unit I picked they would not invade Kristiansand or any other hex in Norway but I had one capture Danzig although I never got a chance to actually do that combat while being able to do all others planned for that tutorial.

Omnius

Invasions require the target hex to be controlled by the enemy. You cannot invade neutrals or friendly hexes. I believe Norway is neutral in all the saved games used in the interactive tutorials (but I could very well be wrong).

You should move the cursor over your target invasion hex and check the blue panel of the Main form. It will tell you to which sea areas the coastal hex is adjacent and have the words "no invasion" following those which cannot be invaded from the given sea area. If those words do not follow the name of a sea area, then invasion is possible from that sea area. Check out the hexes in Denmark; they cover the full range of hexes that can/cannot be invaded from the North Sea and the Baltic Sea.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Omnius)
Post #: 4
RE: Tutorials Worth Going Through - 11/11/2013 6:55:01 PM   
goulash

Jesus, I'm still only on vid tutorial number 9. Not even started the other stuff yet. This game is gonna batter my head for a while (a good thing)

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 5
RE: Tutorials Worth Going Through - 11/11/2013 7:28:02 PM   
FroBodine

I have not gotten to this interactive tutorial yet. Does it tell you to invade Norway? If so, is that a bug because you say you cannot invade Norway in the tutorials.

What is the proper way to complete this tutorial, please? Hopefully this will help others, including me, when we get to this one.

(in reply to goulash)
Post #: 6
RE: Tutorials Worth Going Through - 11/11/2013 7:36:49 PM   
wolf14455

Any chance we who havent bought(or about to buy next salary)can see some or all of the videos here?

SwedeWolf

I was called Lill Sputnik (Little sputnik) as a baby in 58-59

(in reply to FroBodine)
Post #: 7
RE: Tutorials Worth Going Through - 11/12/2013 12:09:21 AM   
Neilster

Unlikely. They're copyrighted and Matrix don't seem keen to have them escape to the public domain for now.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to wolf14455)
Post #: 8
RE: Tutorials Worth Going Through - 11/12/2013 4:05:28 AM   
Zorachus99

My buddy said he watched all the videos today and got some solid napping in.

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Watching the videos now Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI