Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Leaders?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Leaders? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Leaders? - 11/1/2013 2:35:08 AM   
wodin

Are Leaders\Commanders modeled at all in the game?

Post #: 1
RE: Leaders? - 11/1/2013 3:04:41 AM   
Ur_Vile_WEdge

They are in the Leaders in Flames expansion, which I don't think MWiF covers, at least not in the initial release.

LiF had kind of a bad reception too, so I don't know how high that is on the priority list.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2
RE: Leaders? - 11/1/2013 3:08:49 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

It's an optional rule that MWIF doesn't presently support.

As written the presence of a Leader counter gives a stack of units additional capabilities beyond what they would normally have. I forget all the particulars, but from a programming point of view it struck me to be a nightmare. Numerous rules could be violated because there was a leader counter present. That means the code for all those rules would need additional checks to see if leaders were present, and if the player controlling the leader wanted to make use of it capabilities (or not).

There are 102 different 'abilities' and each of the 50+ leader counters has its own set. Abilities affect an enormous number of rules: being able to ignore ZOC, being able to advance an extra hex on a 'breakthrough' (3 instead of 2), improving the defensive strength of units within range (e.g., 3 hexes) that are defending behind a river, when a corps sized loss is taken within range of a leader, a replacement militia or garrison unit can immediately appear at a friendly factory within range of the leader, ...

As I said, there are 102 of these, each creating more code throughout the game, primarily in the movement and combat phases.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 3
RE: Leaders? - 11/1/2013 3:10:41 AM   
brian brian

The HQ counters, the most important counters in the game, all have Army-Group level general's names on them, and have Infantry or Armor designations and factors that have a basic historical correlation. So Manstein is the best German HQ (an ARMored one), but his counter just says "Manstein" on it, not Army Group South.

(in reply to Ur_Vile_WEdge)
Post #: 4
RE: Leaders? - 11/1/2013 3:13:38 AM   
wodin

Sounds great to me.. though I suppose if you do implement it it's a long way down the road.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

It's an optional rule that MWIF doesn't presently support.

As written the presence of a Leader counter gives a stack of units additional capabilities beyond what they would normally have. I forget all the particulars, but from a programming point of view it struck me to be a nightmare. Numerous rules could be violated because there was a leader counter present. That means the code for all those rules would need additional checks to see if leaders were present, and if the player controlling the leader wanted to make use of it capabilities (or not).

There are 102 different 'abilities' and each of the 50+ leader counters has its own set. Abilities affect an enormous number of rules: being able to ignore ZOC, being able to advance an extra hex on a 'breakthrough' (3 instead of 2), improving the defensive strength of units within range (e.g., 3 hexes) that are defending behind a river, when a corps sized loss is taken within range of a leader, a replacement militia or garrison unit can immediately appear at a friendly factory within range of the leader, ...

As I said, there are 102 of these, each creating more code throughout the game, primarily in the movement and combat phases.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Leaders? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI