From: I'm from New Hampshire; I only work in cyberspace
I escort Troop convoys only & use AutoConvoy to the vast majority of my ports. Important non-Troop convoys might get an escort. I think of it as the cost of doing business - overhead.
There's no statue of me at King's Point, you betcha.
Well, I play for VPs.
Well, so do I. Now, I haven't been beyond 29 May 42 in any game I've started, human or AI. I don't know, I can't state things as actual observations, but, what I have seen as the Allied player is that the Allies haven't enough to escort all that might be wished.
* I use AutoConvoy a lot. I give the AC system about eight DDs in SF and some KVs and a DE or two in Colombo. That's it, that's all AC gets for escorts. What I have seen is a whole lotta dribs and drabs for AC TFs - two or more merchies is unusual. It uses the escorts for some TFs. So I end up with a buncha AC TFs all over the sea lanes. My attrition, afaics, with the penny packets has been minimal. So the IJs end up sinking a 5k Supply manifest. My reaction is, "So what?" I got plenty. You gotta sink a whole megaton of merchie hulls to make a serious difference in VPs, I would think.
* At the same time, I am assembling large long-legged convoys, four, six, eight, a dozen merchies in the TF. Supplies & Fuel. I'm starting to integrate some Resource convoys, but, afaics, there's not a pressing need for these as the Allies - useful, but not a high priority. Nonetheless, I fill 'em up and send them out. Yes, there will be losses - but, so far, my losses have been (to me) surprisingly low. Far from negligible, but not a major concern.
* I absolutely escort every troop convoy, adequately, or more, if available. I don't think I've lost LCUs yet to IJ torps. An important non-troop convoy will get an appropriate escort.
* I send the big convoys to the same places where my ACs are going - I've got almost all ports in the AC system, anyway. So, I send 20K, 50K Supplies to places for further distribution or to pile up in big ports. My Fuel convoys are more like 25 - 35K.
The losses really ain't that bad. The IJs have to find 'em, first, and it's a big map. Stuff gets there - more than adequately.
My ports and approaches are well patrolled. AMs are usually Mine Sweeping - the rest usually ASW.
Anyhow, that's how I see it. Afaics, early war, I ain't got enough ASW vessels to really escort oceanic convoys.
"Goddamn it, they're gittin' away!!"
- unknown tincan sailor near the end of Leyte Gulf, when Kurita retired