Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ground combat Question for Devs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Ground combat Question for Devs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ground combat Question for Devs - 10/22/2013 4:52:07 AM   
navwarcol

Mike, D, Rag, et al... I am sure you remember in our old Harpoon talks that I spent a lot of time messing with ground units, to try to get some type of ground capability (other than just rather dumb targets for naval/air assets).
This game actually seems to be an improvement in that area, with ground units that can move, and fire. The armored/mech units even do some damage. However the infantry units do not seem to. (Yes, always a complaint, lol, I know) The infantry show a lot of hits if engaging other infantry, but show no inflicted damage, and then run out of ammunition almost instantly. For the kick of it, I added mortar mounts to the infantry, but that had just the opposite effect of whomever gets the first shot, being able to destroy the enemy infantry with ease. Is there any way to increase the lethality of the infantry weapons..the 7.62 mounts that they mostly already have, and increase their amount of ammunition, allowing for them to take out other infantry, perhaps making the mounts only able to engage other ground units, to prevent them from becoming an unrealistic threat to naval or air units? Also any way to add RPG/Panzerschrek/Javelin etc hand held anti-armor/anti-building... to make recreating the ground aspect of some small unit actions such as the Falklands? I think that I saw this as something on tap, but for the life of me, I cannot seem to find that post now.
Thanks
Ron

< Message edited by navwarcol -- 10/22/2013 4:57:40 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Ground combat Question for Devs - 10/22/2013 4:56:51 AM   
jomni

Played around with combat between several battalions. Lethality is not the issue. Ammo is the issue. Each just has 20 rounds. They will run out of ammo in an hour. What is needed is an automatic resupply routine for land units and Ai. Imagine setting up an ammo Depot (already in the DB with fillable magazine) behind the lines and land units out of ammo will go there to rearm.

I feel the casualty rates are alright. Increasing Lethality will make casualty rates unrealistic. Focus on the ammo problem.

< Message edited by jomni -- 10/22/2013 5:01:47 AM >

(in reply to navwarcol)
Post #: 2
RE: Ground combat Question for Devs - 10/22/2013 4:58:41 AM   
jomni

Also I like the idea that the platoons should be armed with AT and AA. By the way, there are dedicated AA Inf (manpad) in the DB.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 3
RE: Ground combat Question for Devs - 10/22/2013 5:00:47 AM   
navwarcol

That may be the issue, is just the ammo... I just never saw any damage inflicted, even switching to the other side to check... still using as part of the pirate scenario, and also noticed that the terrorist platoon was more heavily armed than any NATO or American platoon... but yes, sat them at point blank range, saw the messages that they were hitting and being hit, but no damage reported.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 4
RE: Ground combat Question for Devs - 10/27/2013 7:22:01 AM   
navwarcol

bump

(in reply to navwarcol)
Post #: 5
RE: Ground combat Question for Devs - 10/27/2013 9:02:41 AM   
goodwoodrw

I think it is ammo I have mention this the developers forum. The issue is 7.62 don't appear to have a DP rating. I have fiddled around with mounts and weapons records.I have exchanged the 20 round mags for 300 round mags, no visible effect. I have added Milan, Stingers and 81mm mortar mounts to infantry Pls, a staggering effect. 81mm kill tanks, other infantry Pls and pirate boats. Stingers kill Helos, nothing like a self supported infantry Pl. other issues are with demo charges release too far from the target they take way too long to hit the target, release them too close, your platoon become a suicide mob.

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to navwarcol)
Post #: 6
RE: Ground combat Question for Devs - 10/27/2013 3:10:59 PM   
navwarcol

Yes, I am quite sure it is ammo right now, having added much more of it, and still do not show damage despite showing a hundred hits when I added the 200/200 to each "mount".
Is there any way that we can, on a scenario-by-scenario basis, do the same as we can change other things in the database, (change to give the 7.62 "mounts" some more punch).... even .1 dp, etc? Also, the units themselves seem to not have a dp value... which seems strange, because they CAN be killed.. I have pounded them with armor, air strikes, or artillery (including naval warship guns).

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 7
RE: Ground combat Question for Devs - 10/27/2013 3:20:59 PM   
smudge56

I think they are looking at it but it's not high on the list at the moment.

(in reply to navwarcol)
Post #: 8
RE: Ground combat Question for Devs - 10/27/2013 3:22:31 PM   
mikmykWS

Hi Guys,

I'll look and see if I can make any interim fixes but we've been straightforward about our initial ground combat model being very light. We plan to look at a much deeper land combat model further down the line.

Thanks!

Mike

< Message edited by mikmyk -- 10/27/2013 3:34:07 PM >

(in reply to navwarcol)
Post #: 9
RE: Ground combat Question for Devs - 10/27/2013 3:34:02 PM   
navwarcol

I appreciate that Mike, Blighty, et al. I guess my main question here is if there is any way that I am not seeing, where WE can do this in the db, through the scenario editor, even understanding that it would only apply in the specific scenario, the same as the others... I just cannot find a way to add "punch" to a weapon though.
I do NOT want you all having to take the time to do this, just for my little scenario

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 10
RE: Ground combat Question for Devs - 3/27/2014 8:32:18 AM   
edfathead

Am I correct in assuming this means there are 4 soldiers each with a pair of Binoculars & a 7.62 Machine gun with 20 clips of 20 rounds? If so then why do they only have 1 set of eyeballs?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to navwarcol)
Post #: 11
RE: Ground combat Question for Devs - 3/27/2014 11:31:11 AM   
Jakob Wedman

I think of it as four squads with one machine gun and one binocular each.

The four machine guns are the major weapons of the platoon (small arms are not implemented) and the four binoculars are the major sensors. All undestroyed units will have a Mk1 Eyeball and since detection/classification isn't random there's no need for more than one.

(in reply to edfathead)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Ground combat Question for Devs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI