Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

For all the newcomers (and the old ones too)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) - 10/21/2013 10:17:34 AM   
GreyJoy

I'd like to say to everyone of the newcomers and to the old ones who haven't tried it yet.... PLAY DABIGBABES MODs!

I have a Japanese pbem match against QBall that now has reached late feb 1944 (DBB version of scenario 2) - stacking limits on
I have another Allied pbem match against MrKane reaching mid 1943 - reduced cargo and stacking limits on

And I can tell you: everything works perfectly smooth. The stacking limits solve almost every problem connected to the land war and even China is defendable with them.
No more the allies can roam through Burma in 1943 (I've just lost 200k allied chaps in early 1943 there, so I know what I say ).
The air model is perfect once patched to the latest beta.
The game gets slower and more realistic with the reduced cargos.
The extended map is pretty AWESOME

There's really no way to keep on playing stock!

And now they are working on a new and more realistic Air model, with some more map evolutions in china so to avoid the usual China getting overrun by the end of 1942 (even if I think that with SL China remains defendable)

The DBB team is doing a great job...really. Everyone should give DBB a try. A suggestion deep from the heart

Post #: 1
RE: For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) - 10/21/2013 11:44:14 AM   
HansBolter

Couldn't agree more.

Even for those of us playing the AI.

IronBaabes C with extended map and stacking limits has completely transformed my game play.

No more mega stack deathstars, either land or air.

Hans

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 2
RE: For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) - 10/21/2013 1:20:46 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Couldn't agree more.

IronBaabes C with extended map and stacking limits has completely transformed my game play ...

Even vs. the AI?
Tell em more.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 3
RE: For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) - 10/21/2013 3:42:50 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

I recently opened a topic about DaBabes and AI

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3414776

answer from developers were:
against Japanese AI: relatively OK
Allied AI: no-no

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 4
RE: For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) - 10/21/2013 3:57:26 PM   
Yaab

If you play against AI, you have to stick to DaBigBabes A or DaBabesLite, so you don't get the goodies from the C version (reduced cargo, hex stacking limits etc.)

Also, RHS mod is impressive, especially its "Ostfront" China.

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 5
RE: For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) - 10/21/2013 4:17:50 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

I'd like to say to everyone of the newcomers and to the old ones who haven't tried it yet.... PLAY DABIGBABES MODs!

I have a Japanese pbem match against QBall that now has reached late feb 1944 (DBB version of scenario 2) - stacking limits on
I have another Allied pbem match against MrKane reaching mid 1943 - reduced cargo and stacking limits on

And I can tell you: everything works perfectly smooth. The stacking limits solve almost every problem connected to the land war and even China is defendable with them.
No more the allies can roam through Burma in 1943 (I've just lost 200k allied chaps in early 1943 there, so I know what I say ).
The air model is perfect once patched to the latest beta.
The game gets slower and more realistic with the reduced cargos.
The extended map is pretty AWESOME

There's really no way to keep on playing stock!

And now they are working on a new and more realistic Air model, with some more map evolutions in china so to avoid the usual China getting overrun by the end of 1942 (even if I think that with SL China remains defendable)

The DBB team is doing a great job...really. Everyone should give DBB a try. A suggestion deep from the heart

Viberpol and I are winding down our campaign-started over four years ago when AE was brand new. I really look forward to playing DaBabes for my next one.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 6
RE: For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) - 10/21/2013 4:22:15 PM   
Mundy

I've been happy with DBB-C with stacking limits.  It really changes how you play.  Places like Noumea aren't an industrial strength dumping ground for US troops anymore.  In my new game, we're also trying the China slowdown mod.

Ed-

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 7
RE: For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) - 10/21/2013 5:05:04 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

If you play against AI, you have to stick to DaBigBabes A or DaBabesLite, so you don't get the goodies from the C version (reduced cargo, hex stacking limits etc.)

That is not true. I am currently at May 1st 1942 in a Babes Ironman C against the AI with extended map and stacking limits.

Hans

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 8
RE: For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) - 10/21/2013 5:10:33 PM   
Dili

Does DBB have city support unit, for city support unit i mean static support that should only occur due to city facilities?

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 9
RE: For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) - 10/21/2013 5:27:07 PM   
JocMeister

My second game is an DBB-L game. My only regret is not going all in and playing the C variant to get the new OOB and reduced cargo. Love the stacking limits and extended map. Having to build up multiple bases just to house all the troops goes a long way to slow the tempo down to more realistic levels.

I love it.

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 10
RE: For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) - 10/21/2013 5:46:17 PM   
Symon

Gosh. Really appreciate all the kind words and support for Babes. The new air stuff is almost finished. Think next, I’m really going to have to do a fully functional basic AI for BigBabes. Too many people like it and lots of them play the AI. Always did seem a bit unfair that they were left out.

Will just be the basic AI file. Won’t have all the 10-15 evil AndyMac alternatives, but will be adequately playable for both sides. Not hard, just tedious. Oh, well … Chris’mas co’ming …

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Symon -- 10/21/2013 5:48:47 PM >

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 11
RE: For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) - 10/21/2013 5:52:20 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Symon

Gosh. Really appreciate all the kind words and support for Babes. The new air stuff is almost finished. Think next, I’m really going to have to do a fully functional basic AI for BigBabes. Too many people like it and lots of them play the AI. Always did seem a bit unfair that they were left out.

Will just be the basic AI file. Won’t have all the 10-15 evil AndyMac alternatives, but will be adequately playable for both sides. Not hard, just tedious. Oh, well … Chris’mas co’ming …

Thank you, thank you , thank you, thank you....

I am playing Babes Ironman C with extended map and stacking limits and enjoying the differences, but the AI does not seem to be up to snuff and is doing some strange things that I'm having to go out of my way to avoid exploiting.

Any upgrades to the Babes AI would be greatly appreciated.

Hans

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 12
RE: For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) - 10/21/2013 5:57:41 PM   
witpqs

DaBabes 28-C here with optional stacking limits. Fantastic!

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 13
RE: For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) - 10/21/2013 5:59:06 PM   
witpqs

quote:

If I had a request to make, it would be to config those mission-specific optional load-outs for aircraft ordnance.

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 14
RE: For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) - 10/21/2013 6:00:45 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

quote:

Couldn't agree more.

IronBaabes C with extended map and stacking limits has completely transformed my game play ...

Even vs. the AI?
Tell em more.

Joe, my old pal from my UV days. I've noticed you lurking here lately.

I made the switch to Babes Iroman A two games ago and fell in love with the Babes LCU countermix. I don't think I'll ever back to stock. For my latest game I jumped to Babes Ironman C and added the extended map and stacking limits.

Stacking limits is a game changer, making this game way more realistic. I am only at May 1st, 1942 and can't say how the AI is abiding by, or ignoring stacking limits or if with my play setting of "hard" it ignores the detriments of over stacking. I have had to overstack temporarily in China to assault some large concentrations in cities.

The only apparent drawback may be the state of the AI. As mentioned by symon, it isn't up to speed and could use some tweaking. Even with that tweaking it still won't have the kind of gambits Andy Mac has added to his stock Ironman scenarios. Andy has some wicked gambits, but I just can't go back to the stock LCU countermix.

I'll likely keep playing Babes Iroman C so I can get a good feel for the changes imposed by stacking limits while holding out for symon's AI upgrade.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 10/21/2013 6:04:55 PM >

Hans

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 15
RE: For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) - 10/21/2013 6:01:44 PM   
Mundy

quote:

John, kind of a tekkie question for the plane stuff...

Is it safe to upgrade the plane stuff if/when it's out to a game in progress?

Thanks

Ed

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 16
RE: For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) - 10/21/2013 6:02:29 PM   
Symon

Oh, yeah. One little thing. The AI program routines don't recognize "map defined" stacking limits. It does recognize the hard coded "very small island" limits (6000 per side) but you should remember that the AI routines are "code" interactive, not "map data" interactive. AI won't recognize "map" stacking limits. But then, the AI doesn't game the system with 9000 pound gorilla deathstars either. The AI will have a bit of an advantage in those situations, but then, it needs all the help it can get.

Ciao. JWE

Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 17
RE: For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) - 10/21/2013 6:04:51 PM   
HansBolter

I kind of figured the AI probably would ignore the stacking limits, but having them imposed on me is what really matters.

We who play the AI give it all the help it can get.

Hans

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 18
RE: For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) - 10/21/2013 6:04:57 PM   
Symon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mundy
John, kind of a tekkie question for the plane stuff...

Is it safe to upgrade the plane stuff if/when it's out to a game in progress?

Thanks

Ed

It will be a technically seamlessly upgradeable file. Doing my best to avoid unanticipated consequences.

Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 19
RE: For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) - 10/21/2013 6:06:05 PM   
Mundy

Thanks.

Didn't want to miss out with a new game just getting started.

Ed-

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 20
RE: For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) - 10/21/2013 6:23:27 PM   
Symon

quote:

I kind of figured the AI probably would ignore the stacking limits, but having them imposed on me is what really matters.

We who play the AI give it all the help it can get.

You get top marks, Hans.

When ya dig deep, Babes is a learning tool. A human will have limitations that the AI doesn't have. So a human must plan better and be aware that things might not be same on the other side of the hill. Having limits imposed on "you" that may not obtain for your opponent, does tend to sharpen one's expectations, yeah?

Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 21
RE: For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) - 10/21/2013 6:28:34 PM   
Yaab

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

That is not true. I am currently at May 1st 1942 in a Babes Ironman C against the AI with extended map and stacking limits.

This is from the Babes site:
"The C scenario set has been developed for the express purpose of reducing operational tempo and straining transport capability to limits that correspond more closely to those experienced by the historical combatants. As such, these scenarios are for play by true logistical grognards. These scenarios depart from the standard AE game model to such an extent that no AI files are included in the Scen.zips; they would be functionaly irrelevant. And there is no QuietChina variant; it would be functionaly irrelevant.

The C scenario set is for head-to-head, or PBEM play. It is a resonable basis for development of short map/short time scenarios in a CPX environment.

So there's no AI files, no QuietChina files, And since it's for the grogs out there, there ain't no special download instructions. If ya want to play it, then download it, unzip it, grip it and rip it. You are on your own as to numbering, but we assume a certain degree of comprehension of simple computer systems."

I thought there were no AI files for DaBigBabes C.

I see you are playing Iron version of DaBigBabes C. Maybe the Iron version has the AI files?

< Message edited by Yaab -- 10/21/2013 6:38:26 PM >

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 22
RE: For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) - 10/21/2013 7:26:20 PM   
ny59giants

Playing DBB 30 vs Olorin which is stock Scenario 2 with stacking limits using expanded map. Great thing as I'm still learning how to get Allied counter invasion moving faster with bases from bases that have smaller stacking limits.

Newest version of Reluctant Admiral 6.2 has the reduced cargo capacity by 1/3. The hardest point so far there is memorizing the new capacity ship classes. Using JWEs "Gnarly Roads" pwhex files, but haven't gotten far enough in to see its effects. Now, to get John 3rd to change the Allied land OOB over to DBBs.

Looking forward to the new air stuff.

< Message edited by ny59giants -- 10/21/2013 7:28:57 PM >

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 23
RE: For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) - 10/21/2013 7:37:23 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

I see you are playing Iron version of DaBigBabes C. Maybe the Iron version has the AI files?

I'm assuming that's the case.

However, the AI leaves a bit to be desired at the moment.

I'm hoping symon can give it some oomph.

Hans

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 24
RE: For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) - 10/21/2013 9:31:59 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mundy

I've been happy with DBB-C with stacking limits.  It really changes how you play.  Places like Noumea aren't an industrial strength dumping ground for US troops anymore.  In my new game, we're also trying the China slowdown mod.

Ed-

I knew someone (he's passed) who was in the quartermaster corps (or whatever they called it then, I forget) and was based at Noumea. He didn't give me a lot of detailed info but he did talk about the amazing huge fleet of just about everything that was parked there once, a thousand ships or more. I guess Helen was there and must've been pretty ugly by then. It must have been really difficult to operate there, but he never got malaria or talked about it, so I guess the game is right about keeping it just barely out of the zone. I know wind is very bad for mosquitoes (not the planes) so I suppose that's why it was clear, without jungle to impede the wind.

Oh, and DaBigBabes C with stacking limits rocks.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 10/21/2013 9:46:02 PM >

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 25
RE: For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) - 10/21/2013 11:43:32 PM   
rockmedic109

DaBigBabes C with stacking limits.....playable against the AI?!?!?!?? One more restart coming up. And I am looking forward to it.....my wife, not so much.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 26
RE: For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) - 10/21/2013 11:59:05 PM   
SqzMyLemon

I'd suggest Japanese players lower their expectations. There's a bit of culture shock that takes some getting used to, at least in my case.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 10/22/2013 4:23:47 AM >

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 27
RE: For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) - 10/22/2013 2:35:16 AM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Even if it is a dumb AI, it would still be amazing to play DaBabes against it

I personally like the logistical challenges of the game more than the tactical ones

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 28
RE: For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) - 10/22/2013 3:13:09 AM   
Feltan

I am in March 42 of DaIronBabes C, Allies against AI with the crappy Asian road mod.

To date, the AI is rather standard -- similar to what you would see in Scenario 1 and 2. I am not disappointed, nor elated.

The biggest difference one notes immediately is the reduced cargo capacity. However, for me, the biggest hit is in the reduced range of many AK/AP ships. This causes challenges. One cannot easily run a cargo convoy from San Francisco to Noumea and return. Often there isn't enough fuel for the return leg -- which requires a mid-Ocean refueling stop -- which stresses the limited TK capacity early in the game to create yet another fuel depot. Bases like Auckland, Pago Pago and French Tahiti all of a sudden have new importance. I think a more historical importance rather than just being another blob of land to be defended -- you actually need them now. This is a different experience than one has in vanilla.

Very pleased so far even early in the game.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 29
RE: For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) - 10/22/2013 6:36:19 AM   
Barb

I am too trying out DaIronBabes-C with stacking limits against Jap.AI. And I really do love the stacking limits as well as reduced cargo capacity and other stuff. AI being what it is

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> For all the newcomers (and the old ones too) Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI