I've been adding some images from Wikipedia, etc. to plug a few missing ones in the database. Is sharing with the community encouraged or discouraged?
< Message edited by boogabooga -- 1/13/2020 10:12:51 PM >
Certainly you are free to create and share your own image packages. However, I think that doing so will interfere with the automatic download of new images, as we make them available. If I may suggest the following:
1) Create a folder and Title it "My CMO Images"
2) COPY your CMO/DB/Images file here. Currently, you should have 4,861 images in the CWDB subfolder, and 10,858 images in the DB3000 subfolder. (Note: I will call this the "official" Image update package for ease of reference. In fact, it is not produced by Warfare Sims, but is maintained entirely by a small team of volunteers)
3) Create another 2 subfolders in "My CMO Images" titled "My DB3000" and "My CWDB"
4) When you find an image you like to use or replace an existing CMO image, place it in the appropriate "My CWDB" subfolder. I will call these "Personal Images"
5) COPY these "Personal Images" to your CMO/DB/Images and place it in the appropriate CWDB or DB3000 folder
When we release the new image packages (which generally happens in April, June and September) do the following:
A) Delete your CMO/DB/Images folder, This will eliminate all your images from the game.
B) COPY your "My CMO Images" Images file (NOT your altered "My DB3000" and "My CWDB" folders to your CMO/DB/Images). You now have a copy of the previous "official" database images released
C) Start CMO and wait a couple of hours. It will download the revised images that were released with the latest update. Typically, we release around 500-800 new images with each update. When this process is completed, you now have the most recent and latest "official" updated on your computer. However, your Personal images are no longer included.
D) COPY your CMO/DB/Images file back to your "My CMO Images" folder. You now have a complete copy of the latest image package. You will want this when the next "official" update happens.
E) COPY Your "Personal Images" from your "My CWDB" subfolders and place them in the appropriate folders. If the "official" update didnt' include an image for that platform, your image will immediately occupy the slot for the platform. If the "official" update did include a new image for that platform, you will be given a choice as to whether use the official image or overwrite it with your personal image.
As an aside, If you want to provide any images you find to the "official" data package, PM me or kgambit and include the image, the link where you got it, and the system you think it should replace, such as "Ship_2147" or "Weapon_381". If we include it, we will give you credit. If you want to work with us on this project, PM me, and I"ll get you set up.
< Message edited by CV60 -- 1/14/2020 11:26:01 AM >