Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Import/Export Facilities DB

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Useful Material >> RE: Import/Export Facilities DB Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 10/18/2020 6:18:11 PM   
Rob322

Leeuwarden Air Base is a current operating Royal Dutch Air Force base in the Friesland province of the Netherlands, located near the North Sea. It is located just outside the provincial capital of Leeuwarden and was initially constructed in 1938 for civilian uses. The invading Germans re-purposed it into a fighter base, flying BF-109's out of it for most of the war. In 1949, the Dutch turned into a military airfield of their own and by the late 1980's it was home to two fighter squadrons, No. 322 "Action, Not Words" Squadron and No. 323 Squadron, both flying 18 F-16A's (incidentally, the 322 squadron lived up to it's name as two of it's aircraft were the only allied planes to drop bombs on Serbian troops during the 1995 fall of Srebrenica).

Today only the 322nd remains at the base with 15 F-16's. It may be a candidate for the F-35 in the future. The Dutch have also stationed a 4 ship squadron of MQ-9 Reaper drones as of 2016.

As always, feedback is welcome. Ammo storage for this base is really guesswork on my part and I should note that the runways up to at least the early 1990's were shorter, with each one probably dropping one length category but since the base is still in operation I chose to add what exists now. Enjoy!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 121
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 10/19/2020 5:57:16 AM   
Rob322

Two more for now ...

Volkel Air Base: Volkel started out as a Luftwaffe base during the war. After an initial occupation by the RAF, the Dutch took over and have continued to operate here. In it's heyday, it had 3 squadrons, the 311th, 312th and 313th, flying F-104's and then F-16's. Volkel is also well known for housing American B-61 nuclear weapons that they made available to NATO allies under the controversial "nuclear sharing" policy. Today two F-16 squadrons remain and the F-35 is expected soon.

De Peel Air Base: De Peel was a diversionary air base constructed in 1954. It wasn't uncommon to find elements of other squadrons deployed here temporarily. The base and runways are still intact but these days it's the property of the Dutch Army who have various anti-aircraft batteries located here. Still, it seems the facilities from the Air Force days are essentially intact.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 122
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 10/25/2020 4:16:38 AM   
Rob322

Zwenthe Air Base started life as a civilian airfield in 1931 serving the nearby City of Enschede on the Dutch-German border. After the invasion of the Netherlands they converted the field into an airbase and after the war, the Royal Dutch Air Force took over, using it until 2007. Two squadrons were primarily based here, the 313th and 315th FIghter Bomber Squadrons, last equipped with F-16's.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 123
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 10/26/2020 2:34:39 AM   
Rob322

Gilze-Rijen AB: This is apparently the oldest airfield in the Netherlands, seeing the first flight around 1910 and the first military flight around 1913. During past years it was a major training base and then in the late 1960's became home to a fighter squadron of F-5's (later F-16's). The fighters left in 1995 and now it currently serves as home to the Dutch fleet of helicopters.

Eindhoven AB: A current NATO base that is also paired with a civilian airport. The cold war fighters are gone but now serves an important role in cargo units. The small facilities for fighters remain although I was frankly guessing at location of ammo and fuel.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 124
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 10/26/2020 4:17:18 AM   
Rob322

Woensdrecht AB: Woensdrecht AB is a long time training and transport air base that operates to this day In the 1980's NATO planned to base 48 Tomahawk GLCM's. The construction of the bunkers to house the TEL's was completed but the INF treaty stopped the deployment. I have included them for fun, including a notional marine security unit but if you'd rather delete them feel free.

Valkenburg NAB: A base of the Royal Dutch Navy from 1947-2006. The Dutch Navy flew P-3 patrols of the English Channel and North Sea from here. The plans are to replace this with housing and much of the airfield had to be guessed at.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 125
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 11/10/2020 7:45:57 AM   
morphin

Rob Do you have AB in ASIA region that are used by USA?

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 126
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 11/10/2020 5:36:10 PM   
morphin

I have found in the import directory..

It seems that the items in the exporImport directory was last updated 2018 (and most are older). I suppose nobody is updating it anymore?

(in reply to morphin)
Post #: 127
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 11/12/2020 2:44:37 AM   
Rob322

They're updating it. They update Germany and Italy frequently enough but I've seen other updates happen here or there.

I don't have anything in Asia yet. I've done the US (SAC/TAC mostly plus other things) and am working on Europe. In fact plan to drop Belgium soon, very soon.

(in reply to morphin)
Post #: 128
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 11/12/2020 3:38:46 AM   
Rob322

So here is Belgium ... 10 airbases, including the 5 operational bases during the late Cold War, a few reserve/dispersal fields (could've added 5-6 more), a transport base and a POMCUS site with associated airfield. Enjoy and next, on to France!

Beauvechain AB: Beauvechain AB is a current base flying the 1st Wing flying Helos. Between 1979-1996, the 1st Fighter Wing was here, flying 48 F-16's in two squadrons.

Chievres AB: Currently the main airfield for SHAPE HQ and also attached to the 86th Airlift Wing out of Ramstein AFB in Germany. Prior to this, it was home to the now disbanded 7th Fighter Wing of the Belgian Air Force. It is a current base with a heavy US presence. It could clearly accommodate at least a couple squadrons of warplanes in an emergency, although ammo is guessed at.

Florennes AB: Home to the 2nd Fighter Wing with F-16's. During the end of the Cold War, it also served as a base for 48 GLCM's. I have gone ahead and added this (as well as a notional company of US Marines) so if your scenario is from before or after their deployment you'll want to remove them.

Jehonville AB: A reserve/dispersal airbase in the Ardennes. While it has no permanent units attached it can accommodate a squadron if need be. There is an immense ammo field to the northeast, just off the edge of the runway oddly. I chose not to include this as I'm assuming it's not really meant for the airfield.

Kleine-Brogel AB: An airbase on the Dutch border, it is home to the 10th Fighter Wing, flying F-16's and reputedly home to at least 20 B-61 nuclear weapons shared with the US.

Liege AB: A civilian airport, in the late 1980's it was home to the 3rd fighter wing, flying 36 Mirage V's and 22 recon versions. Also known as Bierset AB or Bierset-Liege AB.

St. Truiden AB: St. Truiden (or Sint-Truiden) AB is a former Belgian airbase, closing in the 1990's and transitioning to civilian use. In the late 1980's it was a training base flying 32 Alphajets of the 9th Fighter Wing in the training/attack role.

Ursel AB: A field in Western Belgium, it served as a dispersal airfield with minimal facilities. It can accommodate a few planes but is a small base.

Weelde AB: A reserve airbase, stores numerous retired aircraft such as older F-16's.

Zutendaal AB: A reserve airbase in the far east of Belgium, it also appears to be a former POMCUS site. According to Any Johnson's OOB, the US 1st Cavalry Division was supposed to draw it's equipment from here. Today it still serves in a similar roll.

Fun facts about Belgian Air Base. It was pretty common to let civilians use the airfields as well, mainly on the weekends (more frequently for the reserve airfields). I only mention this as it might make a battle involving Belgian airbases more interesting should you choose to include them.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 129
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 11/15/2020 1:57:54 AM   
Rob322

Moving on to France ...

Cazaux Air Base: Currently in existence, Cazaux is a major training command with 3 squadrons of Alphajets. Also home to No 150 Squadron of the SIngapore Air Force who trains here.

Cambrai Air Base: A large facility in Northern France that closed in 2012. Prior to that had been a fighter base, flying Mirage F-1's late in the Cold War.

Colmar Air Base: A frontline base near the Rhine, Colmar was built during the early Cold War to improve NATO's air defense capabilities. She cycled through several aircraft, from F-86's, Mirage III's/V's and then Mirage F-1's. The air force left in 2010 and it is now home to a Mechanized Infantry Unit, the "Régiment de marche du Tchad" (the ad-hoc regiment of Chad), a component of the French 2nd Armored Brigade.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rob322 -- 11/15/2020 1:58:21 AM >

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 130
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 11/18/2020 5:54:23 AM   
Rob322

Strasbourg AB: Strasbourg was home to a recon wing for years, converting during the 1980's from the Mirage III to the F-1CR. In 1992 the base closed and is now the main airport for Strasbourg.

Reims AB: An old base dating back to the 1920's, it has an interesting story, including serving as Eisenhower's HQ in 1945. A fighter base with Mirage F-1's, it closed in 2012.

Luxeuil AB: An active base, seems to store a decent quantity of nukes. Currently home to a Mirage 2000 squadron.

Évreux-Fauville AB: This is a large base to the west of Paris and has served primarily for transports. When the USAF was here they had a couple of Transport Wings here and the French have continued that, with both transports but also electronic and recon squadrons based here.

Toul AB: Toul began as an American base. After France asked foreign NATO forces to leave their territory, the French Air Force took over and housed a wing of Jaguar attack planes (72 a/c in 4 squadrons).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rob322 -- 11/18/2020 5:55:01 AM >

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 131
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 11/19/2020 6:05:05 AM   
Rob322

With this, I think I'm done with France. I think I'm going to look at some bases in the former East Germany next ...

Metz AB: A forward airbase near the French city of Metz, it had a long history, actually starting in WW1 when this was officially German territory. It's changed hands a few times but by the late 20th Century the base was being used by the French as a base for ELINT squadrons and command and control. There's room to accommodate at least a squadron or two of aircraft.

Mont-de-Marsan AB: A base in the SW of France. Currently flies two squadrons of Rafale and one of Mirage 2000 in Escarde de Chasse 30. Prior to this it was home to a couple Mirage IV nuclear bomber squadrons.

I found the French bases interesting. There was a good deal of uniformity. For example many front line bases had 2400m runways and their penchant for dispersing their planes in "kidney" shaped dispersal groupings (with 2-5 per airfield) was visually interesting and made for smooth creating. Indeed some bases were so similar one could almost serve as a template for another. I'm curious and excited for what I might find east of the Iron Curtain.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 132
RE: Import/Export Facilities DB - 11/21/2020 8:35:11 PM   
Rob322

Okay, I was wrong, I wasn't done with France, two more.

Centres de Détection et de Contrôle: This collection of radars and bunkers serve as the Air Defense system for France. The bunkers at Lyon - Mont Verdun AB also serve as a nuclear retreat command post. I've simply guessed at both security and structures as very scant information is available, as you'd expect.

Tours Val de Loire: One of the radar sites in the above group is located at this airfield, a joint civil/military airport. Still, I discovered it holds 40-60 Alphajets and Mirages and so couldn't pass it up.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 133
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Useful Material >> RE: Import/Export Facilities DB Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI