About the possible weapons on the Knox-class fantail None/Sea Sparrow/Phalanx and other equipments on this class..
- I did try three of years ago to get some results about it, but they are not complete.
- The data on Jane's 1981-1982 and Conway's 1947-1995 are correct but not complete.
- We can use the photos on navysource.org Knox frigate-by-Knox frigate to get some results, but just on this class a lot of photos are bad dated (they are a lot of phots dated 199X but taked many years earlier, without the bow bulwarks and spray strakes, installed from 1979 on the bow, Jane's states on 1981 were installed on FF 1065, 1067, 1069, 1072, 1075, 1079, 1081, 1095 and 1097). As consequence, some Knoxes semble to get another time the Sea Sparrow mount replacing the previous Phalanx!!!).
- The Knoxes were originally without weapons on the fantail.
- Basic initial radars SPS-10 and SPS-40 (in lieu of SPS-40 FF 1070 Downes has SPS-58 or more probably Mk23 TAS in 1975, later reverted to SPS-40 circa 1985, when the Sea Sparrow was replaced by Phalanx).
- SPS-10 replaced gradually by SPS-67 as earlier from 1983?, later LN-66 added.
- Basic initial sonar SQS-26 (hull).
- From FY 1972 to 1975 modified to accept SH-2 Seasprite (previously conceived only for the Gyrodyne DASH rotary wing drone).
- The “Sea Sparrow BPMDS (Mk25) installed in 31 ships from 1971-75 (FF-1052-1069, 1071-1083)” states Jane's 1981-1982 (and NATO Sea Sparrow Mk29 in USS Downes, also equipped with TAS SPS-58 or Mk23 radar replacing SPS-40 between 1975-1985). The other 14 ships were earmarked to receive Sea Chaparral, but this installation was cancelled. This Knoxes never received the two aft long torpedo tubes for 8xMk37 (but were intalled in the derivative Spanish Baleares-class, those long torpedo tubes were also deleted later on Baleares-class).
- Knoxes Harpoon equipped from August 1976 (first ship USS Ainsworth) 2xHarpoon in ASROC launcher and 2xHarpoon more on the ASROC reload magazine. Jane's states 2x4 Harpoon launchers were installed in 1981 on FF 1054-1062, 1066, 1067, 1069-1071, 1073, 1074, 1077, 1080-1086, and 1088-1096, but by photographic evidence this be related with the Harpoon fired from the ASROC launcher, not photo evidence of 2x4 Harpoon mounts on Knoxes (but were installed on the Spanish Baleares-class).
- Mk33 chaffroc RBOC decoy launchers to be replaced (from 1982?) by Mk36 Super RBOC, states Jane's, with some confussion about concrete decoy launchers designations.
- SQS-35 VDS sonar in all Knoxes from 1972 except FF 1053-1055, 1057-1062, 1072 and 1077.
- SQR-18A/SQR-18(V)1 TACTAS approved in Fiscal Year 1980 to be installed on twelve Knoxes, employing the SQS-35 "fish" to tow SQR-18, later FY 1981 includes another four more. Later, another nineteen Knoxes with SQS-35 to be equipped with SQR-18A in next years, except FF 1053-1055, 1057-1062, 1072 and 1077 (those without SQS-35), states Jane's 1981-1982. Later (1985?) not SQS-35 ships equipped with SQR-18(V)2.
- On 1991 SQS-35 deactivated ("High Tide" Harpoon annex).
- From the photographic evidence ship-by-ship in navysource.org: at least Knox and Roark retained Sea Sparrow to the end, and Miller and Valdez were the only without Sea Sparrow or Phalanx added on fantail.
< Message edited by Broncepulido -- 7/23/2014 8:57:57 AM >