Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Check out my latest article - Strategy games and Education

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Check out my latest article - Strategy games and Education Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Check out my latest article - Strategy games and Education - 10/3/2013 8:01:00 AM   
JeanAllTrekkie

Have a read - http://the-strategy-wargamer.tumblr.com

Learn about the best Strategy Wargames visit:

www.strategywargamer.com
Post #: 1
RE: Check out my latest article - Strategy games and Ed... - 10/3/2013 9:30:54 AM   
Boomer78

Good points. I myself have often wondered why they don't incorporate some strategy games into at high school if not college history courses. It allows for more detailed examination of politics, military, and economics, and can even make the learning process fun.

I remember my freshman American history book and laughing at some of the material. The textbook covered the civil war in like 3 short chapters. It started with the Bloody Kansas ordeal and Free State initiatives, moved to Lincoln becoming elected, described a few brief outlines of battles (mainly Lee vs Grant in '64) and then ended with a chapter on reconstruction. It was as if a tired college teacher's aid wrote the entire section on a bender of pizza, mountain dew, and 30 minute naps.

Strategy games offer a wide berth of detail, the scope expands and with gaming choices, students could even see what might happen if something was stopped here or tweaked there. I know West Point and VMI use strategy games, why couldn't public schools?

"Fly, god dammit it fly! God damn cheap Japanese flying packs!"

(in reply to JeanAllTrekkie)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Check out my latest article - Strategy games and Education Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI