Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Underwater range rings for unidentified contacts?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Underwater range rings for unidentified contacts? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Underwater range rings for unidentified contacts? - 10/1/2013 2:50:18 AM   
kaburke61

How come I am getting enemy range rings (like underwater weapons range and sonar range), on contacts that are still unidentified?

In the Maria and Victoria scenario for instance, I have found 4 "skunks" and have no idea what they are (in fact I don't even have course range speed info). However, I do have range rings (that are different sizes among the contacts).

Bug?

Thanks.

< Message edited by kaburke61 -- 10/1/2013 3:23:57 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Underwater range fings for unidentified contacts? - 10/1/2013 2:53:23 AM   
RoryAndersonCDT

They might have been identified definitively as a specific type of submarine but not determined to be hostile.

Command Dev Team

(in reply to kaburke61)
Post #: 2
RE: Underwater range fings for unidentified contacts? - 10/1/2013 2:54:51 AM   
mikmykWS

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaburke61

How come I am getting enemy range rings (like underwater weapons range and sonar range), on contacts that are still unidentified?

In the Maria and Victoria scenario for instance, I have found 4 "skunks" and have no idea what they are (in fact I don't even have course range speed info). However, I do have range rings (that are different sizes among the contacts).

Bug?

Thanks.

What's it know about the targets? Class, sensor, anything?

Mike

(in reply to kaburke61)
Post #: 3
RE: Underwater range fings for unidentified contacts? - 10/1/2013 3:23:20 AM   
kaburke61

Hi Mike

It didn't know anything about them (just "skunk") with course XXX and speed XXX. They were different sizes around units too making me believe it was showing me the range rings prematurely?

Kev

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 4
RE: Underwater range fings for unidentified contacts? - 10/1/2013 3:25:16 AM   
mikmykWS

What color are the rings? Morphing yellow boxes are uncertainty zones. Greens are sonar. Whites and Yellows are Sensors. Reds are weapons.

Anything dotted is a theoretical range (aka given what you know about the target the AI helps makes a best guess and draws a ring).

< Message edited by mikmyk -- 10/1/2013 3:26:27 AM >

(in reply to kaburke61)
Post #: 5
RE: Underwater range fings for unidentified contacts? - 10/1/2013 3:48:43 AM   
kaburke61

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

What color are the rings? Morphing yellow boxes are uncertainty zones. Greens are sonar. Whites and Yellows are Sensors. Reds are weapons.

Anything dotted is a theoretical range (aka given what you know about the target the AI helps makes a best guess and draws a ring).

Yep, it's not the uncertainty zones, those are there too and "bolder".

They were underwater sensor and surface sensor rings (dotted of course). If it doesn't know anything (I.E. "skunk" only), how does it guess what kind of range rings to show?

On a completely different thread (I don't want to +1 an older one, but It never was replied to), did you ever get a chance to check out the group speed question? I grouped a 21kt and a 31kt together and the speed for the group was still 31 (and I could set to 31 and it would leave the 21 in the dust. Even with the "allow to slow" flag checked).

Thanks for the help,

Kevin

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 6
RE: Underwater range fings for unidentified contacts? - 10/1/2013 4:04:32 AM   
mikmykWS

Okay was the sub ever surfaced to get an ESM hit? If so it will draw the rings based on that info. If you do see this again please post a picture. I tried replicating tonight for a bit but only got them when I got a hit of some sort.

Formation issue was registered. Sorry for the lack of a post. We are actively working on an update so time on forums has been far less than I want.

Mike

(in reply to kaburke61)
Post #: 7
RE: Underwater range fings for unidentified contacts? - 10/1/2013 4:48:46 AM   
kaburke61

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

Okay was the sub ever surfaced to get an ESM hit? If so it will draw the rings based on that info. If you do see this again please post a picture. I tried replicating tonight for a bit but only got them when I got a hit of some sort.

Formation issue was registered. Sorry for the lack of a post. We are actively working on an update so time on forums has been far less than I want.

Mike

Yep, I went to periscope depth more than once. I see that it detected HF and MF sonars, but couldn't uniquely identify emitters or anything. I was thinking that it couldn't give me the range rings until it knew definitively what class. Maybe it just based on signal strength or something like that? OK...that works.

As far as the other observation (group speed), that's great! Thanks for noting it. Less forum for more develop time is fine on this end

Thanks for the help,

Kevin

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Underwater range rings for unidentified contacts? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI