I'm preparing a defensive line for the Germans as I hit early/mid October. This is my first run-through of this game. Some questions that I have:
1. Should I split my divisions into regiments and have them build a defensive line three hexes deep?
I wouldn't, but some breakdown can be useful.
Do regiments fortify as quickly as full divisions?
2. If I put a unit into Refit or Reserve, will it still fortify its existing hex?
3. Do Fortification units fortify?
I built some last turn as placeholders in the line, none of them seem to have started fortifying?
You need to let them flesh out and if you want fast growth, stack with them and attach engineers/construction units to them. Their main use is to enable growth to level 4 forts and level 5 in ports, also as decay prevention.
Also, two questions on air units:
1. How close do Me109 units need to be to the front line? I never seem to have any escorts available on bomber missions.
I keep mine fairly close or if I have spare capacity (rarely) and fear over run, use an empty base close front to stage from.
2. Should I keep my air base units with the FBD units as they move forward rebuilding the railroads, or should I send them on ahead to right behind the front line? If the latter, will they still have supply for missions?
Logistics is fantasy land here but one improvement was to make bases used for air supply have to be within 5 MP of a rail head.
Thanks, from a newbie!
“Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man.”