Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Project management software

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Project management software Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Project management software - 8/31/2013 11:40:06 AM   
Disco Duck

Delete. Wrong forum.

< Message edited by Disco Duck -- 8/31/2013 11:41:10 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Project management software - 8/31/2013 2:31:07 PM   
JohnDillworth

OK answer is MS project is fine for most anything. Remember your durations are most important and should be correctly established before putting in actual resources. used named resources instead of generics (developer 1, developer 2, tester 1). For very large projects (building construction) consider Primavera. For diverse teams I really like Basecamp from 37 signals. http://37signals.com/
With any project management software it is jut a tool. You need to manage the tool. If you are starting your project by putting in end dates before you know the durations you have already failed. Stick to your guns, find out all the tasks, put in the correct durations and dependencies and manage to the durations to completion. Hope this helps

Art comforts the disturbed and disturbs the comfortable.

(in reply to Disco Duck)
Post #: 2
RE: Project management software - 8/31/2013 5:51:28 PM   
Disco Duck

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

OK answer is MS project is fine for most anything. Remember your durations are most important and should be correctly established before putting in actual resources. used named resources instead of generics (developer 1, developer 2, tester 1). For very large projects (building construction) consider Primavera. For diverse teams I really like Basecamp from 37 signals. http://37signals.com/
With any project management software it is jut a tool. You need to manage the tool. If you are starting your project by putting in end dates before you know the durations you have already failed. Stick to your guns, find out all the tasks, put in the correct durations and dependencies and manage to the durations to completion. Hope this helps

You haven't worked for the companies I have. Generally I have been told: " The tool arrives on date x, have it up and running by date y, work all the overtime you want".

Maybe the original message got confusing because I deleted it to move the question over to the war room. I am trying to use a project program to help me keep track of my tasks in WITP.
I guess I am just OCD enough to want everything to line up to game date. I have Open project for the Mac. But like every other program I have found the calendar is hard coded to the computer date. That means the present date never matches the game date.

Thanks for the reply

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 3
RE: Project management software - 8/31/2013 11:09:28 PM   
JohnDillworth

I get the same thing. Overtime doesn't always do it, particularly with a project with a lot of interdependencies. My reply was sarcastic but MS project lets you set dates that are not tied to the system clock. I don't know open project that well but I suspect there is a way to do it there. Thats pretty hard core for WITP

Art comforts the disturbed and disturbs the comfortable.

(in reply to Disco Duck)
Post #: 4
RE: Project management software - 8/31/2013 11:32:40 PM   
Crackaces

I find an excel spreadsheet to work very well in this regard. I find program/project management software having lots of complexity/overhead mainly to communicate program/project details to various audiences. Since there is just me, I find a spreadsheet and tools like WitP Tracker quite capable of organization my thoughts ... :)

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Project management software Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI